Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by runpsicat, Oct 4, 2004.

1. runpsicat

runpsicat Forum Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2008
  2. tardo

tardo Guest

Posted by tardo on Oct 4, 2004
    i seem to see a trend going.. kousetsu hyaku monogatari... mousou dairinin... now this...

3. MercurialMorpheus

MercurialMorpheus New Member

Wow, a Gonzo production with well-utilized CGI? It's based of The Count of Monte Cristo too. I'm going to have to check this out. When does it air?

4. runpsicat

tardo: Aw come on, don't enough groups like doing the light, fairly straightforward anime with fanservice? ^_~

Mercurial Morpheus: Episode 1 will air on October 5th (JST) ^_^

5. lamer_de

lamer_de New Member

yay for another bastardized classic historical story ;)
    Looks like the creators were on LSD 90% of all the time, judging from the colours.

CU,
    lamer_de

6. runpsicat

Pfft, nearly all recent works of fiction in any genre draw from and "bastardize" previous works, so it's all about semantics (where does the Gundam franchise fit in, I wonder?). =P

I can understand how some may take offense, but personally, I'm going to take the show based on what it is, not how it compares to its original. ^^

7. MercurialMorpheus

Thanks. Now I have this, and Gunbuster 2 to look forward to, starting tomorrow.

8. lamer_de

lamer_de New Member

See, that's exactly my problem. If GONZO would've said: Hey, we're making a sci-fi anime with funky colours and kick-ass mechas in a futuristic France, it'd been all cool with me. But instead, they say: Look, we made The Count Of Monte Christo into an anime. Please watch it.
    And that just bugs me. Because when I hear Monte Christo (or 7 Samurai, for that matter), you automatically have an image in your head if you watched prior movies/read the book (which probably everybody has). So they built up a certain expectation. And then they come "boom", the anime has no connection to the original besides the most basic plot. And that just false labelling.

When I hear about a series called Gundam something, I think I can expect Gundam in it and not a medieval tale where some Knights that are called Kagari and <some other random Gundam character, I never watched any of the Gundam franchise> battle themselves with maces :P

CU,
    lamer_de

9. runpsicat

But, wouldn't they get slammed for plagirizing if they don't at least say it's based on the original work? Maybe they should've picked another title, though that didn't exactly help Disney when it came to "Lion King"... ^_^

10. lamer_de

lamer_de New Member

IMHO not. As the series hasn't aired yet, it's of course all speculating but I guess all it'll have to do with TCOMC is that the main character is a wealthy guy that gets booted by somebody else and then makes a comeback. That is about as much plagiarism as Naruto plagirizies DBZ or HxH in my book.

CU,
    lamer_de

11. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Posted by sothis on Oct 4, 2004
    i really like the story in general, so i'm hoping this turns out well :)

12. runpsicat

I can see lamer_de's point if the series ends up having only nominal ties to the original work, so I'll have to wait it out till about episode 15 before I feel comfortable enough to argue further (or not). ^_~

Meanwhile... uhh, yeah, I hope other people will join in on the discussion.

Any thoughts on the rather unconventional artwork? ^_^

13. Chrono

Chrono Guest

Posted by Chrono on Oct 4, 2004
    I don't like the art so far. I guess I'll have to wait and see how it works.

For a second I thought I was watching an anime promo about the nobles from Wolf's Rain... :p

14. MercurialMorpheus

Personally, the art is part of the draw. It actually looks like they're trying to put cgi to use, and not just have it because they can. I really like the use of color and texture in the trailer. Hopefully they wont muck it up with badly done mecha scenes, or poor plotting.

15. Aydan

Aydan New Member

Posted by Aydan on Oct 12, 2004
    wow, I have never heard of The Count Of Monte Christo before, but I know that I'm really going to like this one. What can I say I love puppets their puppeteers.

Episode 1.
    [spoiler:e10622e66f]
    "It's a game, isn't it, Count?"
    Yes it is naive little boy, it's a game where you can play god and give someone life. But the life you could not give to those 2 will become your torment. So, play this game and shoulder this burden, as you will now be stripped of your innocence and hopefully not remain a naive little boy.

Lesson 1: accept responsibility for your actions and you will not regret them. This is a lesson for Albert and the two guys that where executed.
    [/spoiler:e10622e66f]
    I live for this stuff. :sweat:

16. Kerghan

Kerghan New Member

does this show have anything to do with the book?

17. runpsicat

It's based on the book. Basically, GONZO adapted the book to a sci-fi/futuristic setting. There already have been and will be changes to the plot. ^^

18. poettree

poettree Guest

there arent really any changes in the plot, if you think about it, they just started the storyline from a later stage of the book, during carnivale... I wont put any spoilers, but if you've read the book you know what I speak of. I have a feeling they will just run from here and add background through flashback. the only real difference is the fact its in a futuristic setting.

19. Kerghan

Kerghan New Member

thats sounds hella kick ass. i have to get this now, since the book r0x0red =)

20. Aydan

Aydan New Member

Posted by Aydan on Oct 13, 2004
    :...: I need to get the book :...: