Introducing: dark mode

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by sothis, Mar 2, 2020.

1. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Posted by sothis on Mar 2, 2020
    Today, we've launched your #1 requested feature on Anime-Planet: native dark mode.

[​IMG]

Dark mode is a feature available to all registered users - registration is free and easy, and enables you to track anime you've watched and manga, webtoons, OELs, and more that you've read; get personalized recommendations; create top lists of your favorites; and much more.

To toggle dark mode, log in, then choose the option in your profile navigation:

[​IMG]

Dark mode has been carefully constructed to have visual parity with light mode. Moving forward, we'll continue to support both themes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Known issues

Launching dark mode was a major undertaking that involved updating all aspects of the site, including the existing light mode theme, and underwent several weeks of testing by moderators. If you find something that you think needs to be changed for dark or light mode, please file a bug in the bug forum (not in this thread). There's a few known issues, such as the "preview" panel when posting a new comment or your bio, and the hover state when adding something to a new custom list. We're working on these post-launch.

The forum has also undergone a major change. The old skin was set up in a way that wouldn't allow for multiple themes, so we had to cobble together a new light mode theme, at the same time as dark mode. We have a few outstanding items to still fix, such as too-dark gray links in some places in dark mode. For now, bear with us, as in the future we plan to upgrade forum versions entirely, and will re-address the skins from the ground up. It's unlikely that we'll spend the time it would require to completely restore what the old light theme looked like, as that time is better spent working on the forum upgrade and the full redesign. We are working on updating some known bugs or problems with the forum skins, however.

Like dark mode? Support Anime-Planet!

Anime-Planet is fan-created and not owned by a big corporation - we're run by a small team of volunteers who love the site and community. If you like dark mode and the features here, please help us keep the servers running by adding an Ad Block exception for Anime-Planet (we have very few ads, and they are our main way we keep the site running), or see the Support page for other ways you can help.

Thanks, as always, for your ongoing support of Anime-Planet!

2. CEOofoof

CEOofoof New Member

amen. thank you

3. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

Posted by Zed on Mar 2, 2020
    A-P has finally succumbed into the darkness.

bleh123456, Oliander, Kaii2 and 33 others like this.
  4. Grizz

Grizz Database Moderator

Posted by Grizz on Mar 2, 2020
    Hello darkness my old friend...

Veenguk, gdrogo, Fannyca and 39 others like this.
  5. hell0emi

hell0emi Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    My sensitive lil eyes love it

Skylarrrr, Kaii2, penny247 and 18 others like this.
  6. Nitroglycerin

Nitroglycerin Well-Known Member

My eyes thank you

Oliander, Azmi, udonaho and 10 others like this.
  7. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Posted by sothis on Mar 2, 2020
    Just to re-iterate, we know there's a lot of forum changes that would make things better. We're working on some updates over the next few days. Please bear with us!

TheBatter, Kobi, Azmi and 15 others like this.
  8. Feinraf

Feinraf Developer

Posted by Feinraf on Mar 2, 2020
    All your light are belong to us...

9. interregnum

interregnum Well-Known Member

I already love it. Thanks!

10. Etue

Etue Well-Known Member

Posted by Etue on Mar 2, 2020
    I welcome the darkness.

In all seriousness, thanks for this. Much appreciated.

11. Scalpelexis

Scalpelexis Database Moderator

Welcome to the dark side!

12. RascaI

RascaI Well-Known Member

Posted by RascaI on Mar 2, 2020
    Just brilliant.

13. OkamiHime95

OkamiHime95 Well-Known Member

This is awesome! I was wondering what was going on.

14. Claptrap

Claptrap Database Moderator

Glad this is an option now. Lot of hard work went into it, so thanks to all involved

15. OmegaYami

OmegaYami Active Member

finally! thank you!

16. KarinXOXO

KarinXOXO Database Moderator

How titillating! Lovin' it! <3

17. GTOwlnizuka

GTOwlnizuka Well-Known Member

This is lovely. I tried to post a picture of Darkness from Konosuba smiling to show how pleased I am with this, but the internet is a bad place and I'm in public, so just pretend I google searched and posted a dynamite photo of Darkness being pleased (you're losing them, Owl, get it together!)

(Edit for clarity: Shit lit, fam.)

18. Halex

Halex Member

Posted by Halex on Mar 2, 2020
    Awesome!!! This surely makes it easy on the eyes, especially when using the site at night :)

19. Mpegforever

Mpegforever New Member

Nice ! Went dark immediately. I like it. Thanks

20. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Mar 2, 2020
    [​IMG]