Gaming Discussion Thread

Surprise trailer for Bonelab came out today and it's coming out next week! Holy shit!

Glad I have a PCVR game to look forward to. Feels like outside of mods for standard games a lot of stuff is coming to PSVR2/Quest 2 only and I have neither. I get it cause those platforms are going to sell better VR-wise but still.

Just got back from my monthly trip to the arcade and holy shit the Gauntlet machine is singlehandedly the most addictive addition they've ever made. Couldn't stop going back to it! Now I'm gonna have to look up some strategies to last longer solo cause I kinda suck. Got up to as far as level 7 but I'd usually die at around 5 or 6... due to it being set to free play you can't just randomly add health either so it really ramps up the challenge level.

Edit: After thinking a bit I just realized a VERY cheap trick I can use. I can keep playing till almost dead, then switch to another character on a different joystick to keep playing indefinitely. It wouldn't do any favors for score at all but it would mean I can keep going through god knows how many levels without having to restart them after death. I also found out some versions of the game are downright rigged with a very insidious method:
Final Revision of Gauntlet, and Gauntlet 2, fixed this, so that even the best players would
die after awhile (usually after about an hour).....which affected 99% of the players.
There were a FEW....a very VERY few, who even knew a way around this, as Atari did something
pretty stupid, using score checking (16,384 points per...) to keep track of how much food a
player should be given....if the score (divided by # of coins, divided by # of players) went
higher, less food would appear on a level.
80s arcade game designers sure were sadistic. Or perhaps I can attempt to use all four controls at once to really manipulate the way the game tracks this stuff...

Last edited:
Oh yeah. Switching to melia being the party leader in Xenoblade was the best decision i ever made. Not only do I get a break from the repetition of always playing shulk, but Melia is actually amazing, she's like defect from slay the spire, but in an actual RPG. Every time she gets a new art it's amazing, unlike the other characters where its really neither here nor there. Synergies is what it's all about. I love that fight loop with generating orbs and casting them.

I'm having an even better time now, even though chapter 8 and the sea area is the worst part of the game to me so far. Awful navigation, shitty story, bunch of dumb characters being introduced, and really lame fights and mechanics. I hate teleporting around on dumb floating islands. But this has been the only part of the game I haven't liked.

Went on to Life is Strange True Colours, I had to re-do Chapter 1, 2 and 4, cos there things I miss and feel I should re play again. Also re-do on scene in Chapter 3 where yo get anger out of someone and into you but it bad idea. (You may understand if you play Life Is Strange True Colours) , had good ending, I pick one person to romance with but feel bad for other one, even when pick to go places at the end. Also played special extra Wavelengths but foosball was annoying I give up the third foosball, it stress me out (You have to play Life is Strange True Colour to know wha I on about). I have mix feeling about Life is Strange.

Noe finished with three Chapters of Life of Strange Before the Storm Remastered & on to Farewell Chapter & next Life is Strange Remastered, maybe playing Life is Strange 2, like Inventory items & souvenirs. I like Max and little things like Hawt Dog Man & Arcadia Bay lighthouse.

Days ago I told myself I'd play Hades in tandem with other stuff, but sure enough my "one thing at a time" brain won out and now all my playtime looks like this:

dH0OzIK.jpg

60th escape attempt or so. Reached final boss for the first time on the 17th, won my first run on the 32nd, have mostly been winning every run since with some exceptions. Game's addicting as hell.

After finishing Xenoblade 2 I started thinking about other stuff I might be able to push myself through since there's quite a few games that I never got far in for one reason or another. One game that's always been on the back of my mind for the past couple of years now is Trails in the Sky. I bought it a few years ago for one hell of a steal (10 bucks to be specific), but when I played it I quickly got frustrated with it's extremely slow pace and ragequit after about an hour and a half.

Both before and after my ragequit I've always loved listening to @AdmiralMuffin talk about the games and he's shown me all sorts of cool stuff from them, every time I see something cool from it I'm like "damn, I wish I could get into these games" so it's always been on the back of my mind as I said, after all the game is permanently in my Steam library so whenever I'd be ready to take another crack at it, it'd be there. A few other things that really pushed me to really give it another attempt were both finishing Ys 8 (which is IMO the best story Falcom has ever done and like Trails it can be a bit of a slow burn) and a particularly great video Muffin showed me that talked about Renne's character arc. Combine that with my recent game slump and I randomly decided today would be the day I take another crack at this.

My first impression after trying to get back into this is that this game could seriously use a remake. 2000s-era Falcom games really do not have a nice interface and this is probably my least favorite Falcom UI by far. My main issue is with the orbments and determining what they do. You need to look it up by flipping through your Bracer Handbook since just hovering over the thing in the orbment menu doesn't tell you everything. From the looks of things the abilities you get are seemingly determined by the amount of each orbment color you have equipped... I think. It tries to be something like Final Fantasy 7's materia system but this feels a bit more clumsy to use. If there's one thing I know about Falcom games it's that it often takes them a bit to really refine something when they do try something new so I'm sure it's better in later games, but it's really frustrating to have to constantly go into the handbook to figure out exactly what you're getting. Why can't it just tell me when I hover over the thing like in Final Fantasy 7 (unless I'm looking at something wrong)? It doesn't help that the tabs are labeled things like "Magic 1" "Magic 2" Magic 3" and such. I also wish Falcom didn't have an obsession with automatically moving your cursor around everywhere in every menu. This isn't just a Trails thing, I've had to deal with this bizarre quirk in the various Ys games I've played but good lord it's irritating.

Combat is decent, I don't particularly love the combat here but there's parts of it that I think is good to have. Having a visible turn order is especially good, it helps give you a good visual of what goes on in a turn based system and once you start to really master combat it's an indispensable tool to really just hammer your enemies. I've always loved that idea since I played Final Fantasy 10 (which to this day is my favorite FF combat system) and it's great to see something similar here too. At least in these early parts of the game, combat is a little slow but you have a turbo button which can speed things up at any point in the game so you can zip through easier encounters really fast (it's also good for when you're backtracking through an already explored area but I try to use it only in combat, otherwise it's way too easy to miss things). S-Craft attacks are pretty nice too, you get a cool little animation and you can use these to wail on multiple enemies at once if you want. For example you can smack something with a normal attack, then hit your S-Craft button before the turn finishes then unleash that on another enemy. Use that at the right time and boom, two enemies dead in one shot! Pretty neat.

I don't really have much to say about the story right now cause it's a very slow burn. The story and characters come across as very average at the moment, but since this is the first game in a long running series known for story and character development I know it won't be like that forever provided I can push through. I refuse to just skip games cause for something like this it's going to ultimately be detrimental to the overall experience and if I do manage to push through, maybe my opinion of this game will retroactively improve as I play the rest of the games which almost exactly mirrors part of how I felt after finishing Xenoblade 2. And you know what, if I could get through Xenoblade 2 with all it's bizarre mechanics and frustrating elements I think there's a chance I'll be able to pull off finishing Trails. Unfortunately I can't just cheese certain sections by setting the game to an easier difficulty (lowest one this game has is Normal), but I got this! I think!

On another note, I noticed some somewhat neat details while I was playing. I probably won't go out of my way to find every single piece of worldbuilding/detail the game has but I did find two kinda cool things:

First thing I noticed was that every treasure chest in the game has a neat little message if you check it again after you open it. First time I noticed it I was like "oh hey that's actually kinda neat" cause I can't think of any other game that's done that. Second thing I noticed was actually a bit unsettling. You know how S-Craft attacks have the little cut-ins with the character's faces on them? Estelle's looks like she's gonna absolutely fuck shit up, which is the kind of thing you'd usually see in other games that have these kinds of cut-ins (like the ones in the Tales series). Joshua's on the other hand? His eyes have the "I've been through seriously fucked up shit" blank look in them and I found the contrast between the two cut-ins to be seriously eerie.

I don't want to come across as potentially too negative but the main takeaway here is this attempt seems to be going better than the first one and despite my complaints I'm finding some enjoyment. If Xenoblade 2 could grow on me a bit after a while maybe this can too. And if it does, it's perfect timing because the Crossbell arc games are almost available officially in English.

I don't want to come across as potentially too negative but the main takeaway here is this attempt seems to be going better than the first one and despite my complaints I'm finding some enjoyment. If Xenoblade 2 could grow on me a bit after a while maybe this can too. And if it does, it's perfect timing because the Crossbell arc games are almost available officially in English.
Oh shit. All that months of gaslighting and brain-washing convincing is actually paying off. Like I said before, don't hold your punches on my account. Rip through the game all you want. Disect every detail and most important of all - pace yourself. This is a very overwhelming series at first but once it clicks it's quite the experience. It's very, very text heavy so at times you gotta go in with a VN mindset. That said, enjoy and I hope it goes well this time.

Played a bit more Trails before stopping for tonight, finished the 7-ish hour long prologue and I'm finally on chapter 1. Before I left the first town I decided to grab the latest issue of Liberl News before moving on and I can't stop thinking about this one paragraph from it:
Was it a conspiracy perpetrated by the Royal Army and the covert mercenary force comprised of jaegers? Perhaps it was a plot to kidnap the passengers, and hold them for ransom? Some have even suggested the Linde came under attack by the last living ancient dragon!
Jaegers? Last living ancient dragon? Something tells me I'm going to be seeing at least one of these as part of a future plot development. If one of these is being saved for a future game it just might wind up blowing my mind.

Also Schera may very well be my favorite character so far, I mean LOOK AT THIS:
unknown.png

unknown.png
Also I just realized I should talk about the music a bit since this is a Falcom game. It's not a bad soundtrack, but it's not as "exciting" as other Falcom soundtracks I've heard over the years. With that said it does fit the slower vibe this game has.

Oh shit. All that months of gaslighting and brain-washing convincing is actually paying off. Like I said before, don't hold your punches on my account. Rip through the game all you want. Disect every detail and most important of all - pace yourself. This is a very overwhelming series at first but once it clicks it's quite the experience. It's very, very text heavy so at times you gotta go in with a VN mindset. That said, enjoy and I hope it goes well this time.
Safe to say it's going much better so far! My main issues really are a bunch of janky gameplay stuff that I hope gets ironed out... like how I had enough of every sepith type to open another orbment slot, except for the red ones which most of the enemies refused to drop >_<

As far as pacing myself goes I certainly won't be playing every single game back to back, I'll probably wait for sales in between games so I get to take a bit of a break between each one. Or if I get too impatient to wait for a sale I'll just grab whichever game is up next at the time after taking a break. I actually found out recently that I don't do too bad with text heavy stuff as long as I let the text scroll through instead of clicking to make all the text pop up and then reading it. The text has to be at a moderately decent speed of course but Trails has a pretty solid default speed.

Also I just realized I should talk about the music a bit since this is a Falcom game. It's not a bad soundtrack, but it's not as "exciting" as other Falcom soundtracks I've heard over the years. With that said it does fit the slower vibe this game has.
Pretty much yeah. FC's OST is pretty chill and jazzy with few faster-paced tracks sprinkled here and there. The epic orchestral and rock stuff are on the second and third game.

Got the Nioh Collection and Control for PS5 and been going through those again. The Niohs are pretty much the same except for more stable framerate and a tad better resolution, Control though... holy shit, this is insane. Absolutely amazing stuff for someone who played through it on base PS4.

It's so surreal seeing Trails from Zero finally released officially in English. I never thought the duology would ever get picked up and would forever remain unlocalized but here we are. The "Crossbell Problem" has been finally dealt with, even if it took a decade.

I just need to finish Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and then we can finally Get Over the Barrier.

Still working my way through Chapter 1 of Trails in the Sky. It's still going okay but I'm getting increasingly frustrated with the orbment system. I understand how it works a bit better but it still feels really clumsy and unintuitive. Basically every quartz has in addition to it's basic type (which determines which slot you can install it in) there's also "elements" and you need to have enough element points in various combos to actually enable the various spells. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen but these element points don't feel like they match up with whatever quartz you happen to install.

Basically you need to dig through the bracer handbook to see which abilities you need then you have to scroll through your quartz collection to see what you can actually set up. Oh, and the element points need to all add up on one line in order for it to work. At least so far most characters have two lines (yellow and blue), and point totals are separate for each line other than whatever you put in slots that happen to be connected to both lines (which right now is only one slot in the center, but the points in those slots are shared between both lines).

Also you can't just stack quartz either since the game won't let you equip two of the exact same quartz on a character. The worst part of this is that means I'm stuck with the most basic heal spell (and other similarly basic spells) when the game is starting to throw harder stuff at me that something like an AoE attack would help greatly with. I know there's also food options but I keep having to juggle saving up money for better gear, trying to save sepith for quartz purchases/unlocking new orbment slots, and constantly forgetting that I need to actually eat food for the recipes to be added to the menu. All of this is making me wish there was an easy mode to offset the bizarre jankiness I keep running into, but at least the game does have a "retry offset" feature that makes things easier if you die too many times. That's going to wind up being useful I think.

With that said I'm still having fun with this, it helps that the character interactions are fun. In a slow game like this you need a good cast to balance things out a bit and the further I get the more the cast grows on me. Also wound up stumbling on a hidden quest too! Kinda neat that they hid these in the game in spots but I feel like there's a good chance I'll miss a good chunk of them so I won't worry too much.

Also pretty perfect timing for there to be a Falcom sale on GOG. I'll probably use this to grab SC and a few other games.

Last edited:
Made more progress in Trails today. Currently I'm in Chapter 2, it's still a very slow burn but weirdly the slowly developing mystery surrounding the plot is keeping me hooked. I was convinced the game wouldn't hook me till much later!
Things definitely feel like they're going to pick up more in this chapter too since someone/something set the orphanage on fire. Haven't investigated it yet since I got side stuff to do!
I was doing some research last night and I learned about a trick to get infinite money. You buy 99 of each of the ingredience to make an Apple Ice Cream, then make 99 of those then sell it. Makes you a small profit every time. Not a particularly fast method to make money but considering how high some of the prices keep getting for things I'll take what I can get. Also slowly managing to get more quartz and now I think I understand how things progress in that regard. You grab the new stuff, play around a bit and hope you have some good abilities to tackle what's ahead of you. Hopefully winging it won't be so bad.

I also really wish the game marked hidden quests more obviously or gave you a clear warning before hitting one of the several points of no return. I can't turn in the Black Notebook I found now because I wound up forgetting about it and progressing to Ruan, and I can't go back >_<

Also picked up Bonelab today, it's the followup to Boneworks. So far it's been cool but also an extremely frustrating experience. For some ungodly reason even starting the campaign is an ordeal and a half, you go through a fairly linear opening level, then you're dumped into what's basically the main menu where you have six different game modes to choose from with no apparent campaign selection. I found out that what you have to do is this: Do something in each of the six modes (can be anything, you just have to enter the mode) to cause a "power orb" or whatever it's called to show up on top of the little buildings, then use the crane the move all six orbs on top of the pipe plugs. Once you do that you can open the airlock, then you have to find the hole in the wall (took me a while to actually find the thing), progress until you reach a giant pool, go into the building there and realize you have to pull the equally big drain with the giant hook on the ceiling, then go down the drain. The game doesn't make it clear that you're supposed to do this at all and it's leading to tons of confusion online. I've seen people claim that there's no campaign at all and that the game is just a mini-game collection, and people who've been using what's obviously a bug to access the levels.

This needs to be patched immediately so people have a more clear idea of what to do. I get that they probably wanted people to engage with the other modes before accessing the campaign, but this is leading to a lot of misinformation and confusion. It doesn't help that the next objective the game gives you on that display screen in the middle of the Lab area tells you to "complete 3 core modules" without even telling you what a core module is, but what you have to do is actually seemingly entirely different (having to go through the hole in the airlock) Boneworks just let you start it's campaign right away and had an obvious way to progress, why the hell couldn't this be the same way? Apart from that, the game itself is fun. It's definitely an experience trying to get past janky VR physics puzzles. Combat sections feel a bit better too since now there's more enemies that shoot at you compared to the previous game. Weirdly you have to use both the trigger and grip buttons to grab things now, I could have swore you only had to use the grip button in Boneworks. I'm not at all surprised at the mixed opinions I'm seeing but I do have to wonder if people are remembering what Boneworks is like, that game also had it's share of janky stuff but at least it's campaign wasn't hidden.

Slowly working my way through Chapter 2 of Trails in the Sky. After doing a bunch of sidequests I did the really lengthy celebration at the Royal Academy. It was actually really neat how you could help people out before the celebration starts and there was also some neat interactive stuff like this "relationship tester" thing that you can play around with. The play at the end was neat too. I'm actually really impressed with how lengthy it was. Also I love this line of dialogue:
unknown.png
I'm also getting increasingly curious about these towers in each of the regions.
With how similar they are in structure and the fact that they all have a similar sort of "device" on the roof, part of me wonders how these link together. I'm thinking maybe it's an ancient weapons system, though there's not much of an exact indication yet.
Speaking of regions, the more I progress the more I'm liking the world design. Specifically you can track how much of your journey you have left just by looking at the map since you have to go to each region to become a senior Bracer and it's laid out in a nice circular fashion. Maybe by the end of it you wind up in Rolent again this time as a senior Bracer but knowing how big this series is... I'm convinced that's what the game wants you to think before the rug is pulled out from under you.

Gameplay-wise I'm doing pretty okay. Kloe has a nice layout of heal spells right out of the box not to mention I noticed something else while I was playing. I complain a lot about the orbment system and I'm still going to say it's janky but looking at Kloe's setup gave me a realization that the game is actually using this to show me what a somewhat optimized Quartz setup looks like. Plus when party members leave at the end of a chapter you get all their stuff, so you can use what used to be their Quartz to come up with your own setup. That's actually kind of a neat way of helping to show how things work. That and I also have access to a decent AoE spell, which helps a ton with certain fights. I will say though, I hope there won't be as many points of no return in future games. I'm fine with the quests having to be done by a certain point but it's really annoying that you can't even go back to regions you've previously visited.

Back