Fruits Basket (New)

Discussion in 'Currently Airing Anime' started by Zed60K, Jan 21, 2019.

1. ShinShini

ShinShini Well-Known Member

Well, that'd be longer than I anticipated.
    Now I wonder if they'll try to do it in one go or if they'll split up the seasons. It has a fairly high production value, I don't know if they could keep that up for so long.

2. EternalYumeLove

EternalYumeLove Well-Known Member

The manga has 23 volumes (136 chapters). The pacing is similar to the old version of the anime, and that one had 26 episodes and covered 6 volumes of the manga (36 chapters). So, my prediction is that it'll have 70-75 episodes. I wish they could release the number of episodes already!

3. OneCraftyLady

OneCraftyLady Well-Known Member

Episode 5:

*Chants* Give me Momiji, Give me Momiji!!!

I love the flashbacks of Tohru and her mom. I'm excited to see more of them since this reboot is covering more material than the last one.

I love her grandpa. "They are just unpleasant people" XD

<3 loving this. It's like a weekly dose of the warm fuzzies.

Still ready for Momiji lol Maybe the next one XD

4. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

Considering the subtitle for the English version I'm watching is season 1, I'd say this is almost definitely going to be broken into multiple seasons.

This show is one of those cases where I think emotion definitely trumps logic.
    There's nothing about the plot of this episode that isn't stupid. Like the mother interrogating Toru and admitting she hired a private investigator because her closeted son wants to be a cop is beyond the pale of just being an asshole relative. The brothers coming to the rescue and Toru realizing she wanted to live with the Soma's that badly all in one episode is super ridiculous too. Yet, grandpa being so baldly honest and all the scenes of Rat and Cat arguing are so damn compelling and cute that I'm willing to forgive all the flaws in the story just to get to the emotional impact scenes.

Even if those kids were trying to be mean Toru is a much cuter rice ball than she has any right to be.

5. ShinShini

I hope it'll be divided into multiple seasons. I love it so far, but I don't know if I have enough love for straight 1 1/2 years without breaks.

6. trottolina

trottolina Well-Known Member

Episode 5:
    I was left quite cold by this episode.
    I just couldn’t suspend my disbelief enough that Tohru’s guardians would be allowed act this way. At least during the first episode the whole “living in a tent” situation was presented as a fait accompli, but here we’re put right into the discussion and situation. This felt like a box that had to be checked and then forgotten about, so that we can get on with the rest of the story.

There were some nice moments in this odd episode nonetheless. Gramps Honda acknowledging his family are awful, and confirming that he loves them nonetheless, was special.

7. Demonskid

Demonskid Active Member

Just caught up in prep for todays episode. (the last few weeks have been hectic so I couldn't watch)

The feelings... I was laughing and crying on Episode 5...

knoxyal and EternalYumeLove like this.
  8. Nitroglycerin

Nitroglycerin Forum Moderator

The perks of having a terrible memory is that watching this is like watching it for the first time again.

9. Saeryen

Saeryen Well-Known Member

Episodes 5 and 6 were beautiful, just as the others have been.

Bunny Momiji is CUTE! I already commented on how adorable I thought the animals were, but Momiji I think is my favorite. Bunnies are one of my favorite animals (the other is cats), and that adorable little yellow bunny made my heart go “Awwww.”

I love how they’re building up Akito, it makes me excited for the character’s appearance to Tohru.

Uo and Hana are the bestest. They are like Tohru’s sisters, always looking out for her.

10. Sailnir

Sailnir New Member

Bravo Grandpa! Bravo!

11. EternalYumeLove

Episode 6:

Lovely episode! Tohru is so cute and precious... I love how caring and thankful she is about everything despite what she went through! Her friends are wonderful! Love the episode!

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  12. hell0emi

hell0emi Well-Known Member

Beautiful. I just adore this. So much better than the old version!

13. MythicalTurkey

MythicalTurkey Well-Known Member

Oh
    I
    fucking,
    APPROVE of this turn of events.

I don't even feel bad about making the nagisa comparisons now.
    Hey this rabbit kid is cringey can he get punted?

knoxyal and EternalYumeLove like this.
    Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 12:37 AM
  14. knoxyal

knoxyal Database Moderator

This show is therapy :> I need a daily dose of it.
    Her relatives are assholes but I can’t bring myself to hate them because of granpa‘s words: “They may say mean things, but even so, they are family to me.”

But my heart throbbed with pain at Tohru’s response: “I’m so grateful to live in a proper house. I couldn’t ask for more”.

Then comes the rescue.

Tohru is so sweet <3 and it’s nice that she now has friends and a new family that she feels
    at home with.

15. Saeryen

Saeryen Well-Known Member

Why are they subtitling Hatori’s nickname as “Harry?” I’m reading the manga, it’s “Ha’ri.” Harry sounds like Harry Potter lol

Episode 7
    I knew this would make me a little weepy. Poor, poor Hatori and Kana. That was not fair

16. EternalYumeLove

Episode 7:

An emotional episode once again! This anime is really touching my heart and emotions! I feel bad for Hatori... he just accepted his fate and wished for Kana's happiness over his own. Love this anime so much!

Saeryen, hell0emi and ValkyrieNight like this.
  17. Ebonyslayer

Ebonyslayer Well-Known Member

Ep. 7,
    damn, this episode had the sad feels. Hatori went through so much from erasing Kana's memory. This anime really knows how to touch your emotions, that's all I gotta say!

18. hell0emi

hell0emi Well-Known Member

Crying. That is all.

Cried when I read it, cried watching the original, cried tonight. :’(

They’re doing such an amazing job.

19. ShinShini

On a side-note, I expected to hate the bunny, but he's actually a cute bun-bun. I like him.

20. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

Episode 7:

A pretty good episode that shows the tragedy of being an inner member of the Soma family. Hatori has it particularly rough because he has to live in close proximity to the woman he loves, but she's forever out of his reach. Also, he has to deal with people thinking Shigure is his BFF and that probably irritates him to no end.

It's a good object less for Tohru, but we know none of this is going to make that girl back down.