Gaming Discussion Thread

Started replaying Ocarina of Time and as great of a game as this is I think Wind Waker was honestly better in a few areas. There's some weirdness like finding chests with just standard health pickups in them (though that's mostly early on and in the first dungeon) and some things just tied to purely random chance. For example, if you want a bomb bag upgrade you have to play the bombchu bowling alley game but the prize you get is picked at random... and only after you pay and some of the prizes are straight up stupid. You could be trying to win the bomb bag upgrade or the heart piece but instead it'll decide to make regular bombs your prize even though you can just walk to the nearby store and outright buy some. Don't even get me started on the gravedigging game where you can accidentally have the gravekeeper dig the pavement and thus find nothing (and the prize being random if you dig in the right spots). Another negative is that exploration, at least at first, is very slow due to being restricted to moving on foot in the early sections.

With all that said this is still a game with many positive qualities to it. The visuals are still quite nice to look at especially at sunsets and the game controls really well for something from the late 90s. The various minigames are also quite fun even if the prize systems are a bit random. This game also just has some really well designed dungeons which are always the highlight of these games for me. On top of that you get a story that honestly gets better and better as the years go on due to how just about all of these games are connected with the lore and playing these games for about 20+ years means I'm pretty invested in the overarching story at this point.
And the soundtrack is timeless. Excellent shit.

Started replaying Ocarina of Time and as great of a game as this is I think Wind Waker was honestly better in a few areas. There's some weirdness like finding chests with just standard health pickups in them (though that's mostly early on and in the first dungeon) and some things just tied to purely random chance. For example, if you want a bomb bag upgrade you have to play the bombchu bowling alley game but the prize you get is picked at random... and only after you pay and some of the prizes are straight up stupid. You could be trying to win the bomb bag upgrade or the heart piece but instead it'll decide to make regular bombs your prize even though you can just walk to the nearby store and outright buy some. Don't even get me started on the gravedigging game where you can accidentally have the gravekeeper dig the pavement and thus find nothing (and the prize being random if you dig in the right spots). Another negative is that exploration, at least at first, is very slow due to being restricted to moving on foot in the early sections.

With all that said this is still a game with many positive qualities to it. The visuals are still quite nice to look at especially at sunsets and the game controls really well for something from the late 90s. The various minigames are also quite fun even if the prize systems are a bit random. This game also just has some really well designed dungeons which are always the highlight of these games for me. On top of that you get a story that honestly gets better and better as the years go on due to how just about all of these games are connected with the lore and playing these games for about 20+ years means I'm pretty invested in the overarching story at this point.
And the soundtrack is timeless. Excellent shit.

I've honestly been a lot harder on Ocarina of Time recently, I've replayed it maybe once or twice but I usually end up just going to Majora's mask instead and that game has more interesting puzzles to me. Not that I don't enjoy OoT, I still do but I'm not sure I love it as much when I did as a kid compared to other legend of zelda games.

Egorapter's video I still think about every time and it makes some pretty fair criticisms against the game:

That said though, Gerudo valley is still the best zelda theme ever to me:

I recently finished Manual Samuel, a dark comedy where you have to manually control basic human functions like breathing or blinking, and it's as excruciating as it sounds. The game itself is pretty alright, the humour is pretty alright and all, I like me some dark comedy where a blonde rich fuck has to suffer through the most basic of tasks but not when I'm also suffering alongside his bitch ass. Trying to get the gold trophy on all the time trials had me pull my hair out though I seriously ended up rage quitting due to how garbage the controls are.

Also, Jesus, that final boss fight was a damn nightmare, who thought it was a good idea he does not deserve a job.

The annoyingly hippy grim reaper who's trying and failing to do a kickflip throughout the whole game while finding creative ways to fuck with this failed-abortion of a protagonist does make it worthwhile though.

I haven't gotten all the achievements yet. One of them is a coop acjivement that requires a controller, which I don't have since I broke mine a while back and didn't bother to replace it. And no fucking way in hell I'm touching the time trials again any time soon my temper is limited.
Looking at your recent activity, you have a lot of hair-pulling stuff on your plate at the moment. This, fucking 10 Second Ninja X* and A Story About My Uncle. Yiiikes.

I just got out of a recent spiel of frustrating stuff myself, otherwise I'd probably start Manual Samuel too. Had been eyeing it for a while, and getting it for free from HB helped.

(*Funny thing about this one, though: getting X rank on the very first stage was more difficult to me than any of the other ones. Each time I failed that one I was facepalming just thinking about everything I'd still need to do afterwards, but it only got easier after that bump. Still pretty annoying, though)

Looking at your recent activity, you have a lot of hair-pulling stuff on your plate at the moment. This, fucking 10 Second Ninja X* and A Story About My Uncle. Yiiikes.

I just got out of a recent spiel of frustrating stuff myself, otherwise I'd probably start Manual Samuel too. Had been eyeing it for a while, and getting it for free from HB helped.

(*Funny thing about this one, though: getting X rank on the very first stage was more difficult to me than any of the other ones. Each time I failed that one I was facepalming just thinking about everything I'd still need to do afterwards, but it only got easier after that bump. Still pretty annoying, though)
One would think I'm supposed to be playing games to unwind while I have exams
ezgif-7-c4df0ee216c5.png

Plan was supposed to be to go back and get any unfinished achievement in the games I completed before but I'm starting to question myself now. Might stick to the few point and click games I have for now until I'm seeing red less.

Looks like Pikmin 3 is coming to Switch. I wonder if the controls will be a bit better cause I remember the demo on Wii U having some annoying controls which is why I didn't buy it.

As much of a Fate fanboy as I am, I never really got into F:GO. Haven't watched the anime, either since I don't really have the time. That being said, I'm glad quarantine introduced me to the one gacha game using my money to produce some bomb ass music

Never thought I'd be as addicted to Chinese mobile games as I am to Arknights, but here I am.

I'm not done yet, but I think I can safely say I liked Yakuza 1 better. The sequel has no pocket circuit, no fighting stance changes, not enough Majima, the plot is frankly a meandering mess (Like how did I get from
rival dragon to a plot about the Korean mob?
) and the biggest knock against it, this pain in the ass chick cop. My God I hate this bitch. Haruka cried less than her, and she was like 9.

I'm not done yet, but I think I can safely say I liked Yakuza 1 better. The sequel has no pocket circuit, no fighting stance changes, not enough Majima, the plot is frankly a meandering mess (Like how did I get from
rival dragon to a plot about the Korean mob?
) and the biggest knock against it, this pain in the ass chick cop. My God I hate this bitch. Haruka cried less than her, and she was like 9.
If you played 0, you'd say the exact same thing about Kiwami 1

...So I know I said I wasn't gonna do that cabaret club thing. But while walking past there, I just recruited the old lady who ran the orphanage for a bit.

And now my morbid curiosity has gotten the better of me. That's too funny to pass-up seeing.

EDIT: Fine, you were all right. It's annoyingly addicting.

Been checking out the Spider-Man(2002) game. Ah man, it feels awesome hearing Tobey Maguire voicing those quips for Spider-Man. :love:
Don't forget tutorial narration by Bruce Campbell.

Last edited:
About to go to bed and I was dicking around with some stuff, because I might be restarting Final Fantasy 9 soon but I don't want to use the PS2 and risk scratching my discs until I know for sure if the system is scratching discs or not. Word of advice, don't play discs directly using retroarch. Your drive will be loud as all hell and unless you change the disc read mode in the settings it's choppy. I tried setting it to load the entire disc into RAM but this takes an ETERNITY just to boot and my drive would speed up and slow down a lot after a while so... yeeeeah no. Gonna be using retroarch's disc dumper to make image files of all 4 discs and I'll play them that way. Also going to be dicking around with Justice League Heroes as that's a game that probably is just average and I've hardly ever touched it, so there's no visible scratches. I'll use that to determine once and for all if the console is scratching game discs or not.

Back