Hypnosis Mic -Division Rap Battle- Rhyme Anima

Since I'm at episode 10 with the rap battles, I'm realizing why I'm not a fan of the raps. The Japanese voice-actors are just light and happy sounding, the kind that feel quite different compared to American rappers. They feel soft, not having the edge that American rappers are known for. Though its easy to make comparisons if you think of that one rap battle youtuber that I grew up with.
And of course there are the characters. Other than the fact that they have normal jobs outside of being rappers, I don't really feel attached to them. They feel more like character archetypes than real people if I'm being honest. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but they have to be relatable. So honestly, I don't like the HypMic anime, even though it does play with a cool idea.

How funny would it be if Fling Posse's leader also did his inner scheming in that stupidly annoying cutesy voice of his?

Since I'm at episode 10 with the rap battles, I'm realizing why I'm not a fan of the raps. The Japanese voice-actors are just light and happy sounding, the kind that feel quite different compared to American rappers. They feel soft, not having the edge that American rappers are known for. Though its easy to make comparisons if you think of that one rap battle youtuber that I grew up with.

It's actually not so much the way they sound for me. It's more that they don't have any flow. They sound way too polished and practiced to pass themselves off as actual rappers so they really sound more n00by than they're supposed to. I'm still having fun with this, but the energy's kind of stagnated and flatlined, especially now that

Fling Posse's out of the picture.

And of course there are the characters. Other than the fact that they have normal jobs outside of being rappers, I don't really feel attached to them. They feel more like character archetypes than real people if I'm being honest. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but they have to be relatable. So honestly, I don't like the HypMic anime, even though it does play with a cool idea.

I think looking for deep relatable characters in what is essentially an idol anime but with rap battling is a massive mistake and having the wrong expectations. I certainly didn't dive into this because I was looking for anything of substance. This is just basically all about the gimmick and rap battling to me with this premise.

How funny would it be if Fling Posse's leader also did his inner scheming in that stupidly annoying cutesy voice of his?

It's actually not so much the way they sound for me. It's more that they don't have any flow. They sound way too polished and practiced to pass themselves off as actual rappers so they really sound more n00by than they're supposed to. I'm still having fun with this, but the energy's kind of stagnated and flatlined, especially now that

Fling Posse's out of the picture.

Devilman rappers are honestly still my favourite in all of anime:

Nothing's ever topping these bros to me.

Last edited:
Episode 12.
...They were moles the whole time? Like that wasn't even hinted at or mentioned. Just comes clear out of left field. And that chick in glasses wasn't even rapping, she was just regular singing.

Episode 12:
Starting to feel glad that this is 13 episodes. Did the anime really spend time explaining the meaning behind "You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs", cause that is something even a child could understand. Not to mention the surprise betrayal that didn't really feel like a betrayal. Add in the fact that the rap battle for this episode wasn't even a rap, and that sums up how I'm feeling.

I know that A-1 has production value with this anime, but a concept can only take an anime so far. Plus I don't have a single character to like. At least Zombieland Saga tried to give the characters some background, even if they never really clicked with me. I like music anime, but this Rap Battle anime is doing a good job at making me feel unhappy.

I'm really so damn excited about this. Even before the anime trailer came out. I got reaaaally hyped tho and I kept watching it. I also keep on coming back to this page just because I wanna see it. xD <3
if i may ask...is this anime bl??

if i may ask...is this anime bl??

Sure, it is. But the show wants to be sneaky about it so it compensates by making things sound much more dramatic than they need to be.

39yxe.jpg

39yxf.jpg

Episode 13 and final thoughts:
I really tried to like this anime, but all that comes to mind is how this reminded me of other Idol anime. As I said before, a cool concept can only take a series so far, even a music based one. And really, all I'm going to remember of this series are these groups having rap battles against each other. Maybe if I saw more Idol anime before this one I could appreciate this anime more. But as it is I've grown quite tired of trying to like this genre to begin with.

You can change their shape and their color, but an Idol anime will always remain an Idol anime. 1.5/5.

I. Love. This. Anime. 5/5

It was a fresh concept that was well executed down to the smallest detail. The raps were good and they never sacrificed the quality of the raps. Every time a rap battle happened it was of an equal quality to all the previous ones and they never wasted our time with half assed raps, so scenes where a minor rap battle would happen off camera and the camera would pan over to show us the destruction and who the winner was were actually a really good thing.

Hell even the CG was good and ya'll know CG in anime is my biggest pet peeve.

The opening and ending songs were also great, that OP is going on my list of best anime openings, cuz it's catchy as heck.

I feel like it left off at a place where they could easily make another season if/when the manga has enough content for that.

I honestly expected this show to be 100% shit post fodder, but it had to go and actually be pretty fucking good. It wasn't perfect, there were times where the story felt rushed and some characters in the end were kind of conveniently wishy washy with their allegiances, but for a 12 episode anime with all the story it tried to pack in, it was still really good. I'm giving it a 5/5 for originality and just because of the fact that I unashamedly loved every second of this anime. It's a rap battle anime. Fucking amazing.

Basically, they tried to pull Yugioh 5Ds move by using mics instead of bikes but failed miserably ........ for me at least. I guess some people liked it. Putting the concept aside, even the characters weren't likable or even memorable, they all looked the same to me cause the coloring was way too bright and variant @@. I only remember long-haired dude.....kinda? Even the characters' past were all over the place and I could barely remember who was with who in the same team....
Man, why did the lottery give me this out of the whole season along with God wannabe?
0.5/5.

39L58.jpg

What's this fool talking about, everyone knows rap's really just about the bitches and hoes.

Aw, it was all right. But the joke goes on for a little too long, so the novelty becomes the norm before you know it. It's not meant to be taken seriously, I know, but the raps got so same-y (same flow, sameish beats, same everything) for me, so even if the battles were the highlights of the episodes, it was hard to get excited for them sometimes. It got a little too routine-y for its own good. I spent most of the time waiting for the show to kick into some higher gear, only for it to keep doing what it normally does. Which isn't so bad, actually. It's just that it lacked that little extra something to bump this up another level for me.

2.5/5

Battles were definitely the best part.

I was surprised because in these kinds of things usually the teams/groups I don't like succeed more than the ones I do.

I was actually expecting Buster Bros or Fling Posse to win because they feel more MC-ish to me, but both of them lost in first round. That actually caught me offguard.

But in the end, Matenro ended up winning this and I DO like them best.

Back