Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

After the ep.4 I must that so far what hurts this anime the most is the existence of the first series. I'd propably like the ep4 a lot more if I haven't watched it in original FMA. It seems really rushed so any emotional attachment I could have for the characters is fading quickly. Let's hope once they go past first series they'll slow down with the pace.

After the ep.4 I must that so far what hurts this anime the most is the existence of the first series. I'd propably like the ep4 a lot more if I haven't watched it in original FMA. It seems really rushed so any emotional attachment I could have for the characters is fading quickly. Let's hope once they go past first series they'll slow down with the pace.

I disagree the first series wasted time on characters like Rose and Nina who aren't that important to the overall story. If this series is going to cover more ground then the original then by all means speed through the filler. I think some one who's just now watching FMA and saw that episode would have been sadden enough. There's no reason to drag side stories on any further then one episode. Let's get to the meat!!!
Imo the first FMA series didn't get good until halfway through.

I disagree the first series wasted time on characters like Rose and Nina who aren't that important to the overall story. If this series is going to cover more ground then the original then by all means speed through the filler. I think some one who's just now watching FMA and saw that episode would have been sadden enough. There's no reason to drag side stories on any further then one episode. Let's get to the meat!!!
I'd usually agree on the argument that too much time spend on side-characters or "filler characters" is a bad thing. With the original FMA however I think it really contributed to the show to have spend that air time on characters like Rose and Nina, who added to the whole "feel" of FMA.

I see FMA:Brotherhood as a rush up to the moment where the original anime and manga took different paths, it will hopefully take a slower pace from there on.
Enjoying it so far because of the awesome graphics, OP and ED and greatness of the original series.

I liked Episode 4, but compared to the first FMA, it wasn't as good, the whole Shou Tucker arc in the first was great cuz i loved Nina, doing 1 ep on her and Shou Tucker felt sorta rushed to me :/

I prefer the second Nina over the first. The difference is this:
FMA - 2003
The Nina/Tucker arc lasted as long as it did because they were sent there to study for the alchemist exam. So they were younger and actually lived there for awhile.

FMA - 2009
Nina/Tucker exist AFTER Lior and are only introduced because Ed and Al inquired about Biological Alchemy. And the reason they grow attached to Nina is because they see her as themselves when they were younger.. their parent ignoring them for the most part.

I find it to be much more emotionally compelling to hapharzardly come across a parent willing to sacrifice their kid rather then come across a parent you've been staying with a long time to do what he did. I'd be angrier hardly knowing the person rather then knowing them if anyone gets my understanding. Like you can give reasons and explanations but overall, it's infuriating either way.

That's my 2 cents. I think 1 episode for them was a good enough fit when comparing the time-line differences in script.

While I can agree Rose is a waste of time in any show (and her bird-lover was so annoying, thank god they didn't add him this time) I can't agree with Nina.
In the first series they purposely let the viewer start feeling attached to her so that the emotional blow didn't only affect Elric brothers, but also partially transferred to viewers as well. "The character that was fun to watch and cute was just killed by ther beloved father - thats how it was showed in FMA1. With shortened viewing time the viewer doesn't get time to feel attached to her, since one moment she's playing next moment shes a chimera. So the message we get from FMA2 is more like "Some little girl was just killed by her beloved father". The difference isn't that big to make the drama fade away completely, but it's weaker in comparison

well it's hard to be objective since most of us talking about this have seen the first series.

either way Shou's fate was a nice change from the original.

I'll be stoked when we get into uncharted territory as in non-first anime series content. I've never even looked at the manga.

I hate the way they skipped the coal mine part.
That guy(forgot his name cause i hate him) Is quite an important part of the story.
His introduction was necessary imo.

I dunno, I still feel sad to see what happens to Nina. Though I suppose one could say it was rushed, I still had an emotional attachment to her. Mind you, in all fairness that could be carried over from the previous FMA and the manga.

I like that Shou gets taken out by Scar...but doesn't it damn well suck that he kills Nina? I wish that she could have been saved somehow...use her as a staple to add to Ed's and Al's resolve.

Back on topic, I think one might have made this a 2 ep arc at the most. Though one may prefer to bond more to the characters you'd have to be pretty heartless not to feel sad when Nina gets involved, even if it is only one ep.

Besides, if you want bonding and tragedy...wait till later...

That guy(forgot his name cause i hate him) Is quite an important part of the story.

Yeah if you noticed they did mention him at the beginning of the episode. As some of military people working under Roy Mustang were sifting through paperwork they came across that guy's file and mentioned that Ed and Al had already exposed him; and that he was now a fugitive.

Yeah if you noticed they did mention him at the beginning of the episode. As some of military people working under Roy Mustang were sifting through paperwork they came across that guy's file and mentioned that Ed and Al had already exposed him; and that he was now a fugitive.

Yeah i know that, otherwise i would't have mentioned it.
But this is no way a proper introduction.

Another thing about ep 4. The thunder was so cliché.

thus far the series is not just a letdown, but it's starting to give me the "trainwreck" vibe.

Rushed, forced, and robbed of it's emotional content, it's looking more and more like a heartless generic shonen... the manga had much more emotional impact then this. Seeing the manga robbed of it's soul is horrifying me atm, and i can't compare this to the first anime (different story all together), the first was a masterpiece... thus far this is turning into complete trash.

yes im harsh to it. probably I'm being completely unfair. But a sweet opening (and it is a great opening) and a strong ending theme do not a good anime make.

My girlfriend is a hyper FMA otaku, i think she knows every word spoken in the first series by heart... and she's probably read the manga a dozen times, and practically counts down to the release of the new ones... and shes already given up on this new series. in fact she announced she's not going to watch it anymore after the butchering of the nina/tucker storyline (I don't believe her. she'll be there watching the next episode like i will be, complaining the whole time).

I'm not dropping this yet, partly because i do love the manga, and do want to see it animated. But its completely horrifying me thus far... how they can take a complex and emotionally deep storyline and boil it down into a generic or even mediocre shonen is mind blowing.

when the series started out i said it was horrifying that i could compare it to the mediocre "To Aru Majutsu no Index"... at the moment i hate to say, but it's gotten worse and now it's not even in "Index" class. It's just plain bad.

I'd drop it if i wasn't such a fanboy myself. but like my girlfriend im certain i'll be back for more; self flagellation at it's finest i guess.

I dropped this show a little into episode two when it showed their mother for one scene and then was like
"but then mom died".

It seems I made the right decision.

Last edited:
im not too pleased with this so far but im gonna put up with it till it catches up to where the manga and the anime deviated

Well got the chance to watch all four episodes so far via funi's stream on there site and I like it so far but it seems to me that its a bit rushed on some parts of it. I wasn't to thrilled to see it rushed on the parts that gave the back story of the show. I was expecting more then what they gave on it but I will not drop the show because of that. Will continue to watch. :)

thus far the series is not just a letdown, but it's starting to give me the "trainwreck" vibe.

Rushed, forced, and robbed of it's emotional content, it's looking more and more like a heartless generic shonen... the manga had much more emotional impact then this. Seeing the manga robbed of it's soul is horrifying me atm, and i can't compare this to the first anime (different story all together), the first was a masterpiece... thus far this is turning into complete trash.

yes im harsh to it. probably I'm being completely unfair. But a sweet opening (and it is a great opening) and a strong ending theme do not a good anime make.

My girlfriend is a hyper FMA otaku, i think she knows every word spoken in the first series by heart... and she's probably read the manga a dozen times, and practically counts down to the release of the new ones... and shes already given up on this new series. in fact she announced she's not going to watch it anymore after the butchering of the nina/tucker storyline (I don't believe her. she'll be there watching the next episode like i will be, complaining the whole time).

I'm not dropping this yet, partly because i do love the manga, and do want to see it animated. But its completely horrifying me thus far... how they can take a complex and emotionally deep storyline and boil it down into a generic or even mediocre shonen is mind blowing.

when the series started out i said it was horrifying that i could compare it to the mediocre "To Aru Majutsu no Index"... at the moment i hate to say, but it's gotten worse and now it's not even in "Index" class. It's just plain bad.

I'd drop it if i wasn't such a fanboy myself. but like my girlfriend im certain i'll be back for more; self flagellation at it's finest i guess.

I don't blame you on how you feel about the show. In some ways I feel the same way about it. Perhaps it will get better as it moves along and it should stick to the manga story line, hopefully we will see what happens.

Agreed. They should have put that in the show and not skip it. They did mention it when Roy's staff was at there desks and I thought oh man they skipped that part, how could they not include that.

Back