Harley Quinn the TV series

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by ZetsubouKaiji, Nov 17, 2019.

1. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

It's edgy and gritty because Harley says fuck a lot.

Zed, RascaI and Gens like this.
  2. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Nov 17, 2019
    Fucking god, Harley Quinn hasn't been Harley Quinn in ages to me. I died watching that trailer. I always hated that look she retained from Suicide Squad.

JESTER HARLEY IS BEST HARLEY FFS.

3. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

Posted by Schizm on Nov 17, 2019
    Not that I'm really against an idea like this but whenever DC tries something different with their animated stuff it's usually waaay out of my comfort zone like the constant fart jokes and dumb humour in Batman & Harley Quinn. The cursing here really brings it down for me, otherwise I'd like a Gotham Girls-esque show with a more zany attitude.

Looks like they're doing the plot of Harley becoming independent again and they're still trying to make her into Deadpool or smth. The over-the-top gore is something I've gotten used to with DC animated stuff but it never sat right with me. I prefer the days when they had to work around not being able to show violence and came up with some visually interesting ideas because of it.

ZetsubouKaiji and Gens like this.
  4. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

Say what you will, but at least it's not Tara Strong this time. Cripes, they need to stop letting that woman voice her.

5. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

Posted by Schizm on Nov 17, 2019
    I'd take her high pitch over a lackluster performance like Melissa Rauch's any day. I get it though.

BrainBlow likes this.
  6. HasseRovdjur

HasseRovdjur Breast Claw

Why does Poison Ivy sound like a stoner extra in BoJack Horseman? Oh, because she's voiced by the person who did those voices. Meh.

7. femcore

femcore Well-Known Member

I'm holding a tad bit of hope that Birds of Prey will be decent but until I have a verdict on that I'm essentially done with DC media.

I can't imagine this being anything I'd be interested in.

8. randomredneck

You're missing out on the great Legends Of Tomorrow then. Murderous unicorns, John Constantine, possessed nipples, lesbians, Beebo, all that good stuff.

femcore likes this.
  9. femcore

femcore Well-Known Member

The only thing there I'd enjoy from DC is Constantine and I have plenty of Hellblazer comics to reread. If I wanted lesbians I'd go to my best friends house lol.

10. randomredneck

Fair enough.

11. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

Just watched the first episode and it's kinda infuriating how the constant swearing and random gags bring down what is actually a cool concept inspired by Gotham City Sirens. The show tries to throw in Rick and Morty style wit and banter while also copying their excessive violence for gags that mostly fall flat.

Think the best part of the episode was Harley realizing the Joker didn't love her with the proposal scene. I mean hey, it's nothing new at this point and Mad Love did it better like 20 years ago but at least it felt like Batman and the scene itself is done well.

Wanna know what didn't feel like Batman? Commissioner Gordon in this. I have no freaking idea what they were smoking but his characterization is just so wrong. Also hearing Diedrich Bader as Batman in this felt weird, being surrounded by "fucks" and "motherfuckers".

Good animation and colours but the show's tone is definitely not my thing so far. It's Batman & Harley Quinn all over again but with more edge.

Zed, Starletka, Funkgun and 3 others like this.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  12. Jamie

Jamie Well-Known Member

Posted by Jamie on Nov 29, 2019
    Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti murdered the character of Harley Quinn and replaced her with their own horrible idea of the character.

And unfortunately it's been selling like gangbusters since. So we ain't getting Harley Quinn back any time soon.

Jesus, I'd take the Injustice version of her over theirs. At least Injustice Harley has fucking character development.

13. ZetsubouKaiji

I found the first episode to be mildly amusing. The constant swearing doesn't bother me much, but a lot of the jokes didn't hit. As with most comedies I'll give it a few episodes to find its footing before judging it too harshly.

Starletka, Schizm and BrainBlow like this.
  14. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

Posted by Schizm on Dec 6, 2019
    Episode 2 didn't really do anything to change my first impression of the show. It wasn't as bad as the one before it but Ivy's talking plant still sucks and most of the jokes still fail. That said I usually enjoy it when they humanize the villains/heroes and let them just hang out and stuff so that was a plus at least.

Best parts about the episode were Bane and some of the Kiteman scenes.

15. ZetsubouKaiji

Episode 2:

The Kiteman B plot was the best part of the episode. The rest was mostly cringe-y.

I think the biggest problem with the show right now is Harley sucks. She's annoying, not funny and unlikable. She has zero charm. Joker sucks too in this. Tudyk is doing a good job with the voice, but the writing is just awful. It's hard to believe that he's held everyone in thrall for all these years with his pathetic levels of manipulation and negging.

I'd rather be watching a show about D-list villains flirting with Poison Ivy. At least I find her somewhat likable as the voice of reason juxtaposed against all of the wackiness. It would work better if the wackiness wee actually more than sporadically funny.

Starletka and Schizm like this.
  16. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

Posted by Schizm on Dec 7, 2019
    Ivy is like a more annoyed Jane Lane so yeah, she's been alright so far. Would do the show good if her and Harley would just go rob banks and shit like in TAS when they formed a friendship and Harley broke off from Joker for a while, their independence was conveyed without her reminding us every few minutes of how she has to prove herself and beat the men. All that kinda feels like a step back tbh but I don't wanna sound ignorant if this Harley works for people.

Also, is that Penny from BBT voicing Harley? Meh.

Starletka and ZetsubouKaiji like this.
  17. ZetsubouKaiji

Yeah, that's her. I think she's doing okay with the role. I think most of the voice talent is doing well. The failings of this show are all in the script. I don't like to be one to raise the SJW boogieman, but the show is really trying too hard to be woke. As you pointed out there are other ways to demonstrate Harley finding herself without her having to avow she's the one that broke up with the Joker every five seconds.

18. Schizm

Schizm Well-Known Member

Posted by Schizm on Dec 7, 2019
    I was reluctant to call it tbh because it usually turns into stupid arguments and I wanted to wait a couple episodes more but yeah, it is there. Just hope they'll get over that part soon.

Having Harley work against the Joker isn't dismissable completely either. It's refreshing to not see her get swayed by his words immediately and stumbling back into his arms for once but they're trying a bit too hard for me with the grill power or rather it's clunkily written and not very interesting.

Again, TAS and Gotham Girls did it better without hammering it in.

ZetsubouKaiji likes this.
  19. ZetsubouKaiji

Episode 3:

This show is just way too on the nose with its commentary. There were a few okay gags in here, but most of the episode left me rolling my eyes. The most clever part of the episode was censoring cunt. It made it sound that much dirtier and more offensive when the rest of the show is the characters dropping uncensored swear words like they're going out the style.

There are a lot of amusing ideas at play. I like how the show goes into all the little mundane things that go into being a villain. There are PR firms and agencies for hiring henchmen. It's funny concept that the Venture Brothers and other shows have done better before. However, seeing one tailored to the DC Universe is still kind of cool with all the familiar references.

Which is why it's too bad that so much if it gets drowned out in everyone hating on Harley because they're all just so sexist. They almost had to sideline Poison Ivy this episode just so they could pretend that female villains have always been marginalized or even worse punished for wanting to be more. There's social commentary to be had on the topic, but not when the show is just ignoring comics history.

20. Starletka

Starletka Well-Known Member

Watched the first episode last night, and I'm not sure what to think yet (yes, you can say fuck and you can show graphic violence, doesn't mean you have to do it every 30 seconds). The voice actors are great, though. I'm especially impressed with Alan Tudyk as the Joker (channelling his inner Mark Hamill). Kaley is also a nice fit. What I don't like is Harley's lazy costume. Seriously? Again with the booty shorts? Her original costume remains the best costume.

ZetsubouKaiji and Schizm like this.