Golden Kamuy

ep 7
wild he lived, and wild he went...

Although I didn't like the hunter dude, but I was impressed by him.
And his death was really deep and primitive in a way that I can't really explain.

The Frankenstein-Hulk chasing Shiraishi was amusing.
What a place to cut the episode at though.
Without warning, or music intensifying to suggest the tension and end of the episode.
That was a bit disagreeable.

Action is interesting, and the anime as a whole is not amazing but it's one of the better ones this season.

Episode 7:

Most of the episodes follow the pattern of them killing something and then eating it. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't eat the old hunter.

The old hunter was an interesting character because even in the historical setting he felt like an anachronism for an older time. Even in the early 2oth century the world had already passed him by. It makes his hunt for Retar interesting because they're both the last survivors of a dying breed. The difference is Retar has decided to adapt and find a way to pass on a part of himself. Such thoughts never crossed the hunter's mind and it got him killed.

The back story for Captain Red Skull was predictable, but fine. His reasons for wanting the gold are nothing special. However, he feels slightly less cartoonish now, which is nice.

I'm not a fan of the character at all, and think he's easily the weakest part of the show, but this was still pretty amusing to me:

nrFIFlr7CORquVXUruqsgX7_vk5DYGRTH5IQk-lMAzc.png

As if, he couldn't be painted anymore evil lol

Episode 8:

The serial killer with the golden boner isn't as interesting as the hunter, but he's a good mix of creepy and funny. I doubt he's going to last much longer than next episode because he's cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs, but he's a suitable distraction to keep everyone busy while the old dudes put their plot in motion.

Although the serial killer really can't match the Captain Red Skull in the creepiness department. The way he was rubbing up on that corpse made my skin crawl a bit.

This show has a ton of deviant personalities. It's cool watching the fringes of society in a time when Japan was going through major cultural upheaval. Most of these characters are completely delusional about the changes they can make, but these wackadoos could still make a lot of noise with that much gold at their disposal.

I'm also hyped for next episode, because I'd like to see them sit around eating whale. I wonder what kind of dish they'll make.

ep 8

The true intention of Hijikata group has been revealed.
I feel like they give more depth to both Lt. Tsurumi and Hijikata,
but they also give a comparison to Sugimoto. Though it has been pointed out already,
both Tsurumi and Hijikata, as ill-intending and loose nut as they may appear,
both have a reason for attaining the gold, i.e. honor and vengeance, that is higher than what Sugimoto is fighting for, at least in the broad sense.
In that sense, Sugimoto is not exactly the good of the group, nor are the others evil.

The gold-boner serial killer? No comment, if I may.
He is interesting character though.

8zK5qh2.jpg

he is, and this episode is getting into some really interesting territory as a result. im at the point where im minding the animation less and less too.

I think I'm at this point as well. I stopped caring awhile ago, as much as I could complain about it every episode, the strength of the source material, manages to shine through at least and carry this show entirely for me. Pretty animation, can only do so much for me, but the other way around however, with good plot, and characters can at least make up for that weakness.

Episode 8

The first part of this episode was boring but meh, important story shit I guess?

Who is making these choices though? They cross a river and then it goes to a couple random shots of the surroundings, some plants growing, some dead guy, and....

Two frogs fucking.
unknown.png

Is this in the manga? (I wouldn't be surprised honestly) if not...why? I'm not even phased by the dead guy cuz people have been dying this whole time, whatever. But if this isn't a scene from the manga then someone made the choice to just, include 2 horny frogs in this scene for whatever reason. This was someone's job, sex frogs.

I'm 100% done with this guy's penis light, whatever that is. No thanks.

unknown.png

Not enough food/eating scenes or poop jokes. Try again next week Golden Kamuy.

09:

When Sugimoto was killing off golden bonAr, holy fuck guys, that has to have been the most homoerotic killing I've ever seen in my life. The gayness levels were over 9000. GIVE ME ALL THE GAY.

Mvr3Vp7.png

R.I.P Golden bonar. I really enjoy the weird quirkiness to this show honestly.

ep 9

tumblr_p9ulz1Vtf31xpa4eoo1_1280.png

After GenSan's photo comparison of Tsurumi and Hitler, when I saw this, I remembered that Hitler used to paint too.
Artistic minds are fit for crimes, I guess...

That being said, this episode's homoeros and kink value broke all records. What the fuck was that?!
tumblr_p9ulz1Vtf31xpa4eoo2_1280.png

tumblr_p9ulz1Vtf31xpa4eoo3_1280.png

tumblr_p9ulz1Vtf31xpa4eoo5_1280.png

Goodness gracious! God have mercy on my innocence. But I can't deny I didn't enjoy it. Yaoi& death kink for the win.

Tanizaki's struggle was pretty damn exciting.
It was cool how he became attached to Sugimoto and the Ainus.
Also, him inheriting the hunting boner was the right thing to happen, I felt. Yay.

I can't say I don't enjoy this show's interpretation of Hijikata, but historically, he was known as the Demon Vice-Commander, because of how much of as rule-stickler he was and made everyone who failed to follow commit seppuku. He really wasn't that evil and shrewd I think, but it's pretty cool I guess.

EP 09

Good ep. Wow, had a serial killer that really enjoyed his work. Nantucket sleigh ride. And Sugimoto diving with his hat on! Not to mention creepy old Hijikata and a sniper fight. Trivia? How many scars does Sugimoto have on his body? We had a sneak peek under water. Now I know what people mean when I have a gleam in my eye!

Episode 9:
This was the best episode for me, but it only works because we have been slowly prepared that this is actually a B-movie.

So much this. The first half of this episode was some dumb shit and just kept getting trashier and dumber, but it was hilarous and fits the over the top tone of the show. This isn't the sort of thing I was expecting when I started the show, but fuck it because this is dumb fun.

I thought the homoerotic murder was funny enough, but then fuckin' orca out of nowhere. I was ready to piss myself when the killer whale started tossing his golden boner up in the air.

I will say there was a bit of a point to the gayness buried under all the comedy. These criminals are reflecting aspects of Sugimoto. In this case it's dark when you think about it because this was pretty much suggesting that some part of Sugimoto has enjoyed all the killing he's done. His reactions with the serial killer make it clear he understands the euphoria the killer felt being so close to death. A more nuanced anime probably could have brought the point out in a way that wasn't so goofy, but I'll take a bit of depth in my B-movie.

The second half of the episode was just kind of cool actually. There was some tension and then an unlikely escape to give him a chance to fight off the sniper. This is the kind of show where I could see them killing off the granny, so I was tense during the standoff. I'm glad it didn't go that route. I got a laugh out of granny laying down with the pot on her head. The end of the episode served as an effective hook to make me want to watch next week.

So much this. The first half of this episode was some dumb shit and just kept getting trashier and dumber, but it was hilarous and fits the over the top tone of the show. This isn't the sort of thing I was expecting when I started the show, but fuck it because this is dumb fun.

I thought the homoerotic murder was funny enough, but then fuckin' orca out of nowhere. I was ready to piss myself when the killer whale started tossing his golden boner up in the air.

I will say there was a bit of a point to the gayness buried under all the comedy. These criminals are reflecting aspects of Sugimoto. In this case it's dark when you think about it because this was pretty much suggesting that some part of Sugimoto has enjoyed all the killing he's done. His reactions with the serial killer make it clear he understands the euphoria the killer felt being so close to death. A more nuanced anime probably could have brought the point out in a way that wasn't so goofy, but I'll take a bit of depth in my B-movie.

The second half of the episode was just kind of cool actually. There was some tension and then an unlikely escape to give him a chance to fight off the sniper. This is the kind of show where I could see them killing off the granny, so I was tense during the standoff. I'm glad it didn't go that route. I got a laugh out of granny laying down with the pot on her head. The end of the episode served as an effective hook to make me want to watch next week.
I almost dropped it around episode 5, but I'm glad I kept around it. The cartoony villains and criminals were simply not what I expected.
Whoah, I didn't seen it that way. I just thought that homoerotic bit was done for the goofs, but that blows my mind when I see it this way. That also makes it understandable that he latches onto Asirpa so much. She's basically the humane counterpart of him and he probably hopes that she pulls him away from it.

I feel violated. But it's not the first time it's happened this season.

At least sugimoto wasn't wearing mind control pantsu
Hell I guess I'm happy for the guy, getting to die just how he wanted by who he wanted, and as I said, to some degree I relate.

Which is weird. I'm weird.

And so is this show. You'd think we're a perfect fit.

Second half was pretty coul; I like the char designs of all these guys tbh.

[]spoiler the bear is back spoiler[/]

All the characters besides the main few seem to be making a point to be as gross as possible all the time and i sorta like that. Not a lot going on, this show is such a mix of silly, sorta comfy at times in the most uncomfortable way possible, and downright gross with the villains' stuff.

7lKM18H.png

stuff like this kills me though

man that headshot looked so like this show. goofy af.

as for the second half we'll be going into some thicc plot now. For real. the Real type of plot.

The show remains unremarkable for now with a few good moments so far yet.

Back