Gaming Discussion Thread

I already played around 40 minutes. Wasn't it supposed to be scary?
Eh, more like atmospheric. I downloaded it for free last PS Plus rotation and it was pretty much the same as every other game of its type, you're semi-alone in some abandoned broken place where monsters may or may not be chasing you, only this time, underwaters :o

There's not a lot to it besides its depressing creepy story and philosophical questions of mortality, the rest is just dark = creepy and lonely = scary type of stuff that most horror games have. The environments are pretty nicely designed though.

Eh, more like atmospheric. I downloaded it for free last PS Plus rotation and it was pretty much the same as every other game of its type, you're semi-alone in some abandoned broken place where monsters may or may not be chasing you, only this time, underwaters :o

There's not a lot to it besides its depressing creepy story and philosophical questions of mortality, the rest is just dark = creepy and lonely = scary type of stuff that most horror games have. The environments are pretty nicely designed though.
It's supposed to have around 8-9 hours, so I guess I'll get to finish it even if I won't like it. So far I'm not impressed. It looks too much like the first Bioshock.

It's supposed to have around 8-9 hours, so I guess I'll get to finish it even if I won't like it. So far I'm not impressed. It looks too much like the first Bioshock.
I guess it's kind of like bioshock x amnesia, since it was produced by the same people who made amnesia, which is why it will feel like that game with a bioshock skin. I've never seen much gameplay of bioshock though so I won't know how similar the stories are but the one thing I was impressed with in SOMA is how they managed to make you feel about some simulated choices in that whole morality thing i mentioned later on which I won't spoil. The game kind of works better as a decent philosophical Philip K. Dick meets Isaac Asimov-esque creepypasta that they just happened to design a game around.

I guess it's kind of like bioshock x amnesia, since it was produced by the same people who made amnesia, which is why it will feel like that game with a bioshock skin. I've never seen much gameplay of bioshock though so I won't know how similar the stories are but the one thing I was impressed with in SOMA is how they managed to make you feel about some simulated choices in that whole morality thing i mentioned later on which I won't spoil. The game kind of works better as a decent philosophical Philip K. Dick meets Isaac Asimov-esque creepypasta that they just happened to design a game around.

I think a lot of people just missed out on games like Amnesia. Soma was just made during a time where the internet was fascinated with people streaming the games with webcams on, most of those didn't even know what Amnesia was.

It's like you've been watching Disney movies you're whole life and then all of a sudden you jump into Hellraiser. Most people won't even be able to finish the movie... but then you have those that already like the genre and you just kinda laugh at others who got scared shitless when they were watching Hellraiser.

Soma is alright, it does what it was designed to do... Make you feel anxiety from time to time with some well timed jump scares here and there but I totally agree with you @Starletka, it's nothing super crazy good.

Keep in mind that this whole hype was followed up by Resident Evil 7, people thought that was the best thing ever and I'm actually really happy I didn't get myself lured into playing that... looks good but yah...

Re-playing the Paper Marios, the thousand year door for the billionth time.

This is still one of my favourite themes:

I really always mostly enjoyed the RPG side way more to the mario franchise than the platformers to be honest with a few notable exceptions.

Still haven't played the Thousand Year Door, but the original Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven stars is probably my favorite Mario game. That was a good game. Although all the Paper Mario games I played have been pretty spot on.

Alright, so I thought I'd finish Azure Striker Gunvolt, but it turns out the game forces you to get a bad ending and reload your cleared file before it's even possible to face the final boss, and you need to replay certain if you missed important collectibles since you can't just grab them and exit with em through the pause menu. Way to kill an otherwise slick game with such a dumb approach alternate endings.

Re-playing the Paper Marios, the thousand year door for the billionth time.

This is still one of my favourite themes:

I really always mostly enjoyed the RPG side way more to the mario franchise than the platformers to be honest.
Yes, my second favorite video game ever, good to hear you've heard of it! I've replayed that fuckin thing so many times I know all the ways to cheese it, like danger mario and shit, just stomp through the pit of 100 trials like it's butter. I love that game. Vivian is my gurl

Yes, my second favorite video game ever, good to hear you've heard of it! I've replayed that fuckin thing so many times I know all the ways to cheese it, like danger mario and shit, just stomp through the pit of 100 trials like it's butter. I love that game. Vivian is my gurl

FIERY JYNX SPAM, that piercing damage. I think my two favourite partners to use were probably Vivian and Admiral Bobbery. Just can't say no, to that much awesome physical explosive power.

Back