Japanese discussion?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sothis, Feb 2, 2018.

1. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Posted by sothis on Feb 2, 2018
    As much as I'd like to, I rarely have time to watch anime much anymore (hence me not posting much in a non-moderator capacity in the forum for some time now). But, I spend quite a lot of time studying Japanese, whether it's revisiting grammar, kanji practice, NHK easy news articles, etc.

Curious if there's any other language studiers in the forum? Debating either making a section (if ther'es enough interest) or at least a discussion thread if anyone would actually participate :)

2. zala

zala Well-Known Member

Posted by zala on Feb 2, 2018
    I'm interested in learning more about Japanese.
    I'm not planning on learning how to speak it, but the concepts of Japanese are so fascinating, especially since Japanese has so many similar words.
    Plus, it sounds beautiful to me.

heavymetal3412 likes this.
  3. ShinShini

ShinShini Well-Known Member

I'm learning Japanese, but I'd probably not participate in discussions about it. I'd read it and lurk in there, though.

zala likes this.
  4. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Posted by sothis on Feb 2, 2018
    well, i most definitely am not enough of an expert to talk about it solo XD but i sometimes find interesting resources, etc

zala likes this.
  5. CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow Database Moderator

I've been learning Japanese on and off for a few years, so I'd love to see a section or thread about the language. Or even just a general Language Learners section or something.

It would be cool to have a place here where we can share language resources and our stories and that with each other. :drink:

6. heavymetal3412

heavymetal3412 Well-Known Member

for what its worth since i started watching alot more anime lately with english subs ive picked up on what some japanese words mean. so thats cool i guess... id like to learn a bit of japanese, going to japan would be like the ultimate electronic playground vacation for a gamer nerd who likes arcades in my opinion., something i dream of hopefully doing someday.

zala likes this.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  7. zala

zala Well-Known Member

Posted by zala on Feb 4, 2018
    My bff has been telling how to NOT pronounce some phrases, still mispronounces to troll sometimes.
    Kudosai or oneigashimasu?

Shikiya likes this.
  8. heavymetal3412

i dont understand a lick of japanese besides co-min-o-sigh which means im sorry.
    just caught that from watching anime.
    id sell my soul for a corn chip to know what this song says

zala likes this.
  9. heavymetal3412

i heard "ichiban" means the greatest too, but im not sure if thats true or not.....i havent tried to translate or look that up.

(edit ; it means best)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  10. heavymetal3412

11. heavymetal3412

sorry just want to get this thread going. id be interested in watching some anime that actually has japanese written as well as spoken with dual subtitles if such a thing exists? it would be neat. then i could pick up on what words sound as and are written as in fluent Japanese.

12. CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow Database Moderator

Close! It's pronounced as gomen nasai (ごめんなさい), that "o" sound is more a soft "na" sound.

There's a site called Animelon that aims to teach Japanese through anime subtitles. It's dual subtitled (well, triple - Japanese, romaji and English) and can create flashcards and writing activities based on the words you choose. Haven't used it myself, but I've heard good things about it. :drink:

heavymetal3412 likes this.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  13. Singan

Singan Member

One of the things that amazes me about Japanese is how "I" may be said in many different ways (watashi, ore, boku, watakushi, atashi etc.), and all those are different "I" (for example, watashi is universal and polite, watakushi is very formal, boku and ore are used by men and convey very different ideas about the speaker, and atashi is informal and used by women).

I don't really speak Japanese, but when you watch anime with subtitles or look for information on Japanese sites, you inevitably learn something about the language (although very-very little, of course).

14. zala

zala Well-Known Member

Posted by zala on Mar 9, 2018
    I learned from a lackluster anime that Japanese is made up of sound characters, and I can understand the difficulties of learning and speaking Japanese better now.
    I've seen the name Akira spelled in so many different ways that I'm surprised that anyone can read Japanese at all.
    English has a similar problem, with so many ways to spell names, but Japanese has English beat by a long shot.

15. Shikiya

Shikiya Well-Known Member

Ummmm I'm Japanese. I speak Japanese...
    どうも式也とお申します。この2-3年間このサイトにお世話になっております。
    Something like that?
    [​IMG]
    It means, rather, number one. It is sometimes used in place of 最高Saiko, which means the best/greatest.

Learning Japanese from watching animes has problems though.
    For one, they speak super slow compared to how people usually speak in daily life.
    Also, watakushi, as well as kissama, etc. are not used by people in conversations as pronouns, unless they are chuunibyou or something. Teme is used rarely, for joke more than when you are angry.
    But learning from anime is a good entry point to Japanese, I think. I learned English from reading books after I came to America, because people in Japan dont speak English jacksht.

Grammatically, Japanese is almost polar opposite of English, and also uses all the Kanji, which makes learning the language a huge challenge for most English-speakers I think.

16. ShinShini

Absolutely this. I speak multiple languages, but none have that weird particle system. I still have a hard time getting used to do basically the opposite of English grammar.

Shikiya likes this.
  17. Shikiya

Well, the only other language that uses particles like ha and ga is Korean. They are pretty damn similar languages, about 85% grammatic resemblance.

For me, when I started learning English, putting the sentence structure aside, I could not understand why and where to put the and a and all that. i still get points off from essays for leaving the out in certain spots ;(

I like to study linguistics. This is a weird confession, but I made a language, somewhat like Tolkien...
    What languages do you speak???

ShinShini likes this.
  18. ShinShini

I learned how to pronounce and read the signs in Korean, but never got around to fully tackle it. Japanese was more important and I struggled with that enough. Maybe I should give it another go sometimes if it's actually so similar.

Yeah, sometimes one can forget that it's the same the other way around. Is that why Japanese people are struggling so damn hard with learning English in general? In my experience it got a lot better, but not as much as you would expect from such an americanized country.

Like a complete language? I wouldn't even know where to start in creating a new language.
    I speak English of course, German, Dutch (because it's quite similar to German and English), French, Spanish (because it's quite similar to French), Polish (just enough to somewhat communicate with people there) and in the progress of learning Japanese. Enough to watch children's anime without subtitles, but not enough to fluently converse. I sound a bit like the racist American stereotype found in 90's anime.)

zala and Shikiya like this.
  19. Shikiya

がんばって!

Lol yeah. I'm glad I learned English when I was relatively young, but it was still pretty hard.

It is based off Latin roots. E.g. ie gout vissere l'strat deur hesperier. Yeah i dont really know why i did tht.
    Damn you speak 6-7 languages?! すごい

ShinShini likes this.
  20. ShinShini

Thanks, I'll continue to give my best.

It looks interesting. And testing if one is able to is a sufficient reason to do it, I guess. It would be a good reason for me anyways. Can you give a translation for that sentence?
    It's more like 5 3/4 languages, I'm not really confident in my Polish and Japanese yet. And I lived for some time in that corner of Europe where France, Germany, Belgian and the Netherlands were in easy travel distance. Having the possibility to practice it with real people helped a lot. It's just happy circumstances, nothing so sugoi.

Shikiya likes this.