JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

Not the most exciting first episode, but having seen some of the earlier OAV run, I had a pretty good idea what to expect from episode 1. What does interest me is how they seem to be sticking far closer to Araki's artwork than in the previous season - they're obviously taking great pains to be as faithful as possible to the manga.

^ I'm guessing after the success of the first season, they probably got a pretty big bump in the budget so they can try to reproduce the more detailed art of the manga. The first episode did look pretty fabulous indeed, but the real test is going to be animating
Polnareff.

I was honestly not as happy with this introductory ep as I was with the openings for either of the preceding arcs. Sure, all the right elements are there to make it 'feel' like JoJo, but overall it comes across more haphazard and therefore lazier than the immaculately crafted mixture we had previously. I'll be hoping for a return to form with the next ep.

Art is definitely gorgeous though. Gotta love me some small heads. And like everyone else is saying, the VAs are pretty sweet. Overall, some good, some bad, still expecting it to get better.

This show seems really popular around these parts but I dont get it. I tried watching season 1 but gave up around ep 14 or somthing. That said, I probably would have loved this show if it had aired along side DBZ on toonami back in the day. Not really saying that in a bad way considering how I watch tons of braindead romcoms and have a good time. I guess this just aint my cup of tea.

Yeah, this show is pretty much a throwback to the old anime of the 80s and early 90s. It's a big macho cheese fest that's perfectly aware of what it is and never tries to be anything more. I can definitely see that not being someone's cup of tea, especially if rom-coms are you thing.

For me though, I do love the hell out of it, because it's different from so much of what you see coming out these days. The anime is made with so much love for the source material, the voice actors are all chewing the scenery to various degrees and all of that makes it a lot of fun for me to watch.

It's not the best anime, ever or anything, but it's another one of those sugar rush titles that has so much energy, humor and charisma that most of its other flaws can be forgiven for most people.

I would go further than just saying it's a throwback - it's a straight adaptation of an '80s manga. It does seem to be an acquired taste though. Having always complained that Fist of the North Star was taking itself too seriously, I think JoJo appeals to me as it seems like what you would get if Kenshiro and co had been just that bit more self-aware.

Episode 1

Far better than the first episode on season 1
I just need to hear Daisuke Ono as Jotaro for the rest of my life. Fucking hell if my ears had penises, my cheeks would be drenched and sticky.

Abdul is so awesome, just walking away from that metal rod, sits down "I've got your grandson out of his cell". I like Magician Red too, the big ol' fire chicken, so much more awesome than that other one Blaziken.

And there he is, Star Platinum. Oh how I can't wait to see you be the Stand you were always meant to be.

And fuck you Dio, my loins aren't ready.

Nobody does yare yare daze better than Kosugi Jurota. I remember in the old fighting game, they had another voice actor for Dio who was just perfect. I wish they got him instead. And I can understand not getting Hirotaka Suzuoki back as Kakkyoin since he has now unfortunately passed on.

The VA's from the OVA were very good and possibly the best thing about it, but Ono as Jotaro is one of the best things I've ever heard, and there's no way that changing Dio's voice from the first season would be a good idea considering he's exactly the same age.

Episode 1

Ah man, I'm loving old man Joestar, he's great. My body is definitely ready for this season to get into full swing, especially with Dio back. I'm a bit confused about how he got into the coffin, but fucking semantics, Dio is back and that's all that really matters, if the show wants it can bring back Speedwagon in a mysterious coffin, I won't even call bullshit.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but
I don't think Speedwagon is back in Jojo until Steel Ball Run as Mountain Tim. Plus, why bring him back when it should be faithful to the manga in which this story was published over 20 years ago?

Para I get the same way on VA's for Lupin (the last of the old voices will have been replaced after the new movie) Oh well, time marches on.

Ep1
Covered well enough. I guess I will add, I dug the music in the prison throwdown. It had this cool beaty Middle Eastern vibe.

Episode 2

Wow, those Dio poses, so good. In any case from the OP it looks like this new guy will be joining the dream team, as well as some other guy with a robot stand. I love that Joutaro has a giant horde of groupies at school, and the fight was pretty badass as well. And that message at the bottom of the screen was perfect "This story is fiction. The Characters, groups, places, laws, and names used in this program have no connection to any existing in real life."

Just started the new episode but I had to come say the new OP is rad as hell. It fits the tone perfects and stands up pretty well with the first OP and Blood Stream.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that it's hilarious that every episode has to start with the warning that this is based on fictional characters. We should be so lucky if real life was anywhere near this fabulous.

Episode 2:

This is definitely Jojo even a waif artist dude is built like a brick shithouse. This episode was pretty damn awesome once again. There is so much fun cheese flowing through every moment of this episode. I laughed so hard at super subtle note the dude left in Jojo's pocket. I will kill you WITH MY STAND!!! And then signed his name as if there was any question who it was from. It was hilarious because it made me think it was something a little kid would write.

Dio didn't do anything but pose and monologue like a sexy mother fucker this episode and I was just fine with that. Doesn't do much plotwise, but we'll get more on that next episode when we find out about the thing in Hierophant Green dude's head.

The mother is extremely adorable in a way where she's great in small doses but would be annoying as hell if she had any more screen time, so I like the limited doses of her interactions with Jotaro. It's also nice to show that he does care about her despite all the name calling. This episode actually does strive to characterize Jotaro a bit more even if it's just as a punk with a heart of gold. I'll take it because it's fun to see him walking around the school like he owns the place.

Joseph had a pretty funny comedy bit this episode with the coffee, but like Dio he doesn't contribute much to what is going on. The new ending theme is good, but let's face it, nothing was going to be as good as Roundabout.

PS All you girls are too ugly for Jotaro, back the fuck off.

PPS, I don't think I could have taken it if Jojo had taken his pants off.

Great episode!

Episode 2.
Get fucked, you pussy, nurse possessing pansy bitch! Jojo beat his ass like a red-headed stepchild. And it was AWESOME.

Episode 2:

Another fuckballs awesome episode, and this is pretty much the most perfect adaptation possible; it stands heads and shoulders above the OVA. This is far more vibrant and feels more true to the original than the overly stoic and dry OVA adaptation, and even if this probably won't cover the entire manga either, it will still contain loads of awesomeness.

The animation, colour palette changes and musics during the fight just enhanced the experience and made it even more awesome, and they really brought the characters to life by including the skits with Holly and cranky old man Joseph.

Basically, the only thing I did not like was the cheesecake crap with the teacher while she was lying wounded on the floor, but that was in the manga as well, so Araki shares the blame for that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Kakyoin's VA was the fedorapist in Diabolik Lovers and the boring lawyer guy in Brothers Conflict. No wonder I thought he sounded off for some reason...

Episode 2:

Basically, the only thing I did not like was the cheesecake crap with the teacher while she was lying wounded on the floor, but that was in the manga as well, so Araki shares the blame for that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Kakyoin's VA was the fedorapist in Diabolik Lovers and the boring lawyer guy in Brothers Conflict. No wonder I thought he sounded off for some reason...

Yeah,
there was no reason to tear her shirt open while she was foaming at the mouth like that. I really don't want to think that's what Araki thinks is titillating. As for Kakuoin, he was supposed to be a pretty weak first opponent for Jotaro so I guess they just grabbed whoever to do the voicework, even if it doesn't fit so well with the more manly voices of the series.

I do like how they are doing such a close adaptation so far. I read the third part of the manga right after the first season ended, and there are so many parts I want to see. Especially parts that were left out or not done well in the OVAs.

Back