GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018)

I love it so far. Also love how they kept the theme tune. So few do that nowadays.

They really managed to pull it into the modern times and keep the essence of the show at the same time. It feels quite fresh, but it feels like Gegege no Kitarou.

Also fuck that guy who got turned into a tree in the beginning.

holy crap I loved this. I'd never even heard of the original so I went into this knowing nothing but this might be a contender of my favorite for this season.

This episode was like yokai in a world where most people in japan were shitty Logan Paul-esque vloggers. I liked it a lot, I can't wait to watch more of it.

This time it was a bigger variation from the classic Miage-Nyudo story.
They could have done something a bit more clever with the fight, though. It was a bit too contrived just to give the human girl and Neko-Musume some more character.
A solid episode, but at parts a bit slow with the introduction of the other characters like Ratman.

I like that Kitarou has some more character this time. He's a bit awkward around people, especially humans.

Next time is the Yokai castle, one of the more beloved episodes in the original.
Not as good as the first, but still solid. Still in the introductory phase, so it'll probably pick up more steam next episode.

Episode 2

Still loving it. It's cute and cheesy in all the right ways.

The part where the girl just happened to conveniently have the blueprint to the building and little eyeball man was like "How convenient!" was great. I'm looking forward to watching this show develop more and see what else it throws at us. I never saw the original but if it's better than this I might have to give it a go.

I never saw the original but if it's better than this I might have to give it a go.
Which original do you mean?
The 60's and 70's versions haven't aged particularly well.
The 80's version is quite good, but there Kitarou is more "fighting for justice"-tropey.
The 90's version is also quite good, he is a bit calmer there.
The 07's version is the best and most similar to this version now. He is more cynical and dry and it gets a tad darker sometimes.

Which original do you mean?
The 60's and 70's versions haven't aged particularly well.
The 80's version is quite good, but there Kitarou is more "fighting for justice"-tropey.
The 90's version is also quite good, he is a bit calmer there.
The 07's version is the best and most similar to this version now. He is more cynical and dry and it gets a tad darker sometimes.

Good question. I may check them all out eventually and see the differences for myself, it could be interesting to see how each version is.

Ep 3
Okay, still an introductory episode, but now that Kitarou and Mana are officially bff they will hopefully put more steam into the cases and conflicts.
But it was a good episode again, after last week's episode had a bit less quality. Animation is top again.

I wonder if this version will have an overarching plot or if this is just a mini arc with the man in black that appeared in the end of each episode. I think I know already who he is.

Ep. 2
Ratman will be the annoying one...
This is universally stupid.
jvyohcQ.jpg

Episode 3

I'm still loving it. I love seeing all the different yokai and the wall amuses me the most I think. Can't wait to see more. ^_^

Ep 4:
Damn, this episode is pretty.
I really have to look up who's the animation director for this episode. It was fantastic.

Also, this was cute af. They really captured the wild and mysterious forest of the youkai with the child like wonder of that boy. It reminded me of Princess Mononoke or something like that. The action in the second half of the episode was also dope.

Also, also: Once again a little dig on kids and social media. The boy asks if ratman is on "ootube" and when ratman says no the boy answers with "Then there is no way I know you."

Episodes 1-4

At first I wasn't watching this, because I though it was just some kids show, but turns out this is better than some "teen" and "adult" shows this season. (No Dragons And No Dancing, Ugly Vampires Edge and 1D Fake Girl, for example)

Ep 5:
Not bad. I like how they incorporate little horror/thriller elements like the journalist woman getting followed in the night and being absolutely terrified when she gets electrocuted to death.
Also showing that Ratman doesn't give a single fuck about what he has to do for money.

Episode 5

I need this cat, it's cute <3
31531529_10160239696070696_1202417588194246656_n.png

The fact that is changes into a giant beast cat changes nothing. <3
31939562_10160239720575696_500116274097946624_n.png

Though I do find it interesting that as a cat it appears to be a bob tail with folded ears but transformed it had both erect ears and a normal tail. Still cute though. I can cuddle it and then ride it into battle to scare off my enemies, and it fights bears!

This episode was so sad. The poor little cat had no idea he was a Yokai and killing the people he loved, how tragic.

I've only watched the first two episodes but I can't believe how endearing and entertaining this show is compared to nearly everything else this season. The characters are all pleasant, the humor is whimsical, it rides that fine-line between a children's show and something a bit darker. Logan Paul's inclusion in the first episode was a nice touch. The battery-based idols was hilariously weird.

The best thing I can say about an anime at this point in time is that it's "inoffensive". And this really is. It's a well-made children's series that even I find myself attached to despite not having the meat I like on my shows. Those avoiding it or wasting their time watching garbage would do well to check this out.

Also, can't get the theme out of my head.

Episode 6:
Hey guys, I'm not so sure anymore that this is a children's show:
This episode was a sharp and biting critique of Japanese work culture. Pointing out and showing the suicides of overworked and abused workers. Including the dripping wet bodies of a drowned guy and the mangled, bloody body of a jumper.
The souls of the dead have shoved the abusive boss in front of a train, in front of the eyes of a bully-girl that would fit right into Magical Edge Site. Resulting into the moral of the story:
If you collect too many grudges, your bullying victim may murder you by squishing you with a train.

Also, in the past installments this story was a simple warning that you shouldn't be a dick and the guy was let off with a warning that youkai are real. This time he's already dead and begs for his life to no avail while being shipped off directly to hell with no escape. I love it.

Episode 6

I forgot to comment on this last night apparently. This episode was amazing and was more of a light horror than it was a kids show. I loved it though, It tackled both the culture of people working themselves to death in Japan and bullying all at once. Just don't be a dick kids, it's not that hard.

I think this is my favorite episode of this so far, I hope they continue to make them just as good as this one was.

Episode 9

I. Love. Kappas. I've been jazzed for this episode since last week, lets do this.

XD The Kappas want in your butt. Give them your booty orb.
unknown.png

I love how their way of solving the problem of not getting paid enough is to take over by stealing everyone's shirikodama out of their butts. Kappa's don't play, they wanna eat cucumbers and swim around and they will get in your butt. Don't sass them.

Episode 10

This episode was a nice fun break from the very serious and creepy turn the last two episodes took. Not that I wasn't enjoying it but I kind of missed the fun lightheartedness we get with these less serious episodes. Poor Rat man and wally wall, but most of all poor Mana-chan, after what happened last episode I can imagine we was super creeped out by everything rat man was doing lol

Episode 11

Ratman is so fickle.

That thing that came out of that egg is UGLY!!!!
That being said it's CG but it's not really that bad, it kind of fits with how creepy it looks.

That was an interesting episode, a bit predictable so far but maybe the next one will surprise me.

Back