Gaming Discussion Thread

Outlaws, the 1997 Lucasarts western, it's surprisingly good, great or even excellent. Spot-on visual style cutscenes that still look good today, some solid level design and controls, going western and having a button dedicated to fanning the hammer. A nice tale of revenge, with some great voicework for the main. This was on the first run of my GOG splurging and it was definitely worth the pennies on the dollar for. Feels satisfying running around and gunning people down like a maverick.

I know there's a new elder scrolls game coming, but... since Bethesda had become such a fucking shitshow, and they refuse to make a new engine for the new game, I think they'll just fuck up.

And it makes me sad. Yes there's plenty to criticize Skyrim for, but despite the open world game craze this decade I have yet to see many games that have come even close to feeling so much like home.
Traversing the wilds at night like that? That atmosphere and sense of wonder? Will the next game have anything close to that?

If you like side scrolling beat em ups, try River City Girls, it's fun as all hell.
Tried this out with a friend and I agree, we had plenty of fun and I can't wait to make time to play it on my own.

Also, Kyoko has a shockwave dab attack. That was... quite something.

Grabbed Dragon Quest XI, Steins;Gate Elite and Shadow Tactics for cheap at a store today. Guess my weekend is saved.

YT threw Dishonored sountrack at me, and now I want to play Dishonored. Now, of all times, that I have 3 exams in two weeks to prepare for. Well, fuck you too, YT. I could finally finish the first one sometimes, though. It's been over a year since I tried.

I'm trying out the new GOG Galaxy 2.0, which is nice, because now I can look at an even bigger backlog that I won't make a dent in! Also, it should in theory stop me from buying the same game on different store fronts, and make it easier to launch games.

Finally a game on Steam that looks worth playing.
Is that the totes realistic Jesus simulator in which you fight Satan? Seems incredibly scripturally accurate.

Minecraft got a console update from the looks of it. I loaded up the game and did a quick little run through, it looks and feels a lot smoother than before, and now there are bees. Can you beelieve it? So I'll probably make a new world sometime soon, still gotta finish working through the Witcher 3 too. Have been putting it off a bit in lieu of anime lately.

Just bought Ys 8 + Dark Souls Remastered + Valkyria chronicles 4 for €80 because there was a sale in a local shop and I have no self-restraint... I mean, I still had like 4 other games to play on switch for potentially easily 100 hours....

Kodaka announced a new game and is going............the live action route?

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...e-true-full-motion-video-game-project/.154140

What da goddamn fuq Kodaka? I can't imagine this being good at all.......I'm just confused over this decision.
Oh no... did he go into a 90s time warp??? To be fair FMV games can be done well (Gabriel Knight 2 is a great example even though it's heavily compressed video quality hasn't aged well at all) but this is going to be a huge crapshoot.

Shadow Tactics gets everything right about classic real-time tactics games like Commandos right down to the frustrating bits that come with them like constant trial and error and unfairly placed enemies everywhere. I love setting up strategies and executing them flawlessy but I tend to get annoyed when the game throws a wrench in my plans too often and I have to abandon my approach completely. The game itself looks gorgeous and the characters are engaging and fun to play even though half of them are ninjas. Thought the controls would be a nightmare on PS4 but far from it. There might be hope for the Commandos 2 HD remaster now.

I'm also falling hard for Dragon Quest XI at the moment. Man, this game is such a blast to play and I probably haven't even scratched the surface yet. My party was completed yesterday and I'm out on the open sea right now. Story is typical JRPG fare but it doesn't matter with how charming and colourful everything looks and the fluid animation is great because I hate framerate hiccups and all that.

Had to abandon my replay of the Arkham games on PS4. The graphical overhaul and move from U3 to U4 engine did NOT do these games well. Faces look weird and the lighting's all wrong, way too bright... also, City suffers from framerate drops which is ridiculous for a last gen remaster. Not amused.

Last edited:
Demo for the upcoming System Shock remake is live on steam for today and tomorrow or so.
Had to abandon my replay of the Arkham games on PS4. The graphical overhaul and move from U3 to U4 engine did NOT do these games well. Faces look weird and the lighting's all wrong, way too bright... also, City suffers from framerate drops which is ridiculous for a last gen remaster. Not amused.
Oh yuck, that sounds bad. Thank fuck I still have my PC copies of the first two.

Demo for the upcoming System Shock remake is live on steam for today and tomorrow or so.

Oh yuck, that sounds bad. Thank fuck I still have my PC copies of the first two.

Yeah, same with my PS3 copies. The remasters are a half-assed cash grab and the patches didn't help much. Asylum is playable now but looks like ass thanks to the off lighting. Heck, they even managed to take most facial expressions away and Batman looks like he's pouting the whole time. City still has constant framedrops while gliding and I guess they didn't even really bother fixing it.

Played as much as I can take of the System Shock demo. They can at least justify the state of certain things by saying that there's a lot of placeholders and this is a pre-alpha but there is a LOT they need to fix/adjust and considering the "early 2020" release date I'm concerned. Optimization is godawful with little to no graphics settings whatsoever (the only two options being for shadows and particles which were set to low by default and the game was maxing out my admittedly old CPU, but there was nothing I could do about it due to lack of graphics options, upon looking at it again I saw that there was a texture quality option but it's a slider that goes from 0.0 to 1.0. I've never seen a texture quality option like this in my life), even the 3D models look pixelated as all hell including the mutant skin texture if one looks close enough. Cyberspace is straight up not implemented with the one cyberspace terminal being non-functional unless I'm missing something (should be able to use it right off the bat making me think that they don't have this finished yet). Worst of all the map system here is fucking terrible, the minimap is the same as the original which is fine but where is the fullscreen option? If they're going to have the levels be identical to the original (which going by this demo, it's almost the exact same layouts) there NEEDS to be a fullscreen map or people will get lost. Maybe I missed something but there was no obvious indication in the demo.

As for positives there's a really good atmosphere here and they've done a good job trying to be faithful to the original game, and it's not nearly as clunky as the original was. Though with a release date of "early 2020" which is only a few months away technically I'm honestly shocked at the state of this demo no pun intended. This needs a delay or two or it could be a really disappointing disaster. Would be a massive shame if it was cause I feel there could be something really great here if they iron out the issues a bit.

Last edited:
HELLBLADE 2!

I know it won't be coming to PS4 due to Ninja Theory being bought by Microsoft but I'll be happy if it comes to PC which it should due to Microsoft always going for both Xbox and PC versions of their recent stuff.

Back