Hanebado!

My main worry for this show is that after looking so amazing in the first episode, it'll quickly turn to looking like shit.

Looking at some of the other things the studio has worked on
I8jnNSw.gif

Although really I'd be fine if they skimp during the none game scenes if they can keep the sexy animation of the first two minutes for the actual sport.

This is fair, BUT, let's not forget anime characters don't feel pain (until they do). Which is why it's perfectly acceptable for Thrawn and I to break in lolis hell yea. Hah... If I had better judgement I probably would just delete this reply.

After this quote, far too late. You and me, we're like brothers of culture! We are like brothers as you and @OneCraftyLady are the purest partners in crappy anime watching.
Looking at some of the other things the studio has worked on
I8jnNSw.gif

Although really I'd be fine if they skimp during the none game scenes if they can keep the sexy animation of the first two minutes for the actual sport.

They did Terra Formars! This anime is going to go gold.

As long as they don't skip on the bounce, thighs (In and out of Badminton) and sweating.

ep 1

Coming back to a thread full of intense approval of the show, I feel incredibly awkward.

For one thing, I felt CG to be an incredibly good choice for conveying the lively and continuous action in the badminton match, instead of the traditional background of lines that suggests such type of movements. That was super dope.

Obviously, Nagisa stands out more, because she is bitter and emotional, but I disagree that Ayano has no character. She obviously has a trauma, perhaps her parents forced her to play it from young, which is a pretty common theme in anime shows, and she's getting over it by being as normal and plain as possible. And as the show goes on, she will face her past and become more outgoing and stuff.

The non-sports animation was incredibly beautiful, but also felt out of place. As a show about passionate badminton competitions, I expected it to be more sordid and gritty, but it's way too pretty, and it gives me multiple feelings about that.

The plot was a bit too angsty for me. I mean I don't dislike passionate shows, but I'm not too good with 'enjoying youth/high school' theme and overly dramatic sports competition stacked on top. Also, I have to wonder about whether it's a good thing to start off a show with such heavy pathos appeal, I mean maybe it will accentuate the mood transition better as the episodes progress, but such serious vibe will scare off most viewers.

Overall I'm on fence about the show.

Time to run before Taek judo-flips me into my grave.

ep 1

Coming back to a thread full of intense approval of the show, I feel incredibly awkward.

For one thing, I felt CG to be an incredibly good choice for conveying the lively and continuous action in the badminton match, instead of the traditional background of lines that suggests such type of movements. That was super dope.

Obviously, Nagisa stands out more, because she is bitter and emotional, but I disagree that Ayano has no character. She obviously has a trauma, perhaps her parents forced her to play it from young, which is a pretty common theme in anime shows, and she's getting over it by being as normal and plain as possible. And as the show goes on, she will face her past and become more outgoing and stuff.

The non-sports animation was incredibly beautiful, but also felt out of place. As a show about passionate badminton competitions, I expected it to be more sordid and gritty, but it's way too pretty, and it gives me multiple feelings about that.

The plot was a bit too angsty for me. I mean I don't dislike passionate shows, but I'm not too good with 'enjoying youth/high school' theme and overly dramatic sports competition stacked on top. Also, I have to wonder about whether it's a good thing to start off a show with such heavy pathos appeal, I mean maybe it will accentuate the mood transition better as the episodes progress, but such serious vibe will scare off most viewers.

Overall I'm on fence about the show.

Time to run before Taek judo-flips me into my grave.

Ayyyyyyyy, it's all good, we all have our opinions and some may be different.

I fucking swear if this fucker be talking shit about the sweaty pumping thighs badminton show and realistic sports action then I will bust a cap in his ass before Taek judo-flips his nuts into a shallow grave.

Apparently the manga goes through a pretty drastic shift in art style, it's pretty interesting to look at:
shyqCa9.jpg

Looks like a totally different manga.

Tbh, I'm glad, they ditched the cutsey look.
If the anime took the art-style of the early stuff then this would be some crazy polarizing shit instead of just being polarizing.

Episode 1
Angsty badminton players reunite in highschool and one is super aggressive into the sport, so much that her teammates bail at one point. The other, of whom beat said aggro player, is now distanced from it, yet seems to be pulled towards it once more. Super pushy-creepy coach, friend who wont let go, and so forth. Pretty standard fair so far.

Episode 2 angst angst fly away
The coach did his job, and it fixed the tone issue! He was able to identify with Nagisa and was able to help her get over her mental blocks, which in turn made her relax and stop treating everyone around her terribly. Massive improvement already, and going forward we can get that sweet sports and fighting spirit action we want. Oh and turns out that they do actually play doubles as well as singles, so there was at least a little bit of a reason she might be hard on the people around her. Obviously not to the degree she was, but worth at least acknowledging.

We got a bit more on Ayano, it wasn't much, but I'm really appreciating her character so far. Apparently her yuri crush is her mother as well, that some boundary pushing shit for anime. In seriousness though, I do wanna see where that goes, I feel like it's compelling so far, and I still hardly know anything about it.

Everything else that was good still is, good animation, sound and what not.

Episode 2
Ayano has some mother complex issues, and Nagisa almost took a few balls to the face from the coach, but I can handle that. Great animation as usual. This has some potential.

The mopeyness went away, so I am very happy, and we got more thighs. Still the best (and only) anime I'm watching this season. I'd be way more happier if we didn't get a pink haired ojou-sama, though; that shit is fine in melodrama seventies shoujo sports shows, but here? I think not. I would like to be proven wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Nagisa bits were good. I enjoyed the mini match against the coach and his analysis of what's holding her down. I thought her slump ended a bit too suddenly, but in any case it felt good to see. I guess she just needed someone to recognize her hard work instead of summing up everything she does and achieves as ''talent''. Not only does that dismiss her efforts, but the unrealistic expectations add to the pressure she feels. I enjoyed seeing more of what goes through her mind and her getting over it.

The Hanesaki bits were... bad. Last week I said the following -
but if she doesn't give a damn and this turns into sheer ''u gotta play 'cuz u guddd'' brainwashing, I'm not on board for it.
aaand that was what this episode did, word by word. Their forcefulness in getting her to play badminton is getting ridiculous, because she is anything but comfortable there at the moment and it's obvious to everyone. Her ''friend'' is the biggest douche of all. Maybe at some point she'll begin to like it, but right now it's just a timid girl being pushed towards doing something that literally triggers traumatic memories for her, just because she's good at it. Cringeworthy.

The ojousama character was there for ten seconds and I hate her already. That last scene felt so out of place for this show... Ugh.

The animation was still looking pretty cool and slick here, although you can tell they cut a few corners here and there. Nothing major, though, and the badminton action is still fun to see.

02:

Bah, Nagisa should be the main character of this show, because I enjoy her parts way more. She's easier for me to relate to, than a talented prodigy honestly. It was good to see the angst dissipate, and I really hope she continues to get significant screen time.

The parts with Hanesaki did really suck balls though, like holy shit, I want to slap everyone of them in the face, for being such selfish fucking dicks, and the over forcefulness.

The badminton action, continues to be ridiculous awesome. I'm still orgasming, over the crispy sound of that shuttlecock being hit every time. They said, there were 10,000 frames in this episode apparently, by the animators themselves, and I believe it. Really hope they don't crash, and burn from all this tremendous effort, they're putting in.

So, yeah this episode was kind of half, and half for me. Still really quite enjoying this, but that Oujou-sama character looks like shite.

Last edited:
Episode 2:

This was a better episode than the first one for the most part.
I doubt that Nagisa's issues are really fixed. It's more like the coaching actually understanding her took enough of the pressure off that she can act a little more normally. She's the intense type anyway and when something like the slump is bother she's just a ball of anxiety and tension causing her to be insufferable to everyone around her. She's still got the same issues to deal with, but now she can focus a bit more on issues with her play rather than worrying about her reputation. Her reputation isn't something she can really fix, but at least the coach proves that some people understand. I'm sure all of this is going to be a continuing arc for her.

Hanesaki is just a boring character at the moment. There's been so much focus on Nagisa that this plot just spins its wheels for another week. I just want to them to get it over with. We all know she's going to play or there wouldn't be an anime. Get the generic backstory and her refinding her passion for the game out of the way instead of having everyone harass her to play.

Animation is pretty sextastic still. It's not as fabulous as it was in the first episode, but there's no way every episode can reach that level.

The pink hair shows up and it seems like this show is going to get a bit more lighthearted unless we're supposed to take her seriously in which case it'll probably get painful.

Episode 2:

All ruined by the desu waaaaaaaa oujou-sama. Pink hair curse is back and I hate it.

I am happy that Nagisa got over herself at the end. If she continued to be a massive asshole I'd have a miserable time with this show. I understand that athletes go through serious struggles and I don't expect her to be all good now but she took the angst up to eleven. However, we still have to deal with the other one with some sort of pent up complex.

I also dislike when someone is pushed into things they don't like or don't want to do because they have talent. That leads to resentment. Baby girl needs to get over her issues on her own.

I can't get into this. I cannot pinpoint what is that gets under my skin. But damn this show does look good, though.

Episode 2:

on the positive side, the show still looks good
also on the positive side, the captain got fixed in the end

on the negative side, the tone is still busted, and it has a variety of other issues

i'll stick around for ep3 and we'll see after that

Last edited:
Ep 1 & 2

I was ready to negatively judge this show when there was noticeable CG in the game, but my mind quickly changed to "this looks fucking awesome!".

aside from the action it's the typical highschool sports angst among the characters. But at least a decent amount of the characters seem to have some deep stuff going on to keep it interesting.

I'm on this................
Oh, the girl at the end of ep 2 could potentially lower or raise the value of the show depending on what they do with her.

Oh, yeah, there are a lot of derpy animations here and there outside of the actual in game animations that were great. And I appreciate the way they did the in-game insightful commentary where it doesn't break the action and actually flows with it.
Those moments in Koroko where the ball is mid air for like 20 seconds for somebody's monologue...............awkward.............still time for them to fuck up and eventually do that though.

Last edited:
ep 2

Angst was resolved, and everyone was happy.
I must say it feels unnatural to see the coach to point something legit out and help Nagisa get better after Uma Musume last season, where the guy just felt the horse girls' thighs and told them to run the way they wanted for the most part.
I think this bit really packed a huge pathos home for me.

The animation during the games makes me cream left and right, it's so full of energy and action and thighs, it makes everything super intense and engaging.

Nagisa is the main center of the things currently and has had more developments so far, but I personally like Ayano more so far. She wants to lead a normal life of a high school girl and forget about the trauma in the past, but in the end has to face the past. I also like the variety of her facial expressions.

It's the second episode, and I'm getting into it. If there is anything that could make me draw back, it's that pink-drills lady.

Back