Gun x Sword

Episode 1:

Solid first episode. I'm not entirely sold yet but this certainly has style. The setting is very Trigun and Van is a Spike knock-off albeit a very entertaining one. Oh and there are giant robots.

The music is amazing though. Dann's theme is just great.

"Wake up, Dann!"

Yeah I think one reason why this might not have been as popular is because it's so very like trigun or bebop without much distinguishing, but it's actually much more interesting to look at in my opinion, than trigun is.

Then we get to the QUIIRRKY villain right off the bat and it kind of ruins my mood. But not too much, as this is one of the more actually entertaining things i'm watching right now tbh. It's just nice to look at and I like the atmosphere.

I'm also not sold on the characters yet though. I think we have more distinguishing to do here before these characters get more one note. We'll see how that goes. Not a fan of the whole wife thing. But there was some sort of tension there at the end, I liked that scene.

Episode 2:
Uh...huh.

I sure didn't expect this show to be so...out-there.

Metal Guru? An independent nation? Ruled by dudes with controllable beards? And they want 200 women to bear their children? Man, this is a lot weirder than the first episode. First episode was weird but it followed a standard formula but this one.. sheesh.

It's still entertaining though but I got a feeling the bulk of this show will be just episodic and bizarre as fuck. I hope I'm wrong.

Episode 3:
This episode obviously pays homage to classic super robots so yeah that means I enjoyed the fuck out of this episode despite how predictable and by-the-book it is. I just can't bring myself to hate something that shamelessly reference Combattler V and the Brave series.

Episode 4:
Finally we're delving into Van's past. It's pretty obvious Elena is a dead lover or something and the man with the claw is the one who killed her. Oh and someone else is looking for the claw man so yeah rival time.

Episode 5:
Solid episode. We're introduced to Ray Lundgren who has the same goal as Van except he gives zero shit about collateral damage and will do anything and kill anyone to reach his goal. A pretty simple but effective rival and foil to Van.

Episode 6:
A fun and light-hearted episode.

I totally dug the Scarface reference. The opening scene was pretty hilarious but kinda got annoyed when the restaurant kicked Van out. I mean he disarmed two Bonnie and Clyde wannabes and he's the one that gets the flak? He should get a free meal for taking out two robbers in non-lethal fashion. I mean sure a window got busted but nobody got hurt. Oh well.

2-3
The mustache to end all mustaches. I respect his manly lipworm but the rest of the episode was alright.

The third was some inspirational old dudes kicking ass like old dudes can, and was also alright. That ending tho. Was kinda awkward.

Episode 7:
A meh episode. First half is just Van and Wendy rethinking about the goal of their journey and Joe sharing a lot of deep and philosophical crap. The second half makes up for it with a cool mecha battle though.

Episode 8:
Now this one is an enjoyable episode. Nice to see Ray again and we finally get to know more of his back story thanks to his younger brother who is now traveling with Van and Wendy for some reason.

The restaurant scenes were definitely the highlight of the episode for me.

Episode 9:
Was hyped because we're finally gonna know more about Carmen but most of this episode was a painful slog. We do get a glimpse of a major villain but other than that this was just nothing but mediocre drama.

Episode 10:
This was a fun episode, mostly thanks to the smooth but very hammy Captain Kaiji and his Engrish. I do like the fight between Dann and the submarine that launches rocket punch torpedoes in the second half. Most underwater mecha fights are pretty bad but this was okay.

Episodes 11 & 12:
These two episodes finally move the plot in a big way. Wendy finally finds her brother but unfortunately he's one of the Claw guy's loyal goons now.

We find out more about Van and he's connected to some group called the Original 7 who were supposed to be protectors of the planet they're on which was originally some sort of prison planet used by Earth or some shit. Pretty crazy stuff.

The villains are now properly introduced and they're all pretty interesting so far. Of course, after so many hints and what-not, the big bad finally has a face. I didn't expect him to be this really super nice old man. So nice that he's being flocked by animals. Yeah I'm leaning towards charismatic well-intentioned extremist on this one.

4-6

There were some sweet moments in these but 6 hit me like a stupid car. What was that? XD what a random episode. But I guess I'm glad it turned out alright

7-13

brother character and the entire episode surrounding him utterly suckethed. But our new friend that joined the duo on their adventure, joshua... I'm not sure about him. He works in his own episode but he seems like such an extra in the rest of these. I liked the rest of these episodes for sure. The intensity gets more or less better with each episode.

Wendy reminds me of kagura from gintama with her story with her brother and that part of it is certainly interesting, but the brother himself... whatever his name is, what a lame fuckin character hahaha fuck that guy

May I also say i love how van has no idea where his damn robot is coming from. Also ep 13 was an emotional peak. I liked it. And it was the one time joshua was useful. Yay!

Last edited:
Episode 13:
Claw: "Why do you want to kill me again?"

Ray: "You killed my wife!"

Claw: "Well now. Aren't you overreacting a bit? She still lives in your heart, right? Isn't that enough?"

Wow. That's just... Wow.

Anyhoo, this episode was great. Best episode so far. Great action and an emotional roller coaster from start to finish. Van's crazy face when he finally finds Claw guy was the cherry on top.

Episode 14:
Meh episode but it's nice to hear Saeko Chiba's genki voice again. Wonder if she'll reprise her role as Priscilla in SRW T? I totally could see some good Domon and Chirico interactions if this episode gets adapted in the game.

Episodes 15 & 16:
These two episodes finally provided Van some much needed character development. While I don't dislike his aloof attitude it's about darn time he opens up and get more insight on what makes him tick and his goal to kill the Claw Man. I wish his final duel with Wo was a bit longer.

Speaking of Wo, man what a nutjob. I thought he's a little more stable than his cohorts (other than Gadved of course) but guess not. Guy has a serious Oedipus complex. Also, is the Claw Man his father based from that flashback? Really messed-up if that's the case.

Melissa and the other fuck were annoying. I'm glad they died actually. But that old fuck is one crazy goober. "My Comerade"'s blind followers are all dumb tbh, and I care very little about all of them. Van I care about the most because he's shown emotion in a way that doesn't irritate me. This show's really just okay.

Episode 17:
Oooookay. It's been a while since we had a really weird episode. It's amusing enough I guess and I didn't find the fan-service annoying but then again I love boobs so there. But hey Van has a group now and a mobile base and that's pretty cool. It's nice to see the El Dora guys again even if they spend the whole episode being shit-faced.

Episode 18:
This episode pretty much proves Claw Man is a bigger psycho than I thought. He's so batshit crazy that his grunts want out when they find out his grand plan, appropriately named "Time of Happiness", but too bad his Original 7 are a buncha tools and they got whacked. We do get to see Michael's Armor in action at least.

Episode 19:
This episode tries too hard to make me feel bad about the twins but fails miserably. Mah boi Ray gave those brats what for and that's cool. El Dora Five and Priscilla make for a good team that I think they can carry their own show.

Episode 20:
All it took for Michael to fully jump into Claw Man's insane plan of completely subjugating free will is to have a taste of that Fasalina booty. Never was a fan of him and now I hate him more. Hope Ray shoots him in the face.

Episode 21:
This is a pretty exciting episode but too bad the good guys lose and get a thorough thrashing. Brownie's butt gun was hilarious but the highlight of course was Fasalina's Armor. I'm a dude who likes fan-service but I don't find Fasalina's pole dancing and sexual innuendos arousing at all. Just like Van said she's just creepy and unsettling.

Episode 22:
Good episode. Things are bad after last episode but everyone manages to bounce back. They even got Ray to work with them too and somehow him and Van are kinda getting along now. Kinda. I think.

Episode 23:
Things are getting exciting as we near the end and Van and Michael finally duke it out. I mean it's bad enough Michael has Kira Yamato's voice and now he's pretty much adapted his personality too. Van calling him an idiot and telling him to shut up was just hilarious.

Ray gets some action too but will he manage to survive his fight with Fasalina? I mean this episode is just full of death flags for him.

Episode 24:
Pretty obvious Ray is gonna buy the farm but I like the way his death scene played out. Just seeing the Claw Man make that face was pretty damn satisfying.

Episode 25:
It's the penultimate episode so yeah Carlos needs to wake up and make the whole El Dora team go full force. Seeing Michael gets his ass kicked and his Armor crippled was even more satisfying than Claw Man's horrified face.

Episode 26:
And bam. A very solid finale. Van finally does what he promised since the beginning with no fuss. His final confrontation with the Claw Man was swift and sweet. A nice clean slice.

Fasalina and Michael's fates is up in the air but I suppose that's intended. Did they get squished or not? I don't care much for them to bother me that much. Van got what he wanted and we got a happy ending. It's all good.

Overall, this could have been more but it was still a solid mecha series. The more episodic stuff in the middle is a hit or miss for me but I greatly enjoyed the final arc. The characters take time to warm up to but in the end they're all entertaining.

I give this a 3.5 out of 5.

Fuck the pole dancing hoe.

22-26
Yeah, the whole deal with justin's bro and onward was a very solid final act with some rage inducing moments and some happy ones and cool ones, all in good ways mostly. Michael and his Comrade are some of the most irritating characters I've ever witnessed and that's to be expected. No remorse or love for that guy at the end, but I did find him calling van an idiot in like, a friendly way, kind of ironic and silly. Van's reappearance at the end so easily made his disappearance in the first place seem kind of meaningless though. But I guess it fit his character.

Overall it's a decent mecha series but at times it felt like maybe there were mechs just kinda because. The whole thing felt disconnected from the characters, as van's whip sword and all the cool little weapons all the characters had without the mechs seemed to be like they were the original concept, to me. More should have been done with the raw physical element of this world than was done with the mechs. Again, it wasn't bad, just didn't seem like the concept was soilidified, seemed like they took two of them and just kinda mashed them together without worrying about how well they were going to fit in the end. But hey I give them credit for going all in on it.
6/10, cool-cool.

Back