Golden Kamuy

I dropped this one because the execution left me without any feeling.
I would read the manga before starting this again. I've heard that the manga has passion behind it, and
is more gory.
Too bad...

I have heard that his family may have taken him out to the childs grave during Vincent's birthday every year. I do not know how true this may be, but I can believe that given some of the strange rituals that people have about child death.
I, too, would have gone mental if that is true. Visiting a gravestone with your name and birthday on it is fucked up enough. Being constantly compared to your dead brother by your mother that demands perfection of you is hard. The mother digging up the mentioned dead brother on your birthday would be the final nail to my coffin.

I, too, would have gone mental if that is true. Visiting a gravestone with your name and birthday on it is fucked up enough. Being constantly compared to your dead brother by your mother that demands perfection of you is hard. The mother digging up the mentioned dead brother on your birthday would be the final nail to my coffin.
Some parents do not seem to like their own children.
I vote for a parenting exam. If you do not pass, you are not to parent.
To parent is a verb.

Some parents do not seem to like their own children.
I vote for a parenting exam. If you do not pass, you are not to parent.
To parent is a verb.
I wish that would be implementable. Sadly every idiot can get pregnant or impregnate someone.

You are welcome, Zets.
Now I feel hungry for squirrel meat...
You mean some squirrel brain. Now that is a delicacy.

ep 3

the bear strikes again!
I give up on animation part of this show.
Will continue on for the sake of plot and Ainu trivia.
The gore/action and the cute animal moments, and more Ainu culture overview was good though.
Some important developments happened.
Seems Hijikata and the 7th division is solidified as the antagonistic cast.

Child, I shall dub thee 'Uncle's Armpit Pube'

Episode 3

Hell yeah give me more of that sweet ass bear (said no one ever.)
31518023_10160213447680696_8375266805081440256_n.png

31475618_10160213451615696_157645215526551552_n.png

NOW THIS IS SOMETHING I CAN GET BEHIND! Kill that bear, get em.
31430939_10160213460445696_451217367058350080_n.png

Um, hold on a second. So they CAN draw bears? Either stick with shitty CG bears or draw all the bears, don't give us this frustrating half and half shit lol. Also all of the bears in this show absorb light and are barely distinguishable as anything other than vaguely bear shaped blobs.
31519055_10160213465695696_1069098534856294400_n.png

It's the return of everyone's favorite doggo! Noodle Legs!

31429393_10160213484270696_5825710807278682112_n.png

This show is hot garbage, It could have been so much better.

Episode 4

I got to the point where, as Shikiya said, I am starting to care less about the visual. If they spare me of CGI (I can survive the fire), I am going to be fine. Maybe a good sign, since there is something interesting about the art.

Continuing with the trivia about Ainus I don't mind a bit. It is cute and I believe it is vastly based on the truth. Asirpa getting enraged by Sugimoto's offering of miso to the grandma was hilarious and the backstory of the wolf made Asirpa quite a tragic character in the end. I guess it is obvious, but the romantic line is being more and more exploited. I expected it to be a possible thing, but still wasn't convinced, since Asirpa looks too small and too young to be even considered as possible love interest to Sugimoto? I believed in her being more of a right hand and the morale/ethics keeper, holding the leashes of Sugimoto if he would get too triggered in a killing rampage. Other than that the Ainus look like a lovely bunch of people.

Now credit where is due:
4yomMva.png

The battle techniques are a bit derpy, but finally this kind of creativity I want to see. He flew longer and cooler than Chuck Norris..

PouSwhW.png

..and this I can't fathom how he did, but yeah, do it!

The gore in the second half is cold and rigid. Either smacking the gun into his face, the con runner getting bitten by the wolf around his head or Sugimoto nonchalantly getting pierced through his hand or mouth with the dango stick, boy, nasty bits. And they all care less or have no pain threshold at all. The villain is creepy, but not creepy enough for me to lovingly hate him for now, though I am sure we will get there. The twins voiced by Sugita are hilariously awkward. I hope they don't get killed easily.

Decent. Wasn't bored and bears were far away this time. It promises wilder action next time and I hope they can step up with that.

Last edited:
Episode 4:

Petition to make this show a slice of life about Sugimoto moving into the Asiripa village and learning about Ainu culture. The first half of this episode charmed the pants right off of me. It was funny and informative while developing the characters. The only problem is some of it felt rushed because they felt the need to move the plot along in the second half of the episode. I felt like the bit about Asiripa and Retard got a bit too compressed to have the proper impact, but it was still good material.

Then the second half of the episode happens and while it's by no means terrible the shitty animation goes into full force which rips all the fun out of any action. However, the animation is equally bad when there's no action. Just look at the bit where Skull Guy was eating the dango. He's talking and chewing, but the dango stay perfect circles in his mouth as if they're not being chewed at all, then in the next frame the dango disappear without him swallowing or anything. It's distracting.

Even without nitpicking the animation the plot isn't grabbing me because it's really generic and the villains aren't interesting so it's just a bunch of characters hunting for a MacGuffin. I did enjoy the return of the Scat King and hope he'll help Asiripa with a fun escape plan next week.

Also, Sugimoto buttfucked physics so hard when he flipped that chair. I like more as the dorky guy joking around with Asiripa than I do as the action hero, though.[/spoiler]

Probably the best episode so far even if the second half falls back to weaker material.

Petition to make this show a slice of life about Sugimoto moving into the Asiripa village and learning about Ainu culture. The first half of this episode charmed the pants right off of me. It was funny and informative while developing the characters
I would sign this petition so quick you wouldn't even realise i signed your butt-cheeks...

as the others said, the Ainu stuff is interesting, i quite like him learning about them and i totally wanting him to just stick around their village, befriending them and what not, despite his history, he seems to fit in.
So Asiripa has a sad story to tell, that wolf better not be hurt by that hunter from last week!!! I have grown to like the wolf!
Still, watching Sugimoto leave like that left a bad taste, i mean i get his reasons and all but considering the Ainu's accepting of him with my personal desire to learn about them, i wanted him to not leave and continue there... but the story goes on.

Yeah i didn't mind the second half, as said i prefer learning on the Ainu, but the story isn't bad, Sugimoto's chair roll throw thing was cool, i like he takes shit from no one and just slams it out there, i do second what ZK said, it felt a wee bit rushed.

I don't mind the story and the persuit for this treasure, don't get me wrong, it has its interest there, i just would of not complained if he sat around teaching me about the Ainu, being the dorky ex-military guy having fun with the old people, hunting with Asiripa and playing the dumb kids games, learning their customs or traditions and what not, but hey, i am a culture geek who loves these kind of things.

I quite enjoyed this episode as a whole though

4th was great.

When there's not to much frame-packed action, the violence has a certain distinct feel to it that somehow, Geno's lackluster style makes work surprisingly well. Everyone does look derpy, yes, but it somehow works more and more.

No bears, so I don't have many complaints. Sugimoto continues to be best badass of the season.

Really worried about this show, will most likely pick up the manga.

But I will at least check out the first five episodes to see where it leads. If the studio doesn't have the resources to do the project, then this won't end well (as they will be even lower on resources near the end). But if they could pull it together, this could become a decent series. I wish a more mature studio would have gotten this though, so promising.

04:

This anime has been by no means perfect, but at least I'm starting to get some real enjoyment out of this, ignoring the animation problems. Sugimoto, and Aspira, pretty much carry this show really well to me as a fun duo and they've got great character chemistry, when it's not derping out on the action. Sugimoto making noises and yelling in the first half with the window thing, was just the funniest thing, and also:

nUvP5pJ.png

All this unko talk, so amazing.

Also, why the fuck, can't they make all the bears look like that cute bear cub? Goddammit. >=/

Have to agree, this was the best episode so far.

Last edited:
Miso is poop! I like the ongoing joke, but I hope they don't overplay it. :) Yeah, this was a great EP. Question, will the baby bear grow up to be a CGI bear?

Episode 5

It started as the best part we had so far, at least for me. The first half was action packed, bloody and tense. It still has quite derpy ideas how to make Sugimoto survive, but eh, this time I was ok with them. Sugimoto really is immortal, but he still bleeds, feels pain, making him considerably human in my eyes. All in all though he is pretty badass (how long did he let those sticks inside his mouth?!) and it is definitely the main duo, him with Asirpa, who are so far pulling the show in the right way. I had a laugh at the sleezy entrance of the Escape King and the villan's dance with the dressed tattoos.

The switchup is odd to feel though. Yet again we get some more trivia, which is cute again, but this time it slowed down the pace too much from the first half, like when a rolling train has to slow down to pass on a barely holding bridge. The faces during the eating minute were fun again, but there's where it quite ended for me, since, yet again and I hope for the frickin final time we have to have a meeting with our CGI abomination. The worse thing also is the the amount of lines this will have: Sugimoto & co + the cutfaced villain + now a mafia ninja + the still alive soldier, which I don't care at all and generaly feel 4 lines is too much. The ending fight had some cool moment or two, but that was it.

Liked the first half, the second one not so much, but I enjoyed it overally. Definitely going on.

Five:

The show has earned the title of "chuckled slightly"

The scene where she finally ate the stuff with miso on it was so derpy i couldn't help giggling- the escape sequence was pretty well done and i hardly noticed anything wrong with it until the choppy directing during the chase itself.

What REALLY impressed me was the badass vice shinsengumi captain waltzin in with his crew and tearing ass through everyone there- impressed not with the scene, but the concept and how well it could've been done. I mean there were a few cool shots but imagine if a better studio was working on this, it could've looked amazing...

AND THEN THE BEAR CAME BACK to average it all out.
The horse meat talk in this episode reminded turkey he had some very important business to take care of~
[fín]

Back