Jujutsu Kaisen

Episode 4
Woof. This was a break the cutie episode, but I always enjoy seeing a shounen protagonist that has to learn bravery rather than being innately fearless to any level of threat, which is far more boring.
And judging by the preview there's gonna be consequences from him being traumatized like that, preventing him from coming back out.

Beef jerky fingers not letting himself be an easily convenient tool without danger is pretty neat, too.

My theory about the threat class is that a curse that reaches the most dangerous classification thanks to obtaining one of those fingers is still going to be innately inferior to a curse that unlocked that status by its own strength, and the truly disastrous scenario is one of those obtaining an artifact such as the fingers. That, and my guess is curses have changed with time, leaving the categorization system maladjusted.

I do hope we'll get to see more about how Jujutsu works in practice, which would tell more about how to deal with curses besides hitting them hard.
These episodes fly by almost annoyingly fast.

The transition between episode 3 and 4 was incredibly jarring... I was like "wait who tf is this dude and what's up with a mission?" I had to go back to the end of ep 3 to check if I missed something but no...
And also this episode just made realize that I really don't care about any of what is happening... I now remember why I have not seen a long shounen in a long time. The idea of "oh yeah let's just go fight this monster" is so fucking boring to me.

This is still as good as the last three episodes in the end, it's just that for a bit this show managed to make me believe that it was gonna be more than what it is: yet another shounen jump battle action show.

The transition between episode 3 and 4 was incredibly jarring... I was like "wait who tf is this dude and what's up with a mission?" I had to go back to the end of ep 3 to check if I missed something but no...
Yes? Episode 3 directly foreshadowed the mission at the end, and even cryptically said what the outcome will be of whatever happens in ep 5.

Nekus said:
The idea of "oh yeah let's just go fight this monster" is so fucking boring to me.
But it wasn't. It was search & rescue.

Well this was the most boringly shounen ep since ep 1. I struggled to keep my eyes on the screen. I was hoping to get something more than man try to punch monster real good and think about his shallow morality. Episodes 2 and 3 were a tier and a half higher than this one.
Fingers man came in clutch. I hope he doesn't just show up every time things get slightly iffy. That sure is convenient, eh.
It doesn't the help that this show suffers from art fluctuation big time. The show looks incredibly dull whenever there isn't a big flashy action moment and then suddenly starts looking really dynamic and cool, but the problem being that when it's not flashy, the dullness has no charm to it like it does in mob psycho 100. It's just the most boring looking anime ever visually up until something actually happens.

Hope the next episode actually has something to it.

Fingers man came in clutch. I hope he doesn't just show up every time things get slightly iffy. That sure is convenient, eh.
Well the fact that he has to surrender control of his body to a murderous fiend that's determined to be as uncooperative as possible in order to have a shot at winning kind of balances things out. Letting Sukuna call the shots is a Hail Mary in that it could go wrong very easily. This is a shounen manga so I'm sure the Itadori will find his own way to become independently strong without having to rely so much on Sukuna.

Well the fact that he has to surrender control of his body to a murderous fiend that's determined to be as uncooperative as possible in order to have a shot at winning kind of balances things out. Letting Sukuna call the shots is a Hail Mary in that it could go wrong very easily. This is a shounen manga so I'm sure the Itadori will find his own way to become independently strong without having to rely so much on Sukuna.
sure worked perfectly well without a hitch for him in this episode though.

So far, so good. MC is mainly reactive to most of the things happening plot-wise, but he's not so boring that you forget all about him later on. He's got the traits of your standard shonen hero, but I like the ego trip this series gives him. It helped that they broke his original grandpa-centric motive so early on and forced him to do the Jujutsu Juju thing for more personal reasons.

The latest episode's a banger. It's the kind of thing you expect to kick in about halfway through the series, but no, bam fuck you, playtime's over, we're throwing everyone in a life-or-death situation right the fuck now. It's been fun.

I love the organic group dynamic between the characters, and Nobara is an amazing addition to the cast with her abrasively confident and sassy personality.

The trio's chemistry might be my favorite thing about this so far. It's always so funny to see the two country bumpkins go at it while the tired city boy's just standing there putting up with all of it. Sure hope everyone remembers to let the episode run all the way through, even after the ED. The omakes that come after the episodes have been really funny stuff.

what's the selling point of this show, folks?
So far the selling point is some dope action animation,
tenor.gif

and the developing chemistry between the lead characters.
The main storyline doesn't seem to have really kicked in yet, but it's a two-cour season so that probably won't be an issue for long.
Might change in the future but it is an action shounen of the variety where you kick back, relax and enjoy some fun spectacle and drama that is likely to just grow and develop as the series goes on.

Pretty far from "high art" storywise, though.

Last edited:
Im relieved to hear we are getting a full season, this would be a certain fail otherwise.

The show is growing on me but honestly the really nice art style along with animation is the main pillar of my enjoyment. I really dont feel any attachment to the characters, and they are trying hard to make the MC this relatable dude with a heavy hitting backstory but it just isnt clicking yet. The MC is a little too close to being a Chosen One for my liking, and this dark power he has reminds me a bit too much of Naruto's Ninetales for my liking. The show is bluffing that relying on this power will have dire consequences, but even if they go through with it I dont see myself getting teary eyed over any of these characters dying.

Pretty decent, will keep watching, if the art and animation falters probably will drop it.

So far the selling point is some dope action animation,
tenor.gif

and the developing chemistry between the lead characters.
The main storyline doesn't seem to have really kicked in yet, but it's a two-cour season so that probably won't be an issue for long.
Might change in the future but it is an action shounen of the variety where you kick back, relax and enjoy some fun spectacle and drama that is likely to just grow and develop as the series goes on.

Pretty far from "high art" storywise, though.
okay, thanks, will give it a shot then

This sounds interesting, though I'm not really a fan of horror.

How gruesome/gory is the manga?
(as a measuring stick, I found Attack on Titan too gory)

if you found attack on titan to gory, i don't recommend you to watch Jujutsu Kaisen

i used to find attack on titan gory but during lockdown i got into it, it's honestly worth giving a try you pretty much get used to the titans.

So far this show is great. I don't have any analysis to bring, but it's already better than most shounens out there today, which isn't a high bar, but still.

I know bringing physics up when talking about a shounen is pretty dumb but holy shit... Fushiguro just flew over an entire city block and broke like 10 fucking pillars of cement and he just gets up without a problem...? It's annoying...
Did they ever give an excuse like "oh yeah bla bla curse power is defending him"?

I know no one on the face of the earth believes that the mc actually died but the new team making a gag "ahah she didn't know he died" was so unfunny.

Of course, a tournament arc. How unexpected right?
At least it still looks good, but there really is no other reason to watch this...oh other than the best ED of 2020.

Last edited:
I've picked this one up hoping to witness a similar level of epicness that Parasyte The Maxim exhibited. But so far, five episodes in, it's falling far too short of that. The fights look dull, the monsters' design and sound effects are bland, the attempts at humor are feeble at best, and the overall flow is lacking in originality and excitement. Hopefully it gets better towards the second half at least.

Back