Ghost in the Shell

Buru

[sadht]Ghost in the Shell[/sadht][sadhl=119]ghost-in-the-shell[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

Hey guys, I've been wanting to watch Ghost in the Shell for quite a while now, but the problem seems to be that there are a lot of titles.

If I start off with watching the movie (Ghost in the Shell) first and I'll like it, how should I continue (chronologically)? Is it necessary to watch all titles in order to complete the overall story?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
well...since the Movie and Innocence are based on the Manga (I think)you could watch those first.. Then watch Ghost In The Shell: Stand ALone Complex, Ghost In The Shell: Stand ALone Complex 2nd Gig and after these 2 series you can watch the movie that takes place after them: Ghost In The Shell: Solid State Society.

You also have : Ghost In The Shell: The Laughing Man and Ghost In The Shell: The Individual Eleven but those are a compilation..it breaks down the series.

Anyway, that's my suggestion \o

Ghost In The Shell / Ghost In The Shell 2.0
Ghost In The Shell: Innocence
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
Ghost In The Shell: Solid State Society

Last edited:
Yea, that pretty much sums it up. If you don't care about "fillers" in the series then go with the 3 hr compilation movies. Those are pretty much all the "main plot" episodes smashed into a 3 hr movie. I prefer those overall instead of the watching the whole series.

I personally don't like "The Laughing Man" and "The Individual Eleven" compilations. The other stories weren't your typical fillers and the compilations are voiced by a completely different english voice cast that is...less than great in my opinion and doesn't hold a candle to the usual english cast.

Without some of those "fillers", you're really missing out on some character development/back stories.

I personally don't like "The Laughing Man" and "The Individual Eleven" compilations. The other stories weren't your typical fillers and the compilations are voiced by a completely different english voice cast that is...less than great in my opinion and doesn't hold a candle to the usual english cast.

Without some of those "fillers", you're really missing out on some character development/back stories.

Ah, I don't watch anything dubbed, might be why we have a difference of opinion on that behalf. The Japanese cast is still the same, at least I thought it was.

The Japanese cast is still the same, at least I thought it was.

Indeed it is! lol Can you tell I like dubs? (well done dubs that is) My mistake though, if you watch it in Japanese you should be fine, but you're still missing out on some cool episodes.

It really depends on each one..I myself enjoyed all the episodes but, the compilations arent half bad when it comes to explain the plot ^^

It really depends on each one..I myself enjoyed all the episodes but, the compilations arent half bad when it comes to explain the plot ^^

Yeah, I sorta liked the the episodes due to a build in the characters. Well in the 2nd gig that is.
I will say the the first season they do not build much on anyone but The Major/Batou and the Chief.
I enjoyed all the episodes but could see how you could cut episodes such as
the episode with the Tachicoma and the kid, or the entire episode that Motoko is in a virtual chat room.
So few series I personally find almost every episode well done as Ghost in the shell SAC.

I did not know they dubbed the compilations.

Ghost In Shell, chronology

hi, id like to ask about chronology of GIS, i know its

(from oldest to newest)

Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG
Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. Solid State Society

but there are 2 more:
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Individual Eleven
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - The Laughing Man

and i dont know, where they connect to the story, so if anybody knows, lets me know :)

Thanks

Re: Ghost In Shell, chronology

They asked the same in another thread, you find it here.

Anyway your order ir correct (even if Stand Alone Complex is a story which has no links with the movies ones) while Individual Eleven and The Laughing Man are just "compilations" of the main stories seen in the S.A.C. series.

Re: Ghost In Shell, chronology

hi, id like to ask about chronology of GIS, i know its

(from oldest to newest)

Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG
Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. Solid State Society

but there are 2 more:
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Individual Eleven
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - The Laughing Man

and i dont know, where they connect to the story, so if anybody knows, lets me know :)

Thanks

Individual Eleven = 2nd GIG
The Laughing Man = SAC

well...since the Movie and Innocence are based on the Manga (I think)you could watch those first.. Then watch Ghost In The Shell: Stand ALone Complex, Ghost In The Shell: Stand ALone Complex 2nd Gig and after these 2 series you can watch the movie that takes place after them: Ghost In The Shell: Solid State Society.

Y
[/Spoiler]

Dammit I watched Solid State Society first. No wonder it didn't make any sense :P

well some people watch the series, then solid state society, then the movies..but damn, to watch solid state society first is pretty...lonesome xD
Solid State Society was very good u.u go watch the series now ZelozX!

Heya ! Im interested in, Ghost In The Shell. I would really appriciate if someone could tell me wich Ghost In The Shell i should start to watch, If i search for that anime on A-P i get 4 results. Wich one is the first serie and in wich order should i see the serie / movies?

Thanks in advance ! :smile:

//zR0 !

*Merged post into already existing Ghost in the shell thread*

Greetings zR0, as from what I can tell (sadly I haven't gotten the chance to see this yet) people are fairly inconsistent on the viewing order of how to watch this. From what I've read the films and TV series are set in alternate universes...

Ghost in the Shell (takes place in 2029)
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (takes place in 2032)

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (takes place in 2030)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig (takes place in 2032)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society (takes place in 2034)

There is additionally two OVA's that go along with the show, "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Individual Eleven", and "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - The Laughing Man" but I'm not sure where they go in the series.

But you might be better off waiting for someone who has seen the series for more information.

~rock

Back