Jujutsu Kaisen

That's fair. I do agree it gets super trope-y for its own good, but what you said is honestly me on a bad day. It's really not the best or the worst thing ever, but it's been okay enough for me so far to keep watching it.
No, I mean even after posting this I've watched another 4 episodes, and 2 of them were the best of what I've seen so far. One of my problems is how the show builds up momentum and intensity, then just pisses it away to focus on hijinks.

Double post but going back to this

I'm 11 episodes in and I'm pretty disappointed, shounen hasn't really been my wheel house anyway, but a lot of what I read about this tempted me towards it, but so far it just plays into some of the most infuriating shounen tropes there is; mood whiplash, the insistence of explaining what's happened, happening, and going to happen... and the lack of any actual Jiu Jitsu despite the name. Cool fights though, I guess.

I'm up to episode 20 now, so in spite of my pretty strong reservations, the show does still draw me in. I'm glad this little arc ended the way it did with a pretty decent fight, and I didn't hate all the student on student violence either. I can see why people like this show, even if it is tropey as all fuck and makes me say "for fuck sake" at least once every episode.

unknown.png

No... don't be so hard on yourself again Miwa.... I just want to give her some love.
unknown.png

We will not get along.

I slept so good watching this, I actually forgot I even watched it until a week later. Was there a new one this week? Guess I'll watch it someday.

From what I remember, it's just a smorgasbord of nobodies, a real who's who of characters no one gives a shit about.

Who's on first, what's on second, and I don't know is on third.

I just wish I could feel more attached to more of the characters besides Nobara, cause its hard to see Yuji more than just a martyr.
That's not fair dude, I mean, yugai or whatever has a lot of character and personality. He uh... wants to save everybody, and...

I forget.

And what about that blindfolds guy? He's super um... generically attractive for the female audience and... overpowered and... he uhhh adds a lot to the um... he totally needs to be in the show, he's there for um fuckin, um...

He uhhhhhhh...

But black spiky hair summoner guy tho? Oh my god, him tho?!?! He's like... he's there! He's onscreen every so often! So are the rest of them! And boy, they have convictions like... wanting to fight people and...

I wanna watch bleach.

Last edited:

taking a break from the action proved to be a good thing. It actually forced them to give megumi a reason to be there, making him officially the only person in the main cast who has any believable motivations or behaviors. And not one single flashback. Weird. It almost felt like a mob psycho 100 episode, except everyone's really annoying and naggy and there's absolutely no charm to be found. But at least gojo isn't there, so something actually meaningful might come from this, and they might actually be forced to get some kind of character growth. The only good things in the show so far have happened when he's not around.

I was thinking about how gojo is possibly the worst example of an overpowered main character ever in shounen, since his presence has no consequence to the heroes, and, instead of being a strong central figure that isn't a protagonist he's just kind of there when the plot needs him, and isn't at all inspiring. If this show had any good writing to speak of, the only way to fix him would be to kill him off or just remove him from the plot somehow. It would make a lot of sense for the main characters' development, and it would make me happy, so. I would lay down some praise if they did that.

This trio of main characters really reminds me of the trio from God of Highschool, except less interesting because instead of fighting constantly they just wander around and annoy each other, and the viewer, constantly. Except for megumi. He's alright.

I'm getting really tired of the League of Phantom Curses over here. I have no idea why they're doing anything they're doing to stay relevant. Extrovert shigiraki curse guy's philosophical pandering tells me nothing.

Last edited:
If this show had any good writing to speak of, the only way to fix him would be to kill him off or just remove him from the plot somehow. It would make a lot of sense for the main characters' development, and it would make me happy, so. I would lay down some praise if they did that.
That is actually what happens in the Shibuya Incident arc, where he gets captured by Geto with the Prison Realm box. Though he has been out of the story for quite a bit, it hasn't really bothered me that much. It did take a while for it to happen. And by the time it did, characters I liked were either dead or incapacitated afterwards. I was thinking more clearly on the series and how I felt about it by the end of the Shibuya Incident, which ended at 136.

At that point any energy I had for the series was gone. And there's nothing worse than reading a series you don't enjoy. I doubt I would feel any different if I were to see the arc animated.
22:
As for Mahito, I'm pretty sure the author intended for him to be a chaotic evil type of character. Like the Joker from Batman, except that the Joker is actually fun and charismatic. Mahito is all about turning people into curses, and I just don't find myself being into this particular character.

At least they gave some development to Megumi, though it took a while to happen. And I wouldn't be lying if my impression of him hasn't changed, but at least he wants to protect his sister. I do respect an anime character who puts their family first. And now the characters are going to be fighting some eldritch abominations, which would be great if I wasn't so tired of the series.

Monster of the week episode, yessir! More First Year Trio moments, heck yeah! Fushiguro backstory-ish, boo-ya!

punks-1.jpg

punks-2.jpg

I knew Nobara was my kind of gal.

Episode 21
Nice pitch!

Oh shit
they practically namedropped the arc everyone is hyping up for the next season.
Dodging asshole random spoilers on youtube has started to become real annoying.

Episode 22
They should probably change up the sound effects a bit. I can't help but laugh when a curse makes noise like some comedy skit on tiktok.

either episode 22 or 23 I don't remember

megumi's development was alright but his progression was weird.
that character progression didn't line up with his backstory at all. what the hell does going nuts and using up all your power at once have to do with a sister who doesn't want to hurt anyone? What does it have to do with wanting to off yourself to win all the time? Just makes no sense. Also I see this as a downgrade. I've always been all for self-sacrificial characters. Basically he was told to become more shouneny and "give it his all" more instead of having his own unique reserved way of fighting, thus making him more of a generic fighter.

How boring.

Megumi was super cool in this episode like the way he killed the demon was fire bro! Also it's good to see the blue eyed beauty himself gave Megumi words of encouragement ❤️

23:
Apparently the author likes butterflies.
I knew from a while back that Megumi had a black and white morality code that he followed in high school, and he still follows it too. Though I guess Megumi regrets alienating himself from his sister. So now he's choosing not to hold back against his foes anymore. But I feel like he's following Gojo's advice more than deciding for himself how he should fight. It doesn't feel natural honestly, and why is Gojo's advice being taken seriously? He's not that good of a teacher, even says so himself.

And now the guys are fighting a butterfly stripper man, cause why not?

*cheesy music starts playing*
*clip full of of flashy effects designed to get 10m views on youtube displays*
*none of it has any substance*
Thanks, MAPPA. You did your best.

This was really bad. It had like, three good and semi-original episodes total in its 24 episode run. I hope the next big shounen to be adapted actually has something new say. But the demographic has been like this for a while so I don't have much hope.

2/10

Episode 24 and overall thoughts:
Its sort of huge that a singer from Coldrain did the insert song for the episode. I will always like Coldrain.

Eso, that death painting butterfly guy, he really fucked up leaving his arm behind. After seeing Nobara's abilities you'd think he would be a bit more cautious, but whatever. Eso's brother sure got penetrated by Nobara though, if you know what I mean.

I'm noticing it now, but I wonder if the author is trying to ship Yuji and Nobara as a couple. That's the impression I got during this episode, but I could be wrong.
There's not really much to say about the series, whether it be the manga or the anime. I like seeing good animation, but animation can only do so much to help a series out. And I know this isn't the first time, but I feel like I wasn't looking at the series properly beforehand. I felt caught up in the moment, and it was only later on that I would truly stop and think about the series. JJK is a good introduction to newcomers is what I think. But in regards to myself, JJK is very "been there, done that." And no amount of Nobara is going to fix that.

I wish I could be more optimistic about the series, but I can't. JJK is an action supernatural shounen that is just that, an action supernatural shounen. And try as it might, that's all its going to be remembered as. 2/5.

Ngl I felt underwhelmed by Yuji and Nobara’s fight with the brothers. I mean the only good things from that fight were the art and song but not the whole thing. The episode also just felt rather rushed like it doesn’t help the series isn’t finished. I would say overall the show was good but not the best or that great tbh. I give it 7ish/10. Art and music the only ones that were good on the show. Also I will keep my Gojo sensei as my pfp tho for the time being cause honestly, he should’ve been the main character on the show x*(

Now that's how you end an action series. Damn. Studio frakkin' MAPPA. Thank you always for the work you people do.

hairpin.jpg

Nobara so metal. Jesus. Girl was straight-up going to impale herself to get rid of that guy. I've been saying it all season, but I think I'll say it one more time for good measure. More First Year Trio moments = More fun. They have such an easy chemistry and vibe about them so all their money shots are straight cash. I'd kill for some sweet fight scenes with all three of them at once.

Random funny bit with the truck drivers, too. Jujutsu sorcerers these days, blocking the roads with their shenanigans. No regard whatsoever for the people out here trying to make a decent living.

JJK is a good introduction to newcomers is what I think. But in regards to myself, JJK is very "been there, done that."

Yeah, the show really is that entry-level stuff you show to introduce new anime fans to the medium. It's perfect for converting a new generation of anime fans. I know if this was the first anime I'd ever watched in my life, I'd fall instantly hard for the entire medium.

Not the worst, not the best, but it’s better than all right and that’s good enough for me.

3.5/5 but 6/5 will simp for Todou Aoi.

Back