Introducing the new Anime-Planet brand, and updated design

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by sothis, Dec 29, 2018.

1. AnimeBlackStar

AnimeBlackStar New Member

Great work!

Now it's time for a dedicated APP

2. asmageddon

asmageddon New Member

I'm glad that anime-planet is finally adopting the "if it works, break it" policy of horrible UX redesigns.

Here's a suggestion, what about removing the actually usable list view of anime in favor of the crippled laggy grid view?

3. ShinShini

ShinShini Well-Known Member

I'm glad random people on the internet are still afraid of change.

4. feinraf

feinraf Well-Known Member

If you're having issues with grid-view you can raise this in the bug requests forum, please include details of what browser you are using, steps to reproduce the issue and any screenshots.

You can still access the list view too if you wish to, there is an option box to switch between the two.

5. MajOrangeJuice

MajOrangeJuice New Member

Love the new work, keep up the great work Anime-Planet team :D

Nicknames likes this.
  6. asmageddon

asmageddon New Member

Change is amazing when it improves things. When it happens for its own sake, it means nothing, and that seems to be the overall trend on the web. Google products keep changing to worse and worse interfaces, things constantly break, and no one cares.

On anime-planet, all I've noticed so far is that I get a horizontal scrollbar on most pages(I have 1200px screen screen space due to a horizontal tab bar), and that the convenient-to-sort-and-use list view of anime has to be manually switched to, after you wait for the far slower to load grid view to work, so I have to take more clicks and more time to actually use the site, and there's more whitespace all around which means more scrolling too.

If you'd like to do actual improvements, let us add personal notes about the shows we watch, and to create custom lists/categories, so we can tag anime, let us add priority for wishlisted anime, or make the interface cleaner and easier to navigate.
    Making things pretty, especially at the cost of functionality, serves nothing except to perpetuate bad design standards.

P.S. I might be in a shitty mood right now, I really hope I was not too mean, I am sorry.

7. Grizz

Grizz Database Moderator

Posted by Grizz on Jan 8, 2019
    That Horizontal scrollbar is definitely an unintentional bug, report it in https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/forums/feature-requests-bug-reports-site-questions.43/
    With the following:
    • what browser you are using
    • What pages it happens on
    • Anything else you believe to be helpful

Im not able to replicate your issue related to
    Mine keeps which type i leave it on and stays that type until i change it again. E.g. I select list view from grid and it stays list view until i change it back to grid. You may want to mention it in the report and see what the devs say.

As far as i am aware there was NO white space added at all intentionally, this should also be reported with what pages, browser,etc
    Although if you are using an Ad Block that may be the cause and its suggested you disable it as not only does the site have very few ads scattered around it but it is the only thing keeping it running. Some Ad blocks tend to break websites design in order to block ads so you can hardly blame the site if you are using one that results in this. (I dont know if you are using one or not this is purely my speculation based on the issue your describing and personal experience on other websites)

From the sound of your problems i suspect you may be using an unsupported browser, though until you say what your browser is, we wont know. A dev will let you know in response to your bug report if that is the case.

You are able to do this using the customs list feature that has been on the site for ages.
    https://www.anime-planet.com/users/asmageddon/lists
    -> Make a custom list
    -> Add the items you want to write notes about to it
    -> Write the notes using the option "Edit reason"
    Here is an example of one of my lists https://www.anime-planet.com/users/Grizz/lists/my-anime-collection-49986

Whilst i dont quite get what you mean by tag anime, you can order items in custom lists and use that for setting priorities if you so wished to.

If you read the OP in its entirety you would know, the current change is nothing but a reskin to ease users into the upcoming larger changes which will be the beginning of the full redesign. There hasn't been any loss of functionality due to any changes made so far.

ShinShini likes this.
  8. feinraf

feinraf Well-Known Member

This has been reported to the Dev team so they are aware of it.

9. R1V3R

R1V3R New Member

Posted by R1V3R on Jan 8, 2019
    I like it

10. R1V3R

R1V3R New Member

Posted by R1V3R on Jan 8, 2019
    an app would be nice, gotta get off of flash.

Sinamuna likes this.
  11. SeiyaManG

SeiyaManG Well-Known Member

Hello, as an exclusive dark theme user I am happy you mentioned that as a future update.

I can only applaud growing a_p as a brand and think you made excellent choices in the logos. It's a labor of love that we have watched grow slowly, surely and in the right direction. No one should deride good business sense so I wish you nothing but continued and greater success.

The logical next step of a good and recognizable brand is merch, so I look forward to that.

TurkeyGami and Nicknames like this.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  12. Sinamuna

Sinamuna New Member

Oohhhh, I'm normally against website changes but this is actually SUPER awesome! I love the darumaka cat logo thingy, and the colors work well! I hope you guys keep at it! <3

Nicknames likes this.
  13. Nymphonomicon

Nymphonomicon New Member

I can't say that font is what I would have picked for ya, but if that's your brand, that's your brand.

AnimeObsessed and Fluffs like this.
  14. logan235711

logan235711 New Member

Been on this journey with you all for over a decade. (The new changes will hit the right demographics.) Here's to another 10 years. :drinking:

Nicknames likes this.
  15. AnimePixelz

AnimePixelz New Member

Looks great! Can't wait for the next update!

Nicknames likes this.
  16. Sailant

Sailant New Member

I love the change and the site itself, a few years ago I avoided the site because of the "old" look (I'm silly) but from now on I will stay here!

feinraf and Nicknames like this.
  17. ErzaInuHyuga

ErzaInuHyuga New Member

Awww! The kitty planet
    Is actuallu

Fluffs likes this.
  18. 3ma

3ma New Member

Posted by 3ma on Jan 11, 2019
    someone wants to tell me how can i read manga in this site

19. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator