Fruits Basket 1st Season

Glad they are rebooting this! It was one of the first mangas I ever read, and the anime only covered about half? of the manga. Super pumped for the updated animation!

I had a kyo hat and everything, lol

31XD%2Bq%2BKOfL.jpg

Also, @pureply
I'm digging your avatar choice XD

Kyo was always my favourite! I also named one of my pet rats after him years ago. :love:

so after watching the first episode I felt compelled to share. to anyone reading this: if you are not aware as of yet, please look into the 13 moon year. suffice it to say: the timing of the calendar year is correct based on the revolution of our planet, however it is incorrect based on the movement of the moon, which as I am sure you can imagine has an affect of us, much like the tides in the ocean, as our bodies are water to a large percentage. thus, last summer I realized (I have only been watching anime seriously for a few years), the story of the cat and the rat is in fact a story of the twelve month calendar prevailing over the thirteen moon calendar. much in the way all the ancient human stories are allegories for actual events. furthermore, after thinking about it a little more, I wondered if disney and sanrio are indeed echoes of this pattern...

Fruits Basket was truly anime clubcore back in the day. I wonder if this remake will match the reach of the original.

1:

This was essentially a shot-for-shot recreation of episode 1 of the 2001 series, but with more detailed character designs and an actual ED sequence instead of just a montage sequence of the past episode. They also gave Yuki a seiyuu that doesn't make him sound like he's been on estrogen ever since weaning. I think this is just a strict upgrade overall. Good job.

Last edited:
Oh man, this is actually a good adaptation so far and I really hope it stays that way... Especially since my fave doesn't show up for a while.

Also Tooru is GOOD and I won't stand for anyone who claims she's a dense shoujo protagonist because she isn't, dammit!

Episode 1:

I wasn't enthralled by it. I wasn't particularly drawn to any of the characters or contrived scenarios. It was a well made first episode with a very typical shoujo setup. The art and animation were nice and all the voices seem to fit the characters which wasn't the case in the older version. I'll keep watching because it's something easy to watch with my wife.

Ep 1: Dubbed (I'll be watching the subbed version later)

For those who haven't read the manga or seen the first/original anime, slight spoilers are inside this spoiler tag. Read at your own risk.
For the actual anime, I was happy to see the hat was there. It's an important item for later on down the road, and it was something they didn't add in the first anime. Also, I saw they had Kyo's beads the right color this time. The color of the beads are important and it was nice to see them the right color.

As for the Dub changes from the original anime to this one.

Tohru calling Yuki by his family name and not his given name. In the original anime dub, they had her call him by his given name throughout the whole anime, which kind of ruined the joke when Yuki caught a cold and passed out. Now that Tohru is calling him "Soma" that joke should be safe!

Also, Tohru's grandfather. In the manga he confuses her with her mother often and calls Tohru by her mothers name. In the original anime's dub, that didn't happen, so it was nice to hear him call her Kyoko in the new anime.

Uo and Hana, new voice actors but I really liked how they sounded. Kyoko, Tohru's mom also sounded good. Can't wait to hear all the other new VA's. (Especially Akito's)

Shigure sounded older but I really liked how it sounded. Yuki's voice as well sounded slightly older but Eric tried to make it sound like Yuki use to sound. Tohru sounded the same. Kyo only had a small part at the end but he too sounded like he did way back when.

The first episode was a really nice watch, I can't wait for the next episode! The memories!

For a long time I was interested in the manga since I had heard the original anime cut out a lot. I know this season just started, but has anyone noticed any notable differences that would incentive someone like me to start watching? Though the answer could just be the manga is always better.

Fruits Basket was truly anime clubcore back in the day. I wonder if this remake will match the reach of the original.

1:

This was essentially a shot-for-shot recreation of episode 1 of the 2001 series, but with more detailed character designs and an actual ED sequence instead of just a montage sequence of the past episode. They also gave Yuki a seiyuu that doesn't make him sound like he's been on estrogen ever since weaning. I think this is just a strict upgrade overall. Good job.
I absolutely agree with everything you've said. Even if the rest of the series becomes a shot for shot, it's still fun to re-watch it and look forward to more!

Decided to watch this dubbed, as that felt right for this series. Honestly, watching it made me a bit emotional. Fruits Basket is one of my favorite manga series, and I loved the old anime too. This was such a nostalgic burst of joy. It's been a while since I read or watched anything related to this series, so to fall back in love so quickly was a delight. It feels good to check back in with Tohru and the gang after so long.

The episode felt like an improvement on everything. Better visuals and voice acting. I was pretty ambivalent about the English VAs signing back on, but hearing all of them was pretty awesome, especially Laura Bailey.

The first episode did feel a bit more sombre this time around, but I think that largely has to do with them having the benefit of knowing what happens and having full knowledge regarding all of the characters and their motivations.
Looking forward to watching more of this.

Episode 1:

I wasn't enthralled by it. I wasn't particularly drawn to any of the characters or contrived scenarios. It was a well made first episode with a very typical shoujo setup. The art and animation were nice and all the voices seem to fit the characters which wasn't the case in the older version. I'll keep watching because it's something easy to watch with my wife.

Yeah as you already know, I'm not a big fan of this show either like many other people are and don't feel compelled at all to pick up a new version of it. The original series got too melodramatic at points for me. >_>

I didn’t see the original anime, so I was excited about this based on the manga only. I mean, the second to last panel has defined relationship goals for me ever since...

I mean this - don’t open unless you know the very end of the story...
2q1f0cy.jpg

I want to go out for walks hand in hand with my hubbie when we’re grandparents too

So I just finished up the original and watched the first episode of the new version.

So I watched the dub for both versions. Audio wise, I did like the voice acting a lot better. I don't necessarily know why because all of the voice actors are the same. It may be because the pronunciation is more close to the actual Japanese pronunciation. I do like Laura Baily's voice acting a lot more so far in this one versus the original. The animation while it's very pretty, I don't think it fits as well with the comedic side of the show, so far. That may be just me though. I thought the whole thing with Yuki and the mice was a lot more creepy than I remember. Honestly, the animation reminds me of the animation style for Clean Freak. So far though, the first episode is a lot like the original which is to be expected.

I'll give it a shot and see how much I like the show. I might switch to the sub too.

Uwaaaa natsukashiiiii :))) The shoujo feels. I used to watch a lot of shoujo when I was younger...

Ep1 - I liked it.
I think the MC's VA suits her character. It's the right kind of kawaii, imo.
But Yuki's VA is done by a guy :o

The ed song/animation is so awwwwww <333

Last edited:
Episode 1:

I'm real damn anxious about this one ya'll. I LOVED the original and looking back at the past work of both studios I'm anxious about how they're going to do this. Don't fuck up Fruits Basket guys...please...

OK so, I wasn't fond of the new character art from the screenshots I saw but seeing them in motion I'm starting to like them more. So far everyone is adorable.

I am SO HAPPY WITH THIS. so far everything is as it should be all the characters look great. Fkn Kyo looked dope. That puff of orange smoke looked a little off but w/e.

EEEEE I'm so happy ^_^

Back