In/Spectre

Final thoughts

Mamma mia, this is a love-hate relationship for me. The concept is great, I love Kotoko and Saki, it had great mood peaks, witty dialogs and generaly I loved the world and the whole case it covered. Yet I can't forgive it that insensitive drag. Taking example of Kurou and Kotoko, even I could see many lines how to make this show more entertaining and that makes me a bit sad it didn't grab that "future".

The most positive about this season could though be its future. I think the potential this has is huge and since we succesfully introduced the main characters and built good foundations of the world they live in, the next arc could be so much more entertaining. There is still a lot of space to create: Kurou's character, his relationship with Kotoko, more demonic cases, Rikka's deadly plots. I am sure the manga covers that and I might get into it cause I am hella curious!

All in all, the show was pretty good. It had a very solid form and I really loved the ED. I am going to give it 3.5/5, though it is sadly closer to 3 than 4. But the ceiling is very high and I hope we will see more.

It's definitely not a show for the impatient. It's mainly one big arc, one mostly explored through dialogue/monologues. I personally find it very interesting, especially combined with the symbolism onscreen and pretty characters and all... but I could see how it's not for everyone. It may seem repetitive/stuck in one place to some.
I agree, if you liked Lelouch and Code Geass you will like this show cause its basicaly the same character concept in the Steel lady arc. Young super genius with magic like powers who outwits her enemies by predicting and manipulating the future to be what you want it to be.

I started watching this series cause it presented itself as a supernatural detective spin on shows like Mushishi and Natsume Youjin, etc. Thats not what i got, but switching my expectations to its own merits its not a bad show. I think the director just drug out the arc a bit too much or didnt invest enough into it.....im not sure.

got a little pretentious with that god talk.

Other than that, decent ending.
I respect a show that would rather just tell its own story to anyone willing to listen than contort itself to fit the audience's low attention span. We need more of that these days.

And saki is still best grill.

8/10

I agree, if you liked Lelouch and Code Geass you will like this show cause its basicaly the same character concept in the Steel lady arc. Young super genius with magic like powers who outwits her enemies by predicting and manipulating the future to be what you want it to be.

I started watching this series cause it presented itself as a supernatural detective spin on shows like Mushishi and Natsume Youjin, etc. Thats not what i got, but switching my expectations to its own merits its not a bad show. I think the director just drug out the arc a bit too much or didnt invest enough into it.....im not sure.

A lot of people like Code Geass for the bang zoom kablooie action, cuhrazy plot twists, ass-in-your-face fanservice and memes. A series where the whole multiple episode climax is mainly a small girl derailing an online community with made up nonsense is a bit of a hard sell in comparison

So, I wound up enjoying it, but my initial love for the series slowly waned steadily as the show progressed. The biggest pro is that all three of the girls in this anime were delightful, I really enjoyed their personalities, and the constant witty banter, even if it all came at the expense of making Kurou a bit of a bland foil for the gals, he still had some personality.

I think the biggest con has been mentioned to death already, but pacing. I can't believe they made a 10 episode arc about arguing online. It's not that it wasn't interesting, or handled well, but man, it's a weird precedent to solve one mystery in episode 2 (a little bit of one as well) and then 10 episodes for the second mystery. That's really unbalanced writing, I thought we were in for a fun monster of the week type mystery show, or at least a couple of mini-arcs to open up the world a bit more.

Regardless, I enjoyed the dialogue a lot, and the show handled itself well while doing things in an unorthodox manner, and if it doesn't have my undying love, it has my respect and guaranteed season two watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
i wouldnt have normally watched this from reading the blurb.
tbh i only watched the first ep on a whim and while its not my normal type of show, for some strange reason i am really enjoying it.

no idea why tho

but its a great and fun show and well worth a watch
it has that magical something that makes it hard to stop watching

Honestly, this anime almost made me want to buy a nightlight and some holy water. It wasn't particularly scary, but it was put together in such a way that it had me pausing the episodes multiple times so I could calm down (lol). I just love Kotoko's character, especially her intelligence and comprehension/ deduction abilities and the way she makes that a lot of what defines her.
This anime reminds me of Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai, Noragami (I don't know why, though), and Boogiepop wa Warawanai.

Honestly, this anime almost made me want to buy a nightlight and some holy water. It wasn't particularly scary, but it was put together in such a way that it had me pausing the episodes multiple times so I could calm down (lol). I just love Kotoko's character, especially her intelligence and comprehension/ deduction abilities and the way she makes that a lot of what defines her.
This anime reminds me of Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai, Noragami (I don't know why, though), and Boogiepop wa Warawanai.

The recomendations make sense, since it is an anime of supernatural genre. In a review I did for a Czech site I also mentioned similarities with Bunny Senpai or Bakemonogatari. Ot also reminded me Gosick in the way of the relationship of main characters, solving mysteries and basically Kotoko being similar to Victorique.

So, I wound up enjoying it, but my initial love for the series slowly waned steadily as the show progressed. The biggest pro is that all three of the girls in this anime were delightful, I really enjoyed their personalities, and the constant witty banter, even if it all came at the expense of making Kurou a bit of a bland foil for the gals, he still had some personality.

I think the biggest con has been mentioned to death already, but pacing. I can't believe they made a 10 episode arc about arguing online. It's not that it wasn't interesting, or handled well, but man, it's a weird precedent to solve one mystery in episode 2 (a little bit of one as well) and then 10 episodes for the second mystery. That's really unbalanced writing, I thought we were in for a fun monster of the week type mystery show, or at least a couple of mini-arcs to open up the world a bit more.

Regardless, I enjoyed the dialogue a lot, and the show handled itself well while doing things in an unorthodox manner, and if it doesn't have my undying love, it has my respect and guaranteed season two watch.

Well I for one hate monster of the week stuff, I can't remember but also having those vibes might be why I initially stalled this in the 1st place. I like well thought out stuff that takes time to unfold, especially in a mystery show I find I enjoy shows with that formula far more than monster of the week mystery shows...............

To each his own.........

In any case, I'm on a roll of clearing out my stalled and "watching" lists, wrapped this up, it was a solid 3.5/5 for me. Just one thing bugs me in the end....

The whole idea that everyone arguing online decided creating a ghost made sense for trying to convince people you were actually dead......if anything, I'd say if you create something the people can actually see, regardless of what you call it, people who aren't dumb asses would sooner start thinking you were maybe alive and not dead. having a dead body in place was good enough.........but maybe it makes sense when the target audience for this farce is a bunch of horror enthusiat who deep down want to believe that ghost are real....................

Anyways, would be interested in the 2nd season, hopefully, I don't end up stalling that one as well.

Here i am, watching this show cuz of the 2nd season. Halfway through it and actually enjoying but....

i still cant believe her name is kotoko... i mean kotoko is a portuguese slang (slightly ofensive) for people who doenst have a limb....
What are the chances of this being a coincidence?

Back