Hoozuki no Reitetsu

Episode 9:

I don't think it's slipping so much as it's already slipped. These last two episodes have been very mediocre and dull, which is a shame because before episode 7 this show was just getting stronger and stronger with each episode. The comedic timing was pretty damn dull this episode and the whole thing lacked energy. This show has always had problems with being consistent with a few stinkers in every group of segments, but these last two episodes haven't been able to pull out anything remotely funny.

It's weird because there's plenty of humor in the more perverted side of hell to be had, but every time this show goes there it's too timid to really go all out with it. Hopefully this can recover a bit before the season ends or I'll be pretty disappointed at the waste of potential here. If this doesn't improve I'm going to have trouble giving this much more than a 2.5 out of 5.

Episode 10.
That's more like it.
This show shines when Hozuki is beating on King Enma. And that was all over the place here. Poor fat bastard getting a sadist like Hozuki as his dietician. And for some odd reason, the hell version of "Ten Little Indians" they sang cracked me up. Not sure why.

Episode 10:

Yup, back to being funny. It's still quite at the high point it reached around episodes 5-6, but this was a solid episode that had a good mixture of physical humor and dialogue based jokes and puns. And the song was indeed funny and kinda cute.

Episode 11:

I'm on the fence about this episode. It had a lot of dry subtle humor but no big laughs or gags. Instead, it went with a consistent theme of how appearance is perceived which is interesting in its own way. I guess over all I thought it was decent, but Inch High Samurai was a complete douchenozzle.

^ Yeah, the inch high stuff was much better than the sisters bit, but both had at least a few moments of good observation.

Episode 12:

The episode was kind of uneven again. The first half was fairly funny, but I really don't like the Chinese Medicine guy, he sucks the fun out of most episodes when he's more than a bit player.

I am a bit confused though. Was this the last episode? because there was the regular preview for what looked like another episode at the end.

Episode 12.
I'm confused as well. I could have swore the preview from last week said this was the last episode. Would be good if it wasn't. Cause this episode wasn't that good.

Episode 13.
...Meh.

This show started strong, but lost it big time as it went on. In other words, it wasn't that good.

2.5 out of 5.

Episode 13:

This episode went back to being heavy on the references, but apart from that it was about par for the course, amusing without being hilarious. This show was a pretty decent distraction and I'd put it at about the same level of D-Frag, and okay comedy anime that no one should be in a hurry to watch, but if you have an afternoon free and want something amusing and relaxing to watch then this is the show for you. 3 out of 5

This series was weird. Not laugh out loud funny, but still entertaining most of the time with a few smiles. Honestly didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. But god, official subs were aids for this show. Not a single reference was explained. Rip if you watched them with no Japanese knowledge. I feel like this series would be way more enjoyable in manga form as well when there's time to read up and think about it.

3.5/5

Hoozuki no Reitsu has been a fresh breath of air. I mean, how often do you see the king of hell being treated like a little punk. Hoozuki is a badass.

Back