I'm here for the gay (the LGBT+ anime discussion thread)

Discussion in 'General Anime Discussion' started by Starletka, Jan 25, 2018.

?

BL or GL?

1. BL

32.0%
  2. GL

18.7%
  3. both

45.3%
  4. neither

4.0%
  1. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Oct 10, 2021
    Eizouken made me aware about the whole exaggerated girl walk cycle thing honestly, I never took deep notice of that before lol

I feel like pure comedy/gag anime have a much better representation of women too, not actually afraid to have them be crass and rude instead of some pure angel and less stereotypical girly overall.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  2. Claptrap

Claptrap Database Moderator

The girl walk cycle bothers me so much lol. And tbh if you've ever taken any basic drawing courses there's always high emphasis on differentiating the sexes by how they walk and stand, often putting women in poses no real people would be in. It's so engrained people have to actively work against it.

3. daisicles

daisicles Well-Known Member

Yen Press just announced a license for a manga about an ace woman who agrees to an arranged marriage with a gay man to make her parents happy and I am dead curious. I can't imagine it'll be about those two falling in love, but how will it go?

4. BrainBlow

BrainBlow Well-Known Member

On top of that, Eizouken wss really good at highlighting how personality attracts.
    Kanamori unquestionably is the most popular and, judging by comments, most pined for character.

On another note not anime, two players in tomorrow's D&D oneshot I run are gonna play freshly reuinited childhood friends that are pining and I damn well have to make sure to facilitate this oh gods the pressure this is the first time i've gotten this at my table

gravityleap, Nicknames, Taek and 4 others like this.
  5. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Oct 23, 2021
    It does feel pretty good to see a person in a producer type role in a positive light who actually cares about other people, a capitalist I can actually get behind. I also think that this is probably the best VA role Mutsumi Tamura's ever done honestly in her entire career.

Nicknames, Taek, Starletka and 2 others like this.
  6. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

I just can't believe she also voices an adorable armadillo.

Taek and Starletka like this.
  7. Starletka

Starletka Silver Supporter

I finally started reading 19 Days for realz, because it was long overdue after all the years of catching little snippets here and there, and while it's cute and funny and all, I have to say I don't really appreciate all the violence for laughs

Gens, howtoprocrastinate and Taek like this.
  8. howtoprocrastinate

howtoprocrastinate Well-Known Member

19 days is defintely worth the read. I liked Tamen De Gushi by the same mangaka as well. Definitely worth a read.

Starletka likes this.
  9. Claptrap

i'm intending to watch the new furuba but man...

furuba is one of the gayest Super Super Straight stories there is

10. daisicles

Is it really Super Super Straight though? Truly? Sure, maybe everybody got het paired up, but there's a lot of strong disaster bi energy exuding from several characters.

11. Claptrap

oh what I mean is so many of the characters read as queer, bi, genderweird, etc, but the ending is like... so strictly about m/f pairs and a sort of rigid matchmaking. I guess that's what I mean. so many of the characters read as very queer, and although they Continue to (I mean I still read them as bi), there's this like... intense focus on traditional matchmaking and lineage, and in some ways kind of casting characters into more traditional gender role sets which the characters themselves kind of don't fit into.

daisicles and Starletka like this.
  12. DarkLordSatan

DarkLordSatan Well-Known Member

Name please, as an ace myself I simply must know about this.

Starletka likes this.
  13. daisicles

It's I Want to be a Wall. Set for next spring.

Cherstal, Starletka and Claptrap like this.
  14. DarkLordSatan

DarkLordSatan Well-Known Member

Thanks. I checked the description on pixiv comics looks like the asexual girl is a fujoshi, that's such a big let down.

15. Akishima

Akishima Well-Known Member

For some reason I felt like watching Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi and so I binged both seasons this weekend. Despite the utter disaster it is as gay fiction, I still enjoyed the look at manga editing. It's probably been five years since I first watched it, and having a desk job now, I related to the workplace drama even more. Most relatable quote "94% of your job is getting paperwork from people who don't want to give it to you." Yep, that's my life, right there.

16. Akishima

Akishima Well-Known Member

Thinking back on Wotakoi- It would have been fun if they'd have hooked up the two guys and the two girls- we made jokes about it back then, but I could honestly see it, especially with how well the girls got on with each other. You know, that's something I don't think I've seen yet- a gay and lesbian couple both in the same story with equal focus.