Gaming Discussion Thread

Made it to Chapter 5 in Mother 3. Holy fuck chapter 4 was.... a lot.
Seeing the modernized Tazmily village was extremely unsettling. It reminded me a lot of the feeling of arriving in Bioshock Infinite's Columbia, specifically how things seem to look happy and amazing on the surface but then you soon realize things are really, REALLY messed up. Granted there was clear build up to this happening but it still hits hard. What I especially liked about Chapter 4 is that you could really take your time to explore the village and put the pieces together as to just how messed up things were. For starters, when exploring each of the houses it's apparent that on top of all the new modern stuff in there, each house has something called a "Happy Box" which seems to have some kind of brainwashing effect and Lucas is being pressured by Fassad and the other residents to just get one already. Not long after that, someone or something says to Lucas that he's the resident of the village's famous "Lightning House". I go to the house... and it's wrecked by lightning damage. Then as I'm exploring the village I start seeing other homes blasted by lightning and I notice there's a pattern: the houses struck by lightning belonged to people who refused to get Happy Boxes. And if the person happens to be an old man and their house gets fucked (which is the case for one character) they get thrown in the "new and shiny" retirement home which is actually a run-down shithole that more closely resembles a prison. There are even CHAINS on some of the walls and I'm just like "oh fuck..." The scariest part is that this can only be the tip of the iceberg. I feel terrible for Lucas too... poor kid went through so much and now this. Just... fuck.
Gameplay-wise it's gotten a bit easier in some ways starting with chapter 4 and harder in others. There's finally shops and item storage, and item storage is FAR better than it was in Earthbound. No more constantly juggling items and money at a rate of three items at a time! And no more storage fees! Items also stack in the storage and overall capacity seems to be much higher but time will tell if I reach any sort of storage limit. Inventory storage with each character is still a pain and has some of the same flaws as the previous games (like equipped items still taking up the limited inventory slots) but it's so much easier to reorganize. I'm also a bit glad that the game has more challenge to it compared to Earthbound, but again time will tell on if this becomes too much or if it gets extremely easy towards the end. I've noticed I've had to use much more combat items and such in battle instead of just bashing my way through on top of getting hit with some pretty strong attacks fairly regularly. I've been keeping my gear relatively upgraded and making sure to buy the best gear I can at shops so I'm 99 percent sure it's the overall difficulty that's increased which again isn't a bad thing considering how easy Earthbound was for most of the game's length.

Depending on how the rest of the game goes it might wind up being one of my favorites, but man it can be emotionally draining.

Yeah, they're nice to have since sometimes they make it possible to kill an enemy in one round but the amount of damage on each combo hit seems really small at least in these early parts of the game. At the very least I'm starting to get the hang of things so I haven't had too much trouble with the combos now!

On another note part of me really wants to replay Mother 1/Earthbound Beginnings again but that encounter rate would be painful to deal with... xD (and part of me wants to do it without the "easy" patch this time)
Ye, the damage goes up quite a bit as you get better gear if I remember right. At least you have a better sense of rhythm than I do :laugh:

Don't remind me of the encounter rate pls - was painful and then some
------
Played through Everhood not too long ago. Can understand why folk say it's "like Undertale", but by saying that it makes it seem like the game will be no different from all the other various Undertale clones out there and cheapens the takeaway a bit. Is a perfectly good combat rhythm game with its own characters and humour. The whole
"restore the cycle of reincarnation" was fairly interesting to see given how unlike Undertale or most other games which have the full genocide route as an option, it's presented as being done without any malice at all and instead being merciful (the hallway of tally marks in Green Mage's room goes on for about 4hrs showing the cast has been alive for...quite a long time). Also brings into question whether an immortal life would truly be one worth living and all those fun philosophical questions.
Oh, and the OST is real noice.

Long overdue, but I beat Resident Evil VII for the first time. I thought most of the game was great, with the exception of that limp dick of a final boss.

Probably will do Madhouse difficulty next, then the 'challenge' runs (limited Heals/Item Box usage + speedrun) on Easy. I'll leave the DLCs for last because I'd rather have the main game fresh in my memory for the above stuff first, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of other characters, particularly Zoe.

Downloaded and tried the Monster Hunter Rise demo on Switch, jesus christ this is not the game for me. 5 minutes of play and I'm already bombarded with more information than I could ever hope to remember, then the actual action itself was dull as all hell.

In fact, I disliked it so much that it stopped me wanting to play anything at all today.

Downloaded and tried the Monster Hunter Rise demo on Switch, jesus christ this is not the game for me. 5 minutes of play and I'm already bombarded with more information than I could ever hope to remember, then the actual action itself was dull as all hell.

In fact, I disliked it so much that it stopped me wanting to play anything at all today.
I've only played Monster Hunter a few times but yeah, those games are not for me either. I just find them to be really sluggish and tedious. I did enjoy Dauntless aka free to play monster hunter clone for the short time I played it but I don't even have the energy for multiplayer focused stuff as much anymore. I'm scared to ask how much info you got bombarded with cause even though I wasn't a huge fan of the Monster Hunter World demo I remember that being a bit more streamlined iirc.

Single player stuff is so much better anyway!

Last edited:
The beginning of Madhouse is tense as hell. It takes like twenty headshots to take down Chainsaw Mia, Jack Baker chases you like he activated Gear Second, and the limited saves just make everything all the more nerve-wracking. Thankfully I got to the point where you get to access the Item Box, so at least I got some of the nice unlockables you can get when finishing a run (the Albert pistol and a couple defense enhancements, mainly) so now the experience should be a little more balanced. I can tell it's gonna be an uphill battle until I manage to hoard enough ammo to feel confident, though.

But hey, it's interesting. This is what a hard mode should be like.

This reminds me of my own experience with Monster Hunter 3 to a tee.

This reminds me of my own experience with Monster Hunter 3 to a tee.
Monster Hunter 3 was one of the clunkiest games I ever played. I'll give it some credit for having really good graphics for a wii game and for it's online features but as for the game itself it was a massive pain in the ass to actually kill anything and the sheer number of loading screens was crazy. Don't even get me started on when the monsters would just run away.

Though I'd say in retrospect there's an even more critical flaw these days in that a good chunk of the content is now inaccessible due to the online servers being shut off. I know you can probably get around that via wii homebrew but, ugh.

I rather enjoyed MHW but only ever did the "story" and maybe a bit beyond that, never bothered with the multiplayer. Fun game and excellent world/monster design but not a franchise I'm ever really gonna sink my teeth into similar to Warriors games (for different reasons but it's the same feeling).

I beat Little Nightmares II. Cannot say I enjoyed it as much as the first. I miss all that fleshy, disgusting visceralness from the first one. And the monsters weren't as intimidating as the ones from the first game.
Also, the ending pissed me off. Little raincoat wearing bitch just dropping me like that.
Better be some DLC later, cause I am not pleased with the ending at all.

Completed the 'challenge run' on RE7 and went back to Madhouse difficulty. It was a good idea to do the other thing first because the Circular Saw I unlocked helps a crapton both in dealing with enemies swiftly and saving bullets, and then there's also the X-Ray Glasses telling you where items are so exploration goes way smoother.

I'm taking my time with it relatively speaking, meticulously scavenging everything and always watching out for ambushes - but it's going very well so far. I'm up to the Greenhouse bit and packed with a lot of ammo/useful stuff. The limited saves haven't proven to be much of an issue either - I've got 8 spare cassette tapes to use right now, so that's looking fine as well.

I'm waiting for @randomredneck to start posting about how amazing Yakuza 0 is, how it's the best game he's ever played in his life, and how wrong he was not to play it before, because none of the other Yakuzas even slightly compare. Aaaaaany time now. Aaaaaany second. Heeeeeere it comes.

I'm waiting for @randomredneck to start posting about how amazing Yakuza 0 is, how it's the best game he's ever played in his life, and how wrong he was not to play it before, because none of the other Yakuzas even slightly compare. Aaaaaany time now. Aaaaaany second. Heeeeeere it comes.
Not happening. I don't like prequels, and I'm frankly over this series after the shart that was Yakuza 5.

So, uh, Resident Evil VII's macabre version of Black Jack might just be my favorite card game ever. The trump cards add sooo many variables to it and it's so damn fun. Didn't expect the best part of this game to be a Kaiji-esque card duel hidden among the DLCs, but here we are.

how amazing Yakuza 0 is, how it's the best game he's ever played in his life, and how wrong he was not to play it before, because none of the other Yakuzas even slightly compare.
Sounds like something I could unironically say to be honest.

Minus the best game ever part, but it's genuinely somewhere up there.

Meanwhile I am dying to finally get my hands on the full version tomorrow. This month has been real waiting hell because my hype was so high.

Went to go play Secret of Mana since I hadn't played it in years. Started up the game and got to the first town, saved my game, then wound up buying something I didn't need so I reset the console to reload my save... only to find my old save from my previous playthrough in the slot that I know I just overwrote. Asked a friend of mine about it since he plays a ton of retro stuff too and he says the battery might be dying. FUCK.

On a more positive note I finished Mother 3 today, but I don't have the energy to make a post about it right now thanks to the above frustration. Amazing game though!

How could one possibly hope to beat such perfection:

836d25a09ffff3e39ac062070fdcf388.gif

You can't beat this shit.

And yet you played both Kiwamis. You know, the direct sequels to 0.
Look pal, I'm not playing 0. Not happening now, later, ever. So I'd appreciate it if you crawl off my back about it and mind your own effing business.
--------
On a different subject, I don't know what it is, but Yakuza 6 feels very slow. And there's like no graphical adjustment option to try and fix it. I don't like this.

EDIT: Oh, and there's apparently no Goddamn substory tracker anymore. So I gotta drag my ass across the entire city to find them now...fun.

Last edited:
Back