Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

Merged this thread into the existing Gankutsuou discussion thread... no point having two.

i agree on that one... not having two threads. how far back was this thing? must have been a ways as i didn't find it by scrounging through the threads. anyhow... read some of the postings... very cool. dunno why people have issues with the art... so they did something different? good for gonzo. what good is it to not push a genre? come on, it leads to greater variety, and better products.

Personally, I'm not fond of Gonzo, so I'm the anti-Gonzo whore. Still Gankutsuou is a show I greatly enjoyed. It's probably due to the great novel it's based on, and the scaling back on CGI. I've noticedthat they've been doing that in general, and I've been liking their recent shows. Have they finally learned that good anime is more than just pomp and flash? I hope so.

honestly, there isnt a single gonzo show i dislike, i've never really had a problem with their CG cos they do it better than everyone else, eg. kaleidostar, mahou tsukai tai, last exile, chrono chrusade, etc. the anime where the CG really stood out (and not necessarily in a good way) is like bakuten and samurai 7. other than that... they're just flat out awesome in my opinion.

I thought the CGI really stood out in Baku Ten, Vandread, Saikano(at least the cel shaded stuff), Last Exile, and Blue Sub 6. I'm just not fond of the look, as I find it ugly and distracting against traditional animation. BS6 really put them in the negative with me as it was simply a CGI fest if memory serves. They only did the CGI bell in MTT.

I've noticed that the more they restrain their CG, the better I like the show. THere just seems more focus on story when they do. I don't mind CGI when it's warrented, but Gonzo likes to use it for the hell of it.

Personally, I've seen other companies pull CGI off considerably better, while other worse.

well.. just seen episode 12... pretty impressed at this rate. really good series. lots of plot (of course), and its starting to get really grippy. thoroughly enjoying this series. can't wait till i can finish the series.

Oh, I'm in love with this wonder! I know, the animation is... Unusual, but that vengeance story is great. The Count is an amazing character and all the nobilty atmosphere makes me feel stunning.

I'm watching it but I've never read the book. I'm quite ashamed because I always try to get the plot from the original issue, especially when it involves books. Yet this time I'm not, because I already know the plot (thanks to tv and school) and because I'm not so fond of French literature.
Anyway I was indeed thinking of reading the book in the future, not only for the anime, but to fill the lack of French literature titles in my read-books-list.

I hope that those that really enjoy/ed this to read the book by Alexander Dumas.
Quite so.
Have not read it in years. Was almost required reading back in my school days.

I'm watching it but I've never read the book. I'm quite ashamed because I always try to get the plot from the original issue, especially when it involves books. Yet this time I'm not, because I already know the plot (thanks to tv and school) and because I'm not so fond of French literature.
Anyway I was indeed thinking of reading the book in the future, not only for the anime, but to fill the lack of French literature titles in my read-books-list.

Yep, be watching it soon. =D

FYI for those looking to buy this set R1. RightStuf has the Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo DVD Box Set for $26.99. That's cheap!

yeah, that is cheep, my old roommate had bought if for 59.99 from fry's electronics about a year ago.

Either way, so not much to say so far, except the visualization of the artwork is cool as hell, the way the images move within the pictures of the clothing and hair. also I liked the opening art, but for some reason, I wasn't to fond of the music. More thoughts below in spoiler.

I noticed it began during carnival, the festival in Rome, whereas in the book it didn't get to this part until halfway through the book. I wonder if they will do any flashbacks to show what happened before that led to the festival... I'm almost positive they will, otherwise it may not make much sense to those that haven't read the book, either that or someone will narrate explaining what happened in the past.

And it seems that Albert is the main character in the anime as opposed to the Count, I'm interested what point of view that the develop the plot with. I'm excited to see.

Also, it said at the beginning of my subbed version, at the end of the opening that some names have been changed, which I already noticed, but it said to read their forum for more details and character explanations, anyone check it out?

yeah, that is cheep, my old roommate had bought if for 59.99 from fry's electronics about a year ago.
Either way, so not much to say so far, except the visualization of the artwork is cool as hell, the way the images move within the pictures of the clothing and hair. also I liked the opening art, but for some reason, I wasn't to fond of the music. More thoughts below in spoiler.
I noticed it began during carnival, the festival in Rome, whereas in the book it didn't get to this part until halfway through the book. I wonder if they will do any flashbacks to show what happened before that led to the festival... I'm almost positive they will, otherwise it may not make much sense to those that haven't read the book, either that or someone will narrate explaining what happened in the past.

And it seems that Albert is the main character in the anime as opposed to the Count, I'm interested what point of view that the develop the plot with. I'm excited to see.
Also, it said at the beginning of my subbed version, at the end of the opening that some names have been changed, which I already noticed, but it said to read their forum for more details and character explanations, anyone check it out?
I feel like I am reading that book Pride and Predujice and Zombies.
But instead it is
The Count of Monte Cristo and Illicit Drugs and Vampires.

Well I have not read, nor watched The Count in so many years, that I could not comment on name changes. But I did think it was interesting that the mono log in episode 2 was in French.

I will say it is visually stunning, using that Phot-digi look for the colors of cloathing and hair.
To be honest, I am not sure the story needs a gimick however to sell it. So far it has been well paced, and is benifiting from a interesting adaption, a good dub, and an even better original voice soundtrack...
On that note, two English songs? Two? amazing. And it is written by some French sounding band. Also there was some French song played in the bar/club that Albert gets
taken in
I had actually heard these songs on a Gonzo compilation album that came out a couple years back. I did not know what show they came from. Now I do =)

ok... story
Yeah I am also wondering if we are going to get a synopsis of why he is Un-dead. I agree, odd that it is taking place in the middle, and your right; that the Count seems to not the the Main character, but more the catalyst character. His buddy has a lot of screen time too.

you are watching it dubbed? I decided to watch it subbed... so I'm not sure how the voices are done in english, but I'll go back and watch episode 2 again tonight in english just to get a better perspective...

I would agree that it doesn't need a gimmick since the story seems pretty well paced, but it is pleasing to see what they did with it, though I am finding it hard to accustom myself to the
outer space setting, I have seen many anime's in outer space, its just weird since I have read the book 3 times (twice was the abridged version) and I find myself comparing it

Now that I know what it's about though, and how they are playing it off of the original I can say honestly that this is something that must be viewed as a work of art in of itself.

Don't worry though, It'll be a piece of cake to appreciate it for what it is, and not on what it's based off of after the first two episodes. It's just the initial comparison that can be difficult for me.

Has anyone else ever had that problem when watching something based on a book or manga, or am I just random?

xtra: YESSSSS, actually i'll be watching it all in english, I finally got my big sis to watch anime with me... just cause i told her it was count of monte cristo remake... lol, she used to hate it... another addition to anime, score for me

Last edited:
If you think and get the feeling Albert is the main character in the show, it is because he is. This adaptation is told from Albert's perspective.

Personally I let the changes from the the book to this adaptation fly since they do such a great job on everything. I questioned the ending at first but after thinking about it a bit after finishing it I thought that it fit the adaption.

Even with it having space travel, cars, and all the other technological advancements, then with the name changes, event's that take place differently and an ending that is something else, I never thought that an anime version of my favorite book would be so good.

And if you want to know just how bad it can be gotten wrong, take a look (or just take my word, that would be in your better interest) at Disney's adaptation of "The Count of Monte Cristo." It looks the part, the characters play the part (not that well though) and it even feels a bit like it. In the end though Disney just had to give it it's typical, thoughtless, lack of imagination, cliche every-body-lives-happily-ever-after ending.

Stingreis,
Dont get me wrong the visual style is fly off the handle cool. I was just saying it was already a hell of a title. This will just add to the killer vibe. I might be wrong anyhow, by doing this style it tells us that the source material is going to be different from the start.

I watched the first two episodes both ways. Sounds like Johnny Bosh doing Albert, and I read that Tony Oliver is the voice director for the dub. So I might end up watching it as such, just for us to have a couple of different perspectives. =)

CMC
Well, I am kinda glad you wrote that. I am going to just take the story as it is then. And not keep thinking, it does not match up. (this is what I did with Samurai 7 and I enjoyed it a bit more)
lol I remember that Disney one.
I also remember a Mini series with Richard Chamberland where everyone's outfits were so clean, they must have had washing machines and Clorox with Color Guard.

Last edited:
lol, I don't remember the disney version but I can picture it none the less... Oh and I didn't mean anything by that funkgun, actually I was agreeing with you mostly... so yeah, i am seeing a killer vibe from it as well.

I will end up watching it dubbed now, but I'm sure I'll go back and watch it subbed eventually. Like you said perspective. I really haven't kept up with voice directors and such, but I might start to after Anime Weekend Atlanta, and meeting two of the voice actors from Full Metal Panic, dont remember their names, but one likes whiskey, and the other wine though, lol. Plus I have more motivation to be in tune with the back end of anime now that I am part of A-P.

CMC, yeah as far as the changes go i've kinda decided to let them fly, I just didn't know what I should be looking forward to when I first started watching it, but now I think I can take it as it is.

Oh and by the way Funkgun, I am actually getting a friend to join the site/forum and he's gonna catch up and discuss it with us, so we can get another perspective...

I finished episode 4, story seems to be moving forward pretty well. I'm not gonna go into detail just yet, I'll wait for you to get a moment (Funkgun) and we can discuss the good stuff together, i guess it would be ep's 3-6 all at once. Hopefully my buddy will be able to catch up by then. - see ya later

Last edited:
lol I was in for a bit this afternoon, but went out tonight. I got back and got in the shows just before 11:15 =D

Ep3 - Ep 4
Finally meet new cast. The flamboyant snobby aristocrat, the women who are picked out for Fraz and Albert. The photo guy, with the enormous old looking digital camera. The BIG guy who can lift a car, the non stop talking guy with the sports car.
Now I say guys or gals cause all I can remember for names was the big guy Maximillian. Eugene the betrothed to Albert and Valentine the one meant for Fraz, but looks to already like Max. (someone get me a road map!) =D
But all in all they did a nice job placing in the new cast of friends.

In the next ep we meet the people the Count no doubt
is getting revenge on. and that would be Mercedies, and the buddy who took her
Peppo is rather annoying. I guess she really might be in love with Albert, or is toying with him?

Design and style corner.
Those no-spoke cars were pretty cool. Someone must have read a later Popular Mechanics. The issue with wheels that more or less float on a magnetic counter polarity.
WOW did you look at some of the carpet and rug designs on the floor??? I so love it.

Project Runway corner
The outfits! Yes the outfits, once again are very detailed and amazing patterns. I think Franz already wore the one with the detailed black pattern over purple. Whilst Albert went with a zig zag pattern this episode. But nothing beats the statue grey green that the big Maxamillion wore. ;)
Actually the Count's outfit was pretty smooth, with the red cuffs and flames over black jacket.

Sound Corner
Great balls of fire!! The count has a bad ass voice in either the Japanese OR the English. It is DEEP and vibrant. I may be a guy with a girfriend, but if I were to swing the other way, he would be at the top of the list. =O
Actually in the dub Eugene is the same voice as Rukia in Bleach, just like Albert is the same voice of Ichigo. For a second if you closed your eyes you could almost think it was those two bickering.

Music Corner
Some famous musiccal compititions are raring up here. good stuff. Right when the count finally meets Albert's Mother and dad.

Next Day:
well, i guess no one else has had a minute to discuss this today, which is cool cause ive been busy as hell.

Oh and by the way Funkgun, I am actually getting a friend to join the site/forum and he's gonna catch up and discuss it with us, so we can get another perspective...

I finished episode 4, story seems to be moving forward pretty well. I'm not gonna go into detail just yet, I'll wait for you to get a moment (Funkgun) and we can discuss the good stuff together, i guess it would be ep's 3-6 all at once. Hopefully my buddy will be able to catch up by then. - see ya later
Dude the more the merrier. =)
So your going Dub too? Well after all these years I am not with the anime-too-cool-crowd, so a dub is good I will watch it. If it is not I go subbed.
This one seems to have a good dub.

Back