Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

I thought episode 1 was pretty good. Seemed like good ole FMA too me. I think there was a bit more in your face comedy than usual but that's about it.

Didn't care for the OP and the ED was just Meh. The soundtrack seems pretty much the same style, which is good.

My favorite part of the episode was
When Issac used his own blood as weapons.

Well, Fujiwara Keiji has played A LOT of Gundam roles in general. He did Eledore in 08th MS Team, Noventa in Wing, and Striker Eagle in V. He also plays Kimura in Hajime no Ippo (along in the new season), Reno in FF7: Advent Children, Sigint in MGS3, Drebin in MGS4, and a whole bunch of other characters.

Whoa that same guy did Reno and Kimura??? I can kinda hear the similarities with Kimura, but from what I remember Reno didn't sound anything like that (more high pitched). Side note - Reno and Rude were so pimp in Advent Children, they basically made that movie for me along with Tifa's church scene.

hehe- when (FMA:B and Avatar:TLA spoiler)
he ran out of water I was like "ha! I saw that episode of Avatar- time for some bloodbending!" Then I was like "... geez, how much blood is he losing right now? It would be funny if he passed out."
That was cool- the action in this series will probably be very entertaining, judging from this episode. It definitely did not feel the same (as the other series) to me, though I wasn't expecting it to. I'm not saying it looks like a bad show- if I didn't know anything about it and saw this episode I wouldn't immediately drop it or anything- it just didn't seem like anything too special to me. Admittedly, I am obsessed w/ the other series and not an enormous fan of the manga, but I am really trying to approach this like I would any other new series. I realize that is pretty impossible, but still...
As an action show w/ a little mystery, it doesn't seem bad so far, just a little too busy for my taste- it seems like a probably fun, slightly dark shounen show. Don't get me wrong- I do watch some other pretty juvenile shounens, but they're just not my favorite things and I think that's what this comes down to. Regardless of my expectations of a show, too many facefaults and repetitive jokes right off the bat always rubs me the wrong way (my problem wasn't that they were there, but that they were too frequent). Meh- maybe the next episode will surprise me
... probably not though. :P

oh- and (Vivis) I don't actually know about the "sprawling series" thing :sweat: That's really more of a hunch, since it's based on the manga. It seems highly unlikely to me that they'd have a limited number of episodes w/ that kind of story... and the desire to milk this series for dough.

Last edited:
Whoa that same guy did Reno and Kimura??? I can kinda hear the similarities with Kimura, but from what I remember Reno didn't sound anything like that (more high pitched). Side note - Reno and Rude were so pimp in Advent Children, they basically made that movie for me along with Tifa's church scene.

QFT

Reno was pretty average in voice tone if I remember right. It's been awhile since I've watched it though.

Judging it on its own, I liked it. Judging it next to the first series, I liked it.

:cow:

Honestly they should have just showed a picture of each character, said 3 sentences about his past and personality, then showed 3 pictures of different people calling edward short and him getting pissed off, then a 3 minute fight sequence that goes "ha! got u!", "ha! no you don't!" a hundred times, then ends with a Bleach-style ending of the 2 guys running at each other, both slash, both smile, then one is chopped in half. I don't understand how people who saw the first FMA can like this in comparison, and I don't understand how people who've never watched this would even bother continuing with it. All I'm hoping for is that ep2 onward is going to do a complete 180.

So, here's the deal: I don't care enough to actually watch this, but can someone please answer this? Does this follow the first series? Are they still Nazi rocket technicians in this one?

So can someone tell me exactly how this correlates to FMA's original anime? as far as story? Or does it ditch the original anime altogether and go with the manga?

So, here's the deal: I don't care enough to actually watch this, but can someone please answer this? Does this follow the first series? Are they still Nazi rocket technicians in this one?

This story won't be a remake of the first, it will depart at 5(if they will actually start the real storty). Around the same time the manga and anime went different ways(please not, episode 5 is my guess here)
The most likely reasons for a remake are:
1: Money
2: Complaints by the community about wanting the manga story animated. You can check it all over the net, a lot of people wanted that(including me)
The most logical thing to expect then is, that this was an introducing episode, for the people not familiar with FMA, and that it will closely follow the manga.

As some stated it might go a lot faster than the manga goes. Reason for this is that some characters that appear in the OP won't appear in the manga till chapter 50 etc. Ad even then, are unknown.

Does the animation look the same as the first?

Yes and No. Some looks the same and some look completely different. I personally think that in the long run, this'll have the better animation, especially once epic fight scenes come out.

One more question:

Why won't they let this despicably horrible series die, as we all know it should?

...sorry if that's a bit of a leading question...

One more question:

Why won't they let this despicably horrible series die, as we all know it should?

...sorry if that's a bit of a leading question...

You would be the 1 in 1 million that would hate FMA. I enjoyed it as did most other people because the story is really good. Even if it didn't meet your standards, there's no reason to bash it for no reason, especially when you have yet to finish the first series. The first series got really good after the point you dropped it at :p

Well, I don't like going on rant's but... okay, that's not true.

You would be the 1 in 1 million that would hate FMA.

Well, most anime fans have terrible taste in anime. Uh... present company excluded... :sweat:

I enjoyed it as did most other people because the story is really good.

No, see, it wasn't. This show feels like it's being told by some five-year-old with ADHD who just snorted a shitload of cocaine. The show's creators must have an intense fear of telling an ongoing story. What I'm trying to say is that it feels like right when a storyline in being focused on the show SLAMS on the breaks and veers off into another story. I'm watching it and it's like, "oh, okay... this guy has a scar on his head and he's killing alchemists, this is interesting, let's see where this- WHAT THE FUCK!? Where did he go? They were just focusing on him, and now, without resolving ANYTHING, they're moving on to some story about homunculi! Well... okay. Let's watch this. Maybe they'll finally tell us what they hell these things are and why they're always- GODDAMMIT! Why won't you explain anything!? WHY! AHHH! Why won't you tell a story to it's logical conclusion! Why do you torment me, you goddamn cocksucking writers! Why do people like this show!? Can't they see that these characters are NOT the original, brilliant creations everyone thinks they are? They're the same manic-depressive anime caricatures who flit between deathly serious and zany comedy! PICK A FUCKING GENRE! OOOOOOOOHHHHH!!! They had something bad happen in their past! BIG FUCKING DEAL! And fuck these State Alchemists! FUCK EM'! They're even more stereotypical than Ed and Al! You know who I mean. Mustang and that gay mustashioed fellow. and whoever else was there. Oh yeah! The guy who dies! What's his name... This show is SHIT! SHIIIIIIIIIITTTT!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!! And you know what the worst part is ? You wanna know? It could have been good. The whole alchemy thing is a nice set-up for a show. But no. NOOOO!!! You can't just tell a story about a fantastical world, and some alchemists and shit. No. You need to add all this shit about humunguloid or whatever the shit they're called and that bitch with the scar and the comedy episodes and some war with Itchy-Balls or something. Fuck you writers! FUCK YOU! ROT IN HELL!"

So yeah... that's what I said while watching this.

Even if it didn't meet your standards, there's no reason to bash it for no reason, especially when you have yet to finish the first series. The first series got really good after the point you dropped it at :p

Oh ho ho... don't talk with me about finishing it. I gave this, this... POOPY show 28 episodes! If this show can't get me interested after... what? Ten hours? Then it doesn't deserve my attention.

animation:
I think that the animation looks fairly different (the character design, the backgrounds, the coloring, ett). There are about 5x as many facefaults or visual gags/minute as the last show... which I have a feeling is what lagore might be asking about (?)

Lagore-
Your inability to pay attention to a very well-constructed, sound story enough to see how it all fits together isn't a fault of the show that you didn't even bother finishing. Don't get me wrong- it's very complex, but not difficult to understand. I can't even think of a show that ties everything* together as well as FMA does- it's quite impressive actually.
As for switching genres, you're way off-base. No, the exact same mood isn't maintained for the entire time (read: the writing is dense and not boring), but it doesn't change gears out of nowhere either. A certain sad, sinister element underlies most of the show and the light moments (which I wouldn't describe as zany comedy) make it both more unsettling and realistic (if it was obvious, pure tragedy 100% of the time, it would lessen the impact of the characters and plot development). As for the characters, the primaries are extremely well-developed and not nearly as simplistic as you're making them out to be. I'd answer more specifically, but your vague, whiney rant doesn't convey much that begs for a response, just attention... which is I'm guessing what you wanted anyway.

Last edited:
After watching the first ep I was a little disappointed and quite pleased at the same time. I think this is because as a first ep for any series it was quite good and maybe I was expecting better just because on how good the whole first series was.

As for it not explaining things fully yet, I don't think thats a problem as those that already know whats going on... well know and those that don't I'm sure are quite interested in finding out what all the vagueness is about.

I'am having no problem with the quality of animation but rather the style seems a little screwed at times. I find myself being fine with it one secound then hating the next... any one else getting this?

I miss the equivalent exchange intro part:crying:

Lagore-
Your inability to pay attention to a very well-constructed, sound story enough to see how it all fits together isn't a fault of the show that you didn't even bother finishing. Don't get me wrong- it's very complex, but not difficult to understand. I can't even think of a show that ties everything* together as well as FMA does- it's quite impressive actually.
As for switching genres, you're way off-base. No, the exact same mood isn't maintained for the entire time (read: the writing is dense and not boring), but it doesn't change gears out of nowhere either. A certain sad, sinister element underlies most of the show and the light moments (which I wouldn't describe as zany comedy) make it both more unsettling and realistic (if it was obvious, pure tragedy 100% of the time, it would lessen the impact of the characters and plot development). As for the characters, the primaries are extremely well-developed and not nearly as simplistic as you're making them out to be. I'd answer more specifically, but your vague, whiney rant doesn't convey much that begs for a response, just attention... which is I'm guessing what you wanted anyway.

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Don't be mad at me Alice...

I was just trying to explain why I didn't like it. And can everyone please stop telling me to finish it? I am NOT going to finish a show that I don't like. I gave it 28 fucking episodes! That's longer than most series I watch! But I stuck with it, wishing and hoping that one day it would entertain me.

Now, let me take away all merit from everything I just said by saying this:

This wasn't a bad show. I just didn't like it personally. You see, to me, there is a difference between "good" and "finding something entertaining." You see, I didn't find FLCL or Ghost in the Shell entertaining, but logically I can tell that they had quite a few good points, and I can understand why some people would like them. I feel the same way about Fullmetal Alchemist. I found nothing entertaining about it, but I can see why some people might like it.

So please don't be mad at me, Alice... I love you... :crying:

We have this on cable and is a simulcast with Japan! How cool is that, seems like animax is getting good. So far the anime is interesting, but definitley differs in animation to the first, well seeing that i'll get to watch his weekly on tv, might as well finish it.

seeing how this is playing out. how far do you think s new people to fma should watch and start the new one?

Back