Introducing Anime-Planet's Community Code of Conduct

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by sothis, Mar 6, 2019.

1. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Posted by sothis on Mar 6, 2019
    Anime-Planet’s community is made up of millions of users who have a wide range of ages, political beliefs, sexual orientations and gender identities. Our commitment is to provide a harassment-free experience for all community members.

In the interest of fostering a welcoming, inclusive environment, and to promote constructive dialogue and expression, we've documented a new Code of Conduct that applies to everyone on Anime-Planet: from users to staff alike. Many of these guidelines overlap with the Terms of Use, but we felt it's important to describe what kind of community we're trying to promote, as well as specific examples of what isn't allowed.

Read the Code of Conduct

If you have questions about the new Code of Conduct, you can ask those questions here.

2. TurkeyGami

TurkeyGami Well-Known Member

I have a question.

This is missing some specificity. There is a lot of debate among many people in the world right now what counts as "Hate Speech", which seems to be what this refers to. Do you mean just slurs, or is no one allowed to denounce any other group in any way (e.g. saying "Christians are stupid" would be punishable)? What types of words or phrases are prohibited?

If our language is being policed like this, we should be entitled to know EXACTLY what we can and cannot say.

3. AnnaSartin

AnnaSartin Database Moderator

"Christians are stupid" is not acceptable, yes. If something sounds rude, hateful, or unwelcoming, safe to assume it violates the site's code of conduct.

4. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Posted by sothis on Mar 6, 2019
    As Anna stated, that would be a violation of several line items. But especially this one:

Re: generalizing a group of people. Also mentioned in the "community standards" section:

As to the general question, it's impossible to create a set of guidelines that encompasses every possible variation. The guidelines are meant to be broad, but also give a good idea of what sort of speech is not allowed. Most of this is common sense. Also, what Anna said.

kess, ShinShini, femcore and 5 others like this.
  5. TurkeyGami

TurkeyGami Well-Known Member

Okay, good enough then, thanks.

Nicknames and Fluffs like this.
  6. Funkgun

Funkgun Forum Moderator

Posted by Funkgun on Mar 6, 2019
    Man, if this ever was the truth.
    I mean you could, but it would be like a whole 20 pages, a 5 set of VHS tapes on a warbly player, and a 7 day web seminar.

Anyhow, hopefully our regulars can help guide or lead the way here. I have

CaptainSlow and Nicknames like this.
  7. femcore

femcore Well-Known Member

Posted by femcore on Mar 7, 2019
    I've never seen a community guild line outright call out sea lioning like this. I'm actually very impressed with that call.

Funkgun, AnnaSartin and Nicknames like this.