FLCL: Progressive

I like how sub purists will still ignore this even though it literally has people speaking all different languages. There were some japanese guys speaking japanese in this episode with subs. It's like this show was made to be english dubbed. But that doesn't matter cuz muh subs

Anyways this is delightful for me. Confusing, a bit dark, very fooly and cooly. I'm not afraid to call this one of the best things airing right now. I really like it.

I really like this season so far, although it doesn't feel as weird or confusing as the first season. This one is much easier to follow in my opinion. Then again, it's only been two episodes so far, so that might change later on.

Episode 3.
tumblr_pag9ozKHcr1rc7ss0o1_1280.jpg

Even when encased in cement, you gotta do the Gainax Pose. It's the law.

...Also, like...ouch. Those were drills in her brain...

Will definitely be rewatching this when it's over for a lot of reasons. Not sure what's up with the headphones but rewatching the original recently has helped me realize sort of what's going on in general. Lots of great moments in this episode and I'm slowly realizing this is definitely one of the best things airing at the moment.

Who would have thought.

that girl with her flower pot was just over the top enough at the reveal to be funny rather than annoying, and it was unexpected. I thought she was liek being mind controlled by the flower pot or something. Wonder what's the deal with it. That and MC's headphones, are really strange. and her dreams might be a side-effect from that.

The fact that she's being targeted by haruko and that kamina lady, AND has these weird dreams and headphones must mean that there's another force at work that probably wants to control her and keep haruko from "getting into her head" so to speak.

Just a theory.

I've missed haruko it seems, watching her antics and weirdly expressive character is so much fun :D

I just noticed the first episode available "On Demand" so I finally got around to watching it, and boy are most of my fears confirmed. (Hopefully the following episodes go in a completely different direction)

There were just way to many similarities to the first series, with some scenes and dialogue matching exactly. Add to that the group of boys, where the two supporting characters are Masume and Manabe to a T, as well as the mother being a mashup of Miyaji and Kamon. This all just feels like a way to cater to the people who, if this played in a theater, would start cheering when they used a song from the original or when Haruko arrives (which errr they kind of did for us in the series itself) because thats what they believe they are supposed to do.

There were one or two areas, that if they follow, could make the series really good, such as who is Hidomi's mother and what is her connection to the first series. But they could also easily fall into a trap where the show is pure fan service and plot points completely disregard the original, such as making Haruko pull robots out of the children's heads just for kicks, as opposed to her original goal of finding Atomsk.

I think what made the original great was within the madness was a great love story, and if they just go for wacky randomness we can see this was just a money grab.

I just noticed the first episode available "On Demand" so I finally got around to watching it, and boy are most of my fears confirmed. (Hopefully the following episodes go in a completely different direction)

There were just way to many similarities to the first series, with some scenes and dialogue matching exactly. Add to that the group of boys, where the two supporting characters are Masume and Manabe to a T, as well as the mother being a mashup of Miyaji and Kamon. This all just feels like a way to cater to the people who, if this played in a theater, would start cheering when they used a song from the original or when Haruko arrives (which errr they kind of did for us in the series itself) because thats what they believe they are supposed to do.

There were one or two areas, that if they follow, could make the series really good, such as who is Hidomi's mother and what is her connection to the first series. But they could also easily fall into a trap where the show is pure fan service and plot points completely disregard the original, such as making Haruko pull robots out of the children's heads just for kicks, as opposed to her original goal of finding Atomsk.

I think what made the original great was within the madness was a great love story, and if they just go for wacky randomness we can see this was just a money grab.
Going from the fact that they've shown atomsk in the ED and that they've actually alluded to it three times i think, i dont think they're abandoning that original goal. But i agree it could have gone that way. So far im satisfied with how it's coming along.

EP 4
WTF? Will have to rewatch the 1st 4 eps. this week. I got the headphone drills, but got lost on the other sub-plots halfway through. But Progressive seem to have more action than the org.

Oops, I fucked up on the on the eps. Sorry, all! But still like it!

Last edited:

this is the reason anime exists.
the energy to this show, the continuity, the craziness of FLCL and more coherence than before... I just don't know what to say. This episode was so much damn fun. This is what anime should be, goddamn FUN. These fuckers making this know exactly how to make an entertaining show and I love it.

All that from the kid on the pirate ship merging with what was going on with cat ear girl, all the suspense built up from her condition, still so much we dont know but...
my god, i just had a huge fucking smile on my face all throughout this.

9/10 for this show so far.

@Zed60K @Schizm @GenSan @OneCraftyLady @Nicknames

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE EGGS.

I'm LONELY.

the energy to this show, the continuity, the craziness of FLCL and more coherence than before... I just don't know what to say. This episode was so much damn fun. This is what anime should be, goddamn FUN. These fuckers making this know exactly how to make an entertaining show and I love it.

All that from the kid on the pirate ship merging with what was going on with cat ear girl, all the suspense built up from her condition, still so much we dont know but...

I'm LONELY.

I'm not taking on anything else until more shows from spring die. I'll start this when I start my summer picks. So I'll be here you just gotta wait.

I'm LONELY.

I should probably get on this. Looks infinitely more interesting than Alternative already.

EDIT: @MythicalTurkey Dude, this is dubbed only so far and the subbed version has been pushed back to November. I guess I'll wait?

Last edited:
so apparently, I didn't notice this before but Progressive has the same director as the original while Alternative has some totally different guy i've never heard before. Well... that explains that.

Can't wait for ep 5 today, the PV made the artstyle look fantastico.

so apparently, I didn't notice this before but Progressive has the same director as the original while Alternative has some totally different guy i've never heard before. Well... that explains that.
Kazuto Arai is the director of this season. The trailers just listed Tsurumaki as the supervisor, so not sure why he's listed as the director on this site. This interview has a part where the I.G. owner talks about how Tsurumaki didn't want to direct the project since it was a product of his era and he told everything he had to tell. 4:31 goes to part with the owner talking about getting new blood to lead FLCL and cutting to Arai and Suzuki shortly after.

I recommend watching the whole video. Found it pretty interesting back when I saw it. Has plenty of cool info, like Oshii originally being considered as a director after Tsurumaki turned down the position.

Kazuto Arai is the director of this season. The trailers just listed Tsurumaki as the supervisor, so not sure why he's listed as the director on this site. This interview has a part where the I.G. owner talks about how Tsurumaki didn't want to direct the project since it was a product of his era and he told everything he had to tell. 4:31 goes to part with the owner talking about getting new blood to lead FLCL and cutting to Arai and Suzuki shortly after.

I recommend watching the whole video. Found it pretty interesting back when I saw it. Has plenty of cool info, like Oshii originally being considered as a director after Tsurumaki turned down the position.
Ok, that's actually way fucking better. And makes a lot of sense. Kazuto Arai is amazing, I can see the influence. Thanks so much man!

5 was incredible, all the artstyle changes and creativity in this are really keeping me on my toes. I have no complaints whatsoever, i am floored.

I can't contain myself with this show, it's so incredibly fun. If this keeps up through the last episode, I won't even mind giving it a 10/10.

Episode 5.
In any other show, I'd consider
a secret government agency using teenage horniness to power a giant robot, that is also made of theme park rides, to attack an upturned factory resembling an iron
just incredibly odd...

Last edited:
Back