I'm here for the gay (the LGBT+ anime discussion thread)

Discussion in 'General Anime Discussion' started by Starletka, Jan 25, 2018.

?

BL or GL?

1. BL

32.0%
  2. GL

18.7%
  3. both

45.3%
  4. neither

4.0%
  1. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Nov 9, 2021
    I see a lot of people rage on the internet and rag over Ienaga from Golden Kamuy being a problematic predatory transgender stereotype and while I can see that point of view, idk, I still find her entertaining as fuck lol

It kind of makes sense at least within the context of the series where basically everyone is a degenerate weirdo in the first place.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  2. Starletka

Starletka Silver Supporter

Is anyone in the manga normal? Anyone? I personally love Ienaga. She's awesome.

3. Claptrap

Claptrap Database Moderator

Honestly, Ienaga is fine to me because everyone in GK is so batshit to begin with. I like her.

4. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

Lean into it harder, Arcane!

Though I expect that like with anything else they will hold themselves back because Chinabucks.

Gens, ZetsubouKaiji and LamiaNymph like this.
  5. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

You say that, but Riot has been making headway about that lately. You got Neeko who is an openly gay character, Rell is canon bisexual, Nami is in a canon thrupple with a guy fish and girl fish, they finally made Leona and Diana canon, Irelia and the Blossoming Blade from Legends Of Runterra are definitely into the other, etc.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  6. Claptrap

hm
    not at all knocking it, because I'm happy to see more lgbt characters in general
    but you really do notice that video games and cartoons do more with female lgbt characters because they can get away with it w their homophobic male base imo

with cartoons, I think it's less the audience than it is the higher-ups

7. randomredneck

Well, you're not wrong. Riot does put their gay eggs in one basket like that. Off the top of my head, the only canon gay guy in the franchise I can think of is the Legion Veteran from Legends Of Runeterra.

howtoprocrastinate and Claptrap like this.
  8. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Nov 16, 2021
    Yeah my heart really goes out to the gay dudes in children’s media, a lot of the time people think gay men are complete rapists and it's not safe for them to be around kids at all. So that also feels like part of the reason they restrain them from showing them in children's media and lesbians just are silly and harmless to them. It's a really uncomfortable thing for me to reflect upon this utter BS time and time again. Children are generally very accepting. That's the thing, parents almost exclusively seem to throw the PEDOPHILE insult if it's boys, every time. I see single dads get harassed for taking their kids out to the park. If it's a woman with kids, oh that's normal and fine, if it's a man with kids suddenly that's suspicious.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  9. randomredneck

Yup, that's my step-dad all over. I remember when the Boy Scouts finally okayed letting gay people in there. "I don't want my grandson in the woods with no pedophiles" and so on. The fact some people still think that way is quite agitating. Also the reason he was left out of my little coming out as bi adventure. Pretty sure he wouldn't let me and said grandson pal around no more when he visits if he knew.

10. Claptrap

I do not think I have a bigger pet peeve than when I watch a BL/GL etc and someone in the reviews is like... "this isn't just a typical LESBIAN/GAY story.... this is ABOUT FRIENDSHIP and LOVE and not just SEX and therefore it isnt GAY..." people are so fucking stupid. when m/f romance is sexless people understand that yes. romance stories can just be about FEELINGS, but when bl or gl doesn't have sex people are like WOW universal friendship story this ain't gay. rather than examining the fact they think gay relationships are defined purely by sex, which is their own problem

11. randomredneck

People like that are annoying. Hell's Bells, it took 9 years (Of which I was there for 7 of) for the two main characters from Go Get A Roomie to do the horizontal monster mash. But I sure never devalued it as just them being friends because it took that long to happen.

12. daisicles

daisicles Well-Known Member

There's always some way of undermining stories. If the story did have sex, then it'd be just another one of those horny stories that only creepy people read. There's no actual way to win, it's just losing all the way down, all because a lot of people can't actually handle sex being in a story as just one of many facets of how human beings interact and doubly so if those human beings aren't straight.

13. cesmine

cesmine New Member

I absolutely agree! But ... When it comes to sex in bl/gl anime, I feel like it really depends on how it's portrayed. In majority of cases, it just doesn't belong to the characters. It rather belongs to the audience and that makes it cheap. I don't know if I put this idea in an intelligible way, but it's an issue I have with most of the anime sex in general. It is rarely displayed as a form of perfectly normal human interaction, and instead it's just there to please the fans. Anyway, I feel like we are maybe just too open-minded for the main-stream production. :D

14. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Nov 18, 2021
    The way sex scenes are written in books always makes me laugh out loud so hard when they get too over the top with the adjectives. Like “his hot burning pillar of love towered over me”, tell me that isn’t comedy gold.

Also it’s really ironic when they talk about the gays being sexual deviants when the male gaze is prevalent and normalized in media with straight guys being such horny ass perverts. They’re fapping 24/7 get real here.

15. cesmine

cesmine New Member

Hahaha. Ikr! :troll: Would't realistically described intimate scenes be the real art though!

Well, you know. Being horny and sexualy active is only normal for heterosexual alfa-males!

16. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Well-Known Member

I don't know what you're talking about. This is exactly how sex works.

[​IMG]
    I mean exorcisms and sex are basically the same thing. Right?

[​IMG]
    It is very important to find new ways to make your lady weep.

[​IMG]
    Don't pretend like you've ever truly pleased a woman if her breasts didn't stand up and walk out of the room.

[​IMG]
    Anal area.

[​IMG]
    Brrrrap.

Okay, that last one was parody, but this thread this hilarious.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021