Gaming Discussion Thread

Been wanting to get back into Witcher 3, but since I'm seeing articles saying that the next gen patch is coming out in the second half of this year and that's really not that far away I figured I'd wait for the patch and (most likely) start the game over since I really don't remember what was going on in the quests I still have to do. That'll screw me up when it's time to actually make the choices in the quests. Decided to see if I can get into Witcher 2 since I wanted to learn a bit of context behind some of the stuff in Witcher 3 and this is one of those games I'm probably going to have to do research on and such before I seriously dive into it. It's not a bad game by any means but a few things about the game are clumsy and not really explained. The combat is fine but it's a little bit clunkier and definitely takes a lot more skill and understanding of the various abilities available, I found that I definitely have to use more than just Quen spam especially when fighting multiple opponents. My biggest issue though is that after the prologue, you have no silver sword for some reason. How am I supposed to do witcher contracts without a silver sword??? Thankfully you quickly get a diagram to craft one but getting silver ore is a pain in the ass. Didn't have enough money to outright buy a silver sword or silver ore so apparently I need to loot the random houses in the town to get the ore. I'll try this again when I have the patience for it. On the more positive side the visuals are absolutely stunning for a game of it's age. It definitely doesn't look like something that released in 2011! Not a bad game by any means (definitely one of those games I can say was great for it's time) but it has a learning curve to it.

...on another note I've noticed my last couple posts in here have been more negative-ish leaning. Probably caused by the nasty game slump I've been in lately. Been struggling to get into anything including stuff I like. As far as other "new" stuff goes that I haven't really played before I've been playing the original version of Resident Evil 2 on my Dreamcast and the frustrating parts (not a whole lot so far but some) are making me more frustrated than usual. Going to at least try to finish up Leon A since I'm close to the Lab section now. Hopefully I don't miss anything important as far as weapons but I'm sure I'll be fine. Worst case scenario I can always load up codebreaker or something similar onto the SD card and cheat my way to the end but I'm sure it won't come to that. After that it's probably time for a change of pace. One friend of mine recommended some N64 games a while back and another friend of mine keeps wanting me to try Genshin Impact so maybe one of those two (probably the former cause Genshin isn't something I can see myself getting into, I wasn't the biggest fan of the gatcha stuff in Xenoblade 2 so I'll probably have a similar-ish experience here) or maybe I'll do something non-gaming related but not sure what that'll be at the moment.

...Okay Yaukza 6, you got me. I thought I had this story all figured out, but nope.
I was 100% sure Haruto was the son of that douchey Yakuza in the white suit and that bartender lady. And that Haruka was just entrusted to keep him safe from some Yakuza fuckery. But nope, kid is really hers and she got knocked up by Yuta, who is a secret Triad heir.

They got me good.

I did not know what PuyoPuyo was before playing Yakuza 6.

I now hate PuyoPuyo. This game freaking cheats.
The objective of beating all characters in Puyo Puyo is the single hardest thing I've done in a Yakuza game.

I did know what it was before, I already disliked it and getting better at it for this did not change my mind at all.

They gave Cuno a new dub in The Final Cut. It's not going to be the same without that godawful screeching.

f5u24ea6p2q61.png

I guess we couldn't end Yakuza as a series without
yet another fakeout Kiryu death. They sure love going back to that well.

That aside, I liked it. Nice to have the whole story back on Kiryu for once. I wasn't a fan of the combat system this game. Felt too easy. I mean you could breeze through most bosses just by going heat and spamming that one combo. But still, I liked it. Baseball Quagmire didn't come back, so that was a big plus. I liked the latest batch of dippy Yakuza you make friends with. Like Nagumo. He started out annoying, but he is a solid bro.

Good game. And as a whole, decent series. 1, 2, 4 and 6 were good. 3 and 5 however you couldn't pay me to ever play again.

Well, done with Yakuza now. Guess I gotta find something new to play.

And no, I'm not playing Yakuza 0.

I just started playing Jeanne d'Arc on PSP. I'm loving it so far....granted I've only been playing it for about an hour. Anyone else have any opinions on it?

Finished up Leon A in RE2, though I think I'm going to start over instead of going to Claire B because I fucked up a bit.
Totally forgot that using the anti-BOW gas in the lab leads to Poison Ivy enemies in the B scenario. Really not in the mood to deal with both the poison status and Mr. X at the same time.
I'll get around to doing a full RE2 run eventually once I'm a bit more up for it! Fun game but just not up for the full run right now. That and I want to do some full blown reorganizing on my Dreamcast SD card cause it's a bit of a mess, organization-wise. That way I can set discs up for auto-queue instead of manually setting them up every time I run a game.

Never have your money card in arms reach when you don't sleep. Apparently in my insomniac haze last night, I bought WWE 2K20. Have zero memory of it. Thankfully Microsoft approved my refund.

Felt like doing a short game so I started A Plague Tale today, currently on Chapter 7. It's pretty fun, kind of feels like a more budget The Last Of Us with a French setting and lots of rats. Also, I rarely like small kids in videogames, but Hugo's got the most adorable voice acting.

Felt like doing a short game so I started A Plague Tale today, currently on Chapter 7. It's pretty fun, kind of feels like a more budget The Last Of Us with a French setting and lots of rats. Also, I rarely like small kids in videogames, but Hugo's got the most adorable voice acting.
I hope you're not playing it in English. I gave up on those accents after a couple cutscenes and put the language in French. Way better.

I hope you're not playing it in English. I gave up on those accents after a couple cutscenes and put the language in French. Way better.
I don't mind them, plus even though I speak French it's not a language I like much. Would have probably picked French anyways if it was the game's original voicework, but apparently it was English first, then French dub later.

And another potential reason would have been authenticity, buuut then you've also got the English soldiers speaking French, so it's still no more authentic than the other way around really.

Luckily I managed to get myself out of my game slump for a bit, as for how long that'll last I don't know but I tried out the fanmade Oculus Quest port of Doom 3. All things considered this is pretty mindblowing stuff. It's not perfect by any means and at least on the Quest 1 it does have framerate drops but the fact that it's fully playable and STILL looks pretty damn good considering the hardware is great shit.

Part of me wants to try out the other Doom 3 VR port that works on a PC but I'll need the BFG edition for that, which I don't have. Now if Bethesda would release their new VR edition of Doom 3 onto PC I'd grab it on launch day...

...Well, how could I not buy Like A Dragon when the version with all the extra bells and whistles was on sale? Talking I saved 30 bucks. Basically nabbed the super fancy version for the normal price of the basic option.

I just played the first mission of Project Wingman in VR mode and now I see what @Vuh was talking about when he said Ace Combat 7's VR missions were amazing shit. For 20 dollars this is one hell of an experience with a VR headset! I'm also tempted to grab Dirt Rally 2.0 to try with VR, but I'll be trying out the original Dirt Rally in VR mode before I buy it. Also a little nervous about performance with Dirt Rally 2.0 but performance in Project Wingman was top notch.

Edit: Played a little bit of Dirt Rally in VR mode, holy FUCK this is not a game for people new to VR. Good thing I'm quite used to VR at this point cause if not I probably would have threw up! Experience is amazing though, looks like I'll have to pick up 2.0 while it's on sale for 5 bucks with the game of the year edition...

Last edited:
Reactions: Vuh
Completed A Plague Tale so I'm back with Code Vein. Got to the title screen and had a hunch (again) that I knew who the composer for the main menu theme was, so I looked it up, and sure enough...

0:56 gave it away.

This guy's stuff pumps me the hell up, not sure how I never bumped into/noticed his work until KnY.

I'm currently doing a Baldur's Gate replay, but I'm using a guide for pretty much the entirety of the first game; the maps are all big and devoid of things to do. A hexcrawling adventure full of empty screens is not very fun to play by your lonesome. I'm mopping up some sidequests before the final confrontation, and then I might buy Siege of Dragonspear to experience some GamerGate references firsthand. Woohoo! #killallgamers #yesallgamers #animefanstoowhilewereatit

What I don't remember is the pathfinding being this bad, something I also I noticed in my aborted Icewind Dale playthrough earlier this year (I managed to arrive at Kuldahar before giving up). I've gotten used to it now but I hope it won't be in the other games.

I know Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn by heart, and it's the perfect comfort food game. Much tighter design; big sprawling side-quests with different flavours; the dungeons are much better than the same-y ones in the original; and you can fight dragons and talk to genies while carrying the cut-off heads of child-killers. I dunno, it has some great D&D tone despite taking you to levels in which domain play was very much intended, IIRC. The strongholds are a nice touch but not very mind-blowing in the year 2021.

now I see what @Vuh was talking about when he said Ace Combat 7's VR

BRUH. Does it not feel like you're actually piloting an aircraft? I don't know how hard you fuck with the flight sim genre but let me tell you, VR + HOTAS is the ultimate flying experience.

BRUH. Does it not feel like you're actually piloting an aircraft? I don't know how hard you fuck with the flight sim genre but let me tell you, VR + HOTAS is the ultimate flying experience.
Oh hell yes. Sadly I don't really have the space for a full blown HOTAS setup but that'd be amazing to have one day. To be honest it's going to feel weird playing games like this on a standard display now, being able to fully look around the cockpit plus all the small details (like the marks on the glass) is next level shit. Unfortunately I haven't gotten past the second mission mainly since it seems like I really need to master how to make tight turns. Really looking forward to playing more though, same goes for Dirt Rally 2.0.

You know what would be even cooler though? Freespace 2 with some kind of VR mod. I need it....

Reactions: Vuh
Oh hell yes. Sadly I don't really have the space for a full blown HOTAS setup but that'd be amazing to have one day. To be honest it's going to feel weird playing games like this on a standard display now, being able to fully look around the cockpit plus all the small details (like the marks on the glass) is next level shit. Unfortunately I haven't gotten past the second mission mainly since it seems like I really need to master how to make tight turns. Really looking forward to playing more though, same goes for Dirt Rally 2.0.

You know what would be even cooler though? Freespace 2 with some kind of VR mod. I need it....

Post-stall maneuvers are your friend. I know it seems contradictory, since normally intentionally stalling your aircraft is a very bad thing, but stalling the engine and YEETING the hell out of the flaps and ailerons at the same time can make literally any aircraft turn on a dime. I'm talking literal 180-degree turns.

Completed A Plague Tale so I'm back with Code Vein. Got to the title screen and had a hunch (again) that I knew who the composer for the main menu theme was, so I looked it up, and sure enough...

0:56 gave it away.

This guy's stuff pumps me the hell up, not sure how I never bumped into/noticed his work until KnY.

Go Shiina's underrated as fuck. I don't know why Bandai Namco doesn't always give him much freedom when he already has proven again and again he can make a banging OST on his own as seen on all God Eater games and Code Vein.

I hope he contributes something to Tales of Arise. His Tales music are just sublime.

Back