How did you get into anime ?

Discussion in 'General Anime Discussion' started by walimd, Sep 21, 2015.

1. walimd

walimd Guest

Posted by walimd on Sep 21, 2015
    How did you get into anime and what was the first anime you watched (knowing that it was anime)

I got into it at the age of 12 when my cousin was watching naruto and I was like ow that's really cool, what is it?
    and everything else followed XD

Naruto was my first anime (even tho I had watched pokemon and stuff before but I didn't know it was anime at the time )

2. Kenikki

Kenikki Member

When I was around 9 or so, my older brother rented VHS tapes with Armitage III (2 eps), Tenchi Muyo OVA (3 eps), and Phantom Quest Corp (2 eps) and I watched them with him. They hooked me instantly. Armitage III was particularly awesome to me.

3. Naga

Naga Well-Known Member

Posted by Naga on Sep 21, 2015
    First memory of life is my mom translating me Sailor Moon subtitles. I was either 5 or 6. Later on I watched Digimon and similar stuff, but I think I was first aware of anime somewhere around 2007. I don't even remember what I started with, probably Death Note or some shounen.

4. xCanaxCherry

xCanaxCherry Active Member

I remember watching either Yu-Gi-Oh or Sonic X on TV when I was little. I wanted to watch the rest of it because I couldn't find it on TV, and I found the Eng Sub episodes. That led to watching similar stuff on YouTube, which I didn't really know was anime. Like Sailor Moon, One Piece etc..

5. r18

r18 Ojii-san

Posted by r18 on Sep 21, 2015
    i saw alakazam the great when i was a kid and liked the way it was done it remained a memory for me ...years later i saw some anime in the rental area of a video store...

6. AdmiralMuffin

AdmiralMuffin Well-Known Member

My brothers got me into it. I grew up with fansub VHS and annual runs of Voltes V on TV. Then I saw tits when I watched Ranma, and told to myself that this will be my life from now on.

7. HiddenNugget

HiddenNugget Member

I was away from home and extremely lonely/bored, a friend let me borrow his manga books. I ended up reading Vampire Knight and Black Butler, then decided to watch some anime to see what it's like. Watched Death Note, and been in love ever since :3

8. oTwIGo

oTwIGo New Member

Posted by oTwIGo on Oct 9, 2015
    When I was younger there was this one TV channel that would play generic shounen anime all Saturday morning.
    It was where I first saw Digimon, Yugioh, Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z , and etc.
    A few years later I was suggested that I try watching something called Lucky Star and that was that.

9. Nomasama

Nomasama Guest

I was around five and stumbled upon Sailor Moon while being babysat. My dad's a gamer and my mom's a reader, so I took to both those forms of entertainment, but anime was the first form I discovered and took to by myself. It's been that way since.

10. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

Posted by Gummo on Oct 12, 2015
    The first anime I watched was Pokemon, but I was really young and didn't know anything about anime.

Around the age of 12 or so, I had a much older friend that I occasionally traded DVDs and VHS tapes with. I brought up anime in a conversation one day and he talked about how it was a medium of diverse storytelling, ect. He started lending me some from his collection, like Ghost in the Shell, Cat Soup, Ninja Scroll, Perfect Blue, Samurai X, Hellsing, Vampire Hunter D.. to name a few. I was amazed by most of them. From then on, I went to rental places and used VHS/DVD stores (this was before the expansive resources of the internet) and snagged whatever interested me. Barefoot Gen was the first anime film I found on my own that really impressed me. Eventually, I started going to book stores and checking out manga as well. The first anime series I ever watched was Revolutionary Girl Utena, which is still one of my favorites to this day.

From there on, it was an off and on interest. I'd go months, even years, without watching any anime and then something would peek again and I'd get back into it. One time, I was solely interested in anime with absurd plots, like Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan and Midori Days, but then I watched Saikano and got into more serious works, until another hiatus began.

Then one day, a little over two years ago, I was searching around my local library and found the entire manga series of Death Note. I had heard great things about it, some people comparing it to Breaking Bad or Dexter. I decided to read it and I was hooked from start to finish. I watched the anime and absolutely loved it as well. It's my favorite anime series to date. Since then, I've been watching anime quite regularly.

11. mirania

mirania New Member

I was trying to find an anime with a group of people who traveled with each other. I barely knew what anime was just watched a few mainstream things, someone suggested Nadia, I thought it was alright and here I am.

12. yoshina

yoshina New Member

The first anime I have ever came across was Pokemon when I was six years it. Then afterwards Digimon, Sailor Moon and DBZ which all air during Toonami golden age. I just became hook as I got older.

13. My friends always talks about anime and then i also start to watch anime

14. Millia

Millia Member

Posted by Millia on Nov 2, 2015
    I've been watching anime and cartoons on TV ever since I was a kid. I continued watching even as I grew older, so when I finally got an Internet connection I started searching for info on my favourite anime and episodes to download, which eventually led to finding out about other anime and getting interested in them.

15. Felly

Felly Guest

Posted by Felly on Nov 2, 2015
    I started watching them as a kid with Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z and others, but I never really realized they were anime until I got into middle school. I think that's what really sparked my liking of anime was learning about it in middle school and meeting others that also watched anime and read manga so that I could share my interests with people.

16. RoyalOss

RoyalOss Database Moderator

Seen a few anime as a child (Pokemon, DBZ) but after re-watching DBZ I found TeamFourStar which also led me to Hellsing Ultimate Abridged, which led me to the original. After that I was hooked ;p

17. Shinayda

Shinayda Member

my friend/s get me into it ^^.. Since they keep on talking about anime ;/

18. RyuzakiLollipop

RyuzakiLollipop New Member

Because Death Note was found

19. duchessliz

duchessliz New Member

When I was a kid I watched Pokemon, of course. Later on my brother and I watched Toonami every afternoon which consisted of Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, and Tenchi Muyo. The old WB station had Card Captor Sakura on every Saturday afternoon and I'd watch that and the Family Channel had Digimon every Saturday morning and I'd watch that... Eventually Toonami went off air but they'd show Inuyashi at like midnight or 1 am and I'd watch it, but that was the last anime I saw for years. I didn't know that they were anime and originated from Japan until like a year or two after I'd stopped watching all together. At that time I got really into reading and didn't really have an interest in anything else. About seven or so years later a good friend of mine, who was also an avid reader and had a similar sense of humor as myself, kept poking at me to watch Ouran High School Host Club ... so I caved and the rest is history! I became addicted to watching anime after that and I haven't looked back! xD

20. Etue

Etue Well-Known Member

Posted by Etue on Nov 24, 2015
    While I was negotiating with a fellow person about the wrong of his existence a sharp blade shaped object with a plastic handle ended up mysteriously in his chest. I did everything I could to save him that didn't require me touching him or calling anyone. His dying words were "No... I wanted to finish watching my favourite anime... I can't die... I need to see the end..."

Out of regret for not being able to save him and perhaps slight trauma and feeling responsibility I dedicated my entire life or non-life to watching anime hoping to finish the series that that man regrettably could not. At his burial I swore it to him or rather his departed soul many times as I dug the grave and placed his body in it. I was the only person there so it was the least I felt I could do.

Or something like that.