Jujutsu Kaisen

I'm a bit late to this one, but I rather enjoy the art style and the action of it. Also the cast does look quite good, and they seem to flow off of one another. I'm pretty happy I picked up this one on a whim.

I'm getting Yu Yu Hakusho vibes with the context and hair dos. It's a bit amusing that MC is 5.7ft tall and 176lb (according to the wiki) with the body of a workout pro, but he's a high school teenager. It's similar to western dramas where high school kids are people in their 20s, early 30s.

Last edited:
he’s in middle school

giphy-downsized-large.gif

The only glaring problem with this show is his abnormal super human abilities and the fact that he’s in middle school, I guess that japans middle schoolers are a bit older or they are just the evolved is versions of “average high schoolers” cause they are popping up everywhere. Other than that this show looks awesome for the first two epsiode!

1) High school, not middle school.
2) You did get the bit where he's special, right? As are all characters in their own way, which explains the special HIGH school. Which would make him have supernatural abilities kind of.. duh. If you have issues with the very premise of the show, which is a well-used trope in manga, anime and other media, why are you watching it?! This makes no sense.

Eh... I mean... it was ok I guess.
The visuals were nice, it just wasn't all that exciting.
Oh yeah, I forgot how this even started last time... an execution...

That ED dancin' lol.

This anime has failed to hook me. But I want to try the next episode, for reasons.

Last edited:

I always worry with shounen that have way better animation than they need, that they're simply compensating for a lacking plot. But at least in this case they're not compensating for a lacking premise.
The first episode didn't interest me much but it had potential to become something better in the next episode. And it did just that. Instead of just contriving some kind of conflict after he gets epic cursed powers, they're going with a more realistic AND more creative approach. He will die after all, but they're going to use him first since he is "special".

NBcCs4Q.png

Two mouths. Rappers hate him, he can spit bars faster than ever now.

I hope they find a way to see this concept through to the end and make it a good ride along the way. I'm not changing my score yet until I find out how they're going to handle this turn of events with future "fingers".
Also, what's with the animation getting so much better in episode two? I'm starting to think it was just the upload I got for episode 1 that looked shoddy.

03:

I must admit I didn't have a mind blowing strong impression of the first episode and thought it was just a pretty decent start for a shounen with familiar elements I've seen before. 2nd episode I was digging it more and third episode, I'm honestly sold now. I love the organic group dynamic between the characters, and Nobara is an amazing addition to the cast with her abrasively confident and sassy personality.

R7FqY1w.png

It's impossible for me not to smile about these goofy clowns. Nobara's bickering with Yuji is pretty fun, this is the start of a beautiful hot blooded friendship. Curses having a degree of intelligence also makes things more interesting. Good stuff, and I can't stop dancing to the ED either.

Last edited:
After three episodes i'm really impressed with this show. I'd written it off as some edgy supernatural show that would end up being another shitfest like Tokyo Ghoul, but i'm glad i gave it a shot now. I like all of the characters, with Nobara being a great addition. The art style and animation are better than i expected, even the crowds are pretty detailed way into the distance, which is unusual.

Definitely one of the show sim most invested in this season, looking forward to more.

03:

I must admit I didn't have a mind blowing strong impression of the first episode and thought it was just a pretty decent start for a shounen with familiar elements I've seen before. 2nd episode I was digging it more and third episode, I'm honestly sold now. I love the organic group dynamic between the characters, and Nobara is an amazing addition to the cast with her abrasively confident and sassy personality.

R7FqY1w.png

It's impossible for me not to smile about these goofy clowns. Nobara's bickering with Yuji is pretty fun, this is the start of a beautiful hot blooded friendship. Curses having a degree of intelligence also makes things more interesting. Good stuff, and I can't stop dancing to the ED either.
Yeah, there may not be a rapid-fire story pace or expansive plot with gripping character drama, but the series has done well to focus on a small cast and their chemistry so far. It even went out of its way to justify there only being three first-years. Oh I'm sure the cast size will swell plenty, it's a weekly action shounen after all, but we're working up a solid core here that will likely be polished more and more as the series goes on.

I always appreciate a Male-Female knucklehead duo in the main cast, so that makes me really happy to see being the case here. Though I will always laugh at the Japanese presenting heavily populated areas as "the countryside" because of how heavily skewed their perspective is by their ginormous megametropolis urban centers and sprawl, though at least Nobara does actually seem to be from somewhere properly rural. But man, Nobara's design looks sharp! I love it!

As for certain stuff that seems unexplained as of yet... certain shounen series recently have made me unable to dismiss such stuff as author overreach or plotholes, and I'm willing to wait for an explanation that was actually planned rather than being a mere improvised contrivance as was so common especially in the past.
I'm pretty happy this episode clarified that intelligence is actually a relevant factor in power scaling in this series. When they said "different from the countryside" I feared it meaning the curses were just generically stronger.

Oh, I was going to comment again on how there seems to be some amusing similarities between this series and Chainsaw Man, a slightly younger and grittier series from the same magazine, but then I noticed the latter's author has actually drawn Nobara before, so my idea that there's at least some inspiration going on probably isn't unfounded.
sfi6lrbemo041.jpg

Last edited:
Thoughts so far with the first three episodes:
Not going to lie, with how Mappa has cleaned up the character design compared to the manga, I think I much prefer the anime over the manga now. Though its not surprising to see a studio clean up character design, since Wit studio did that with Attack on Titan.

Overall, I really needed this anime after sitting through the Kagewani anime. And I liked how the manga made me feel nostalgic for urban fantasy anime like Bleach. However, unlike the short-term goals that were constantly being set in Bleach, right from the beginning Jujutsu Kaisen sets its long running goal when Yuji gets possessed by Sukuna.

And Yuji is a really awesome protagonist, in how he cannot look away from a problem if it means he can help others. Its sort of like a Spider-Man philosophy in a way. And yes, the chemistry between the characters really helps the story a lot, which is probably the major reason why its been able to stay in Shounen Jump. So it'll be exciting to see the characters and their development again in anime format.

But if I have to make one criticism regarding Jujutsu Kaisen, its going to be the story arc transitions. Some of them feel rough, like the author didn't have a clear idea of building to another arc smoothly. But since the author is in a weekly magazine, he probably doesn't have a lot of time, so its not that big of a deal. Overall, the Jujustu Kaisen anime is definitely going to be fun.

Megumi is a bit boring
He's my favorite so far. He seems like the most genuine of the four, kind of keeping them balanced and grounded. And it's apparent he cares about all of them. But all the same, it seems like he may have some secrets and troubles. Definitely the most interesting of the group.

The most boring are MC and the kakashi-sensei ripoff to me so far. Never been much for the quirky ignorant or the constantly smug types.

He's my favorite so far. He seems like the most genuine of the four, kind of keeping them balanced and grounded. And it's apparent he cares about all of them. But all the same, it seems like he may have some secrets and troubles. Definitely the most interesting of the group.

The most boring are MC and the kakashi-sensei ripoff to me so far. Never been much for the quirky ignorant or the constantly smug types.

I am not saying he is bad by any means and I am sure he will have more to say and show later, since these characters tend to be murky for serious reason. I understand what is or will be his role: As you say, the balancing person, serious when you need to be serious, cautious, mindful.

Sensei is jovial, which is fun. MC is a novice so he is trying to get a hang on and fit into the group, natural.

Gojou bae , Gojou husbandu xd

Back