Haikyuu!!

BrainBlow

[sadht]Haikyuu!![/sadht]

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations

Hinata Shouyou, upon seeing a volleyball match, is aiming to become "The Small Giant", and joins his middle school volleyball club. After finding new members, they set out for the middle school tournament, where they've cross paths with a formidable school with the "King of the Upper Court", Kageyama Tobio. Although their team lost, Shouyou is still determined to aim for the top and exact revenge on Kageyama. Upon entering high school, he received the biggest surprise--he and Kageyama are in the same school and club!

f7x8.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an amazing sports manga, and is a direct competitor with series like Kuroko no Basuke in WSJ!
Let me get this straight: Volleyball is one of my least favorite sports to participate in, but this manga is totally awesome!
I'd recommend it even to people who aren't all that much into sports series. This is the first real sports series I tried after generally having a dismissive attitude towards the genre in the past.

Last edited:
Hmmm
looks nice
will give it a shot
after reading Eyeshield21(American Football), Slam Dunk(basketball) ,my interest in sport manga got better
To poster if u havent read the two i mentioned
Do it now
It'll be worth it

Chapter 80
Lev is probably this series' closest thing to a "prodigy" like is typical of many other sports series, but that eager, competitive personality of his prevents him from being the least bit obnoxious.
And Hinata deciding to start trying to get the quick-strike without closing his eyes is awesome!
It seems like the logical next step, as then he'd be able to aim the shot.
Pumped for the next chapter!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone liked Kuroko you should give this a shot, it's very similar.
I disagree. They are delightfully different from each other!
Among other things, Haikyuu!! is far more realistic than Kuroko no Basuke, and it is almost devoid of "no-effort genius" characters.
Even the few geniuses that there are, like
Kageyama
have their skill pretty much deconstructed and shown in a more realistic light, like how
having a natural affinity on something can quickly end up alienating you from your teammates, make you less cooperative, and inspire envy.
I think the most striking moment of this is in Oikawa's flashback where he almost ended up punching Kageyama.
I really liked that about Oikawa: His character type is a dime a dozen in sports series, but quite few of his kin actually work as hard as he does, as he isn't a prodigy at all, but a hard worker.

Last edited:
VOICE ACTORS!
Still quite a while until April, and I don't imagine any VA reveals before February or March.

Thing is, I actually have a hard time imagining who will be picked, and I can't really point out any favorites myself. No, not even a role for Okamoto.
I only know I want Atsumi Tanezaki as Yachi, but since it could be until S2 that she appears it feels pointless to ponder now. Besides, there's not enough justice in the world for her to get that role.
:...:

While I'm not entirely sure it is the pick I'd go with, I still imagine that Yuuki Kaiji has a good shot at being cast as Hinata.
Noriaki Sugiyama seems like a decent pick for Kageyama, although he could probably also work for Tsukishima.
ah, I think I figured out a character for Okamoto... *sigh* Yamaguchi.
:cereal:

Chapter 81
I really like the tension being built up within the team which is bound to explode into character growth!
Sensei suddenly came with those surprisingly confident and encouraging words, which was pretty cool. He suddenly got to actually be the adviser for once.
You know, I really like him. He's pretty funny, adorkable, and we've seen some level of growth on his part as well, particularly that confidence we see here.
It will be interesting to see what happens. I honestly cannot make any concrete predictions at all.

Chapter 82
Conflict written all over this!
Dayumn, so it came to blows, and in front of poor Yachi to boot. For a moment I was afraid that it would be the kind of scene where Yachi would get hurt trying to break them up, although that would add a whole other level to this conflict that would probably take too long to resolve when it isn't so long until the next training session. Also, I wouldn't wanna see her get hurt.
And the real coach Ukai! Awesome! Looking forward to some "cool old guy" content.
I'm also curious as to what Kageyama is doing.

Chapter 86
Tsukushima-centered chapters ahead, it seems. This has been a long time coming, since I've thought he was surprisingly out of it from the start.
Really looking forward to how this turns out.

Chapter 99-100
I gasped at the sight of the girls in the team uniform. In colors. Ohmigawd. Yachan!
:love:
And the matches are finally starting! Gah, I just love the comedy and the atmosphere!
The opposing team is sympathetic enough right from the getgo. This is shaping up nicely for an opening match. The opposition is probably gonna get beat hard, but a simple steamroll would be no fun.

The best thing about it is that it's 100% factually accurate, because she is indeed cool. Pretty sad that we'll probably end before, or just as she's away to get introduced in the anime.

I love how it took her exactly one chapter for me to like her more than, than....urm.....other manager-san....
Eh, I imagine Yacchan was planned all along, but it was savvy to have her enter the story as late as that, and while it was taking a breather after the tournament so that it got enough time to develop her without "getting in the way".
All the more reason to make Kiyoko "bland."

And I think Yachi is going to end up not being introduced before season 2.
Ittetsu serves as the "clueless" character in the first act(I love how he develops, by the way), and Yachi will serve the role for the second, most likely.
I think that would be for the best, as it would be kind of terrible to have her pop up towards the end, only for the anime to, you know, end. Then we'd have to agonizingly wait for another year or two to see her again.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't stop! I can't stop!
tumblr_n056gpj3W31svncpbo1_500.png

Source

tumblr_n2q575xzKW1qhu2i6o2_500.png

tumblr_n2q575xzKW1qhu2i6o1_500.png

Sauce

tumblr_mxrlgaxJkR1rgrui5o1_500.jpg

Sausage

tumblr_n2oy56LMcR1s8658xo1_500.jpg

Saucer

tumblr_n3wk7nsOpc1r408vmo1_500.png

Source

tumblr_n4fzns8ERv1s8658xo1_500.png

tumblr_n4fzns8ERv1s8658xo2_250.png
tumblr_n4fzns8ERv1s8658xo3_250.png

Source

tumblr_n2gljlVdRy1s1mm7uo1_500.png

Source

tumblr_n10w3d30wF1qle4klo1_500.jpg

Source

At least she's getting recognition.

*Edit*
Calling it: When her turn comes, Yachi will be voiced by HanaKana.
Thought about it for a bit, and it would probably match pretty well. I'd prefer Atsumi Tanezaki, but I do that for pretty much any notable female role nowadays...

Last edited:
I doubt Kyouko was bland to make Yachi look better.
I meant it more as in the amount of time allocated to character development of a manager character.
Early on in a series' publication, a single wasted chapter cangenerally will result in a death sentence for the series.

Chapter 103-104
Yeah, it was pretty interesting to see the new strategies that they've got going, bringing their evolution one step further.
Kageyama was pretty funny with the "damn they feel good today" stuff as well.
The "antagonist" got a tiny bit of character development with how he quickly ended up conceding that volleyball is not as simple as it seems.

On the previous Yacchan note: I love how she was taking notes and giggling this chapter. The best kind of "sideline" behavior, while at the same time reminding us of some basic concepts.

Back