Fire Force

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by Zed, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Hemfrik

Hemfrik Well-Known Member

Well, that is some strange censorship in the ED. Might as well just cut it out, it's like two seconds.

On a more positive note, it's nice to see a show with three female fan service stations where every one of them looks older than twelve.

2. Zed

Zed Database Moderator

Posted by Zed on Jul 30, 2019
    Episode 03

Joker saves the show with his sexy voice and explosions. I guess I won't "stall" the show for now.

3. worknboy

worknboy Well-Known Member

At this point, love the foley and background cgi. The studio had fun with that. The char ani is like Soul Eater and Blue Exorcist in a sense. Give it a chance. Compared to most of the season it is better than robots or ... Come on flame feet jets and spin kicks? What could be better for a superhero?

howtoprocrastinate and Gozza like this.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  4. mdchan

mdchan Well-Known Member

Episode 4

I'm starting to get really annoyed at how the show keeps throwing new characters at us without developing the ones in Division 8 first.
    To compare to a much older anime, Patlabor Mobile Police was all about developing the characters in Division 2 while they dealt with the "villain of the day" while slowly integrating the main plot until it came to a head. By then, we know much about both the police (even a couple members of Division 1) and the bad guys.

This show...can't seem to do that. We just got (at minimum) two new characters thrown at us with that succubus Division 5 leader and that blond-haired jerk who only showed up at the very end...neither of whom I remember the names of.
    Nor do I care about them.

In fact, I don't even remember the names of all the characters in Division 8. Does the Sister even have a name?

Speaking of, she seems to be very important to the plot (at least, that's the vibe I'm getting; even Succubus seemed to recognize her and it was the reason she withdrew). Granted, the "reveal" in this episode that she was at the site of the first Infernal wasn't even a "reveal" because that much could be gathered from the ending song.
    Heck, the ending song has given us more insight on her character than anything in the actual anime.

It's a standard in writing to develop the characters you first set up as your protagonists (even the ones surrounding the protagonist, aka the rest of Division 8 in this instance) before constantly tossing more and more characters into the mix.

I get that there seems to be some sort of huge secret within some of the Divisions, and something shady going on with them...but it's moving too quickly forward with the plot. The only characters I really care about are Shinra and Obi...because they're the only ones with character development.
    Okay, I like Maki as well because she's hilarious and actually really strong...so I guess her, too.

Everyone else is just sort of there to compliment the rest of the team (and Shinra).

I feel like when characters are introduced, if I can't name all of the characters in the intro song by the time the plot really starts to drop in (and it dropped in last episode), there's a problem with character development. At this point, the only reason I'm still watching is because the mysteries interest me.

Also, stupid and unnecessary fanservice again (can you even count that as fanservice? I mean, if you're going to do fanservice, then you might as well go all the way and show underwear). And it confirms that we have another shounen anime with another pervert as the protagonist. Not like that's anything unique. >.>
    Once again, it detracts from the situations. Yet another high-tension situation dissolved because of a (panty-less) panty shot. Come on.

5. worknboy

worknboy Well-Known Member

They just be stringing you along to tune next week. Thay gots that pattern down pat!

6. prico211

prico211 Member

Since episode 2 my confusion with this show has only increased. Now it's episode 4 and the fight with the Infernal really took it to a new level.
    • Why is it raining?
    • What happened to the bystanders that were supposed to be attacked?
    • I'm pretty sure a certain minor character was completely cut out for reasons I don't know.
    • The "panty shot" scene was just pointless...
    • Why was Squad 8's interaction with bubble gum douche done differently?
    There are some other things, but I'll just wait and see what happens with the episodes to come.

7. Naga

Naga Well-Known Member

Posted by Naga on Aug 6, 2019
    Episode 1-4

I'm enjoying this a lot.

I think it's a quality shounen, safely operating withing well established tropes but with an interesting tone and elegant directing. Pacing is good and its aesthetics feels fresh, even though it's not the only show this season obsessed with nuns. You can easily see a lot of Soul Eater here. It's a weird mishmash of firefighters and holy orders, organizations, and the usual, but I feel like enough care was put into constructing the world that it all works out in the end. Its antics are not annoying, and it's moving forward on a really healthy pace. It's actually charming, and I'm definitely sticking with this one this season!

8. niotabunny

niotabunny Well-Known Member

I'm actually enjoying this one, could be why Funimation already started dubbing it and showing it on Toonami, but can be watched on CR still. from what I can tell, as a fan of pyrokinesis I rather liked how they ran with the idea of using fire to fight fire, quite literally here. I feel bad for the one dubbed devil, however that sword and cat one... I'm just thankful they didn't pour out that whole nonsense of wasting several episodes with some sort of rookie battle, or person against person, fake scenario, etc. I see that overly played these days, glad Joker was there to ruin the boredom.

9. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

Episode 4.
    I would not wanna live in the 5th's jurisdiction.
    Crazy masochist lady and her creepy trio of weird firefighter S&M clones. Creepy.

10. randomredneck

Episode 5.
    It's not a good sign that this episode was like all action and I never once felt excited. Like, there was no big "YEAH!" moment.
    Even the cool bullet redirection trick just came off as meh. And Arthur is starting to get on my nerves. How the fuck do you not notice you're holding your sword in the wrong hand?
    Meh.

11. Demonskid

Demonskid Well-Known Member

Caught up on this one.

I like the show itself. But some of the characters are just MEH...

Hinawa, Obi and Maki are my favorites. Don't care for the others... yet.

Gozza and howtoprocrastinate like this.
  12. dreadjon

dreadjon New Member

It's all too quick, apart from Arthur's fight; which has it's own issues, there's no time for tension to build during any of the encounters before they're resolved. We also have no idea how strong the relative characters are so you're going into each fight blind.

This video is about the hobbit but all of the points made here apply to fire force episode 5

13. VernBFF

VernBFF New Member

shinra's power is like sangi's but its hotter

14. randomredneck

Episode 6.
    ...What the fuck is wrong with these people?
    She was holding someone hostage and tried killing the guy coming to her rescue, and everyone is all smiles and forgiveness like it never happened? What in the flying fuck? How is this crazy bitch not fired for this? What kind of chucklefuck is running this organization? Cripes.

Zed, 8MangaMan, g3data and 2 others like this.
  15. pixiemelia

pixiemelia New Member

This show would be so much better without the fan service. This is such a cool concept, but it’s extremely underwhelming. The pacing is all off, too. I’m gonna continue watching to see if it improves, but I don’t have high hopes for this anime.

The animation and style is very pretty and is what drew me in, but a cool art style really can’t save a show that degrades women and also is just so all over the place. I give my props to the animators but the storywriters should consider what they’re going for.

16. Hemfrik

Hemfrik Well-Known Member

Character actions and motivations may be sketchy at best, but the boobage is on point and the world building and central fantastical elements are intriguing enough to carry this a while further.

However, while I haven't exactly done the math, I absolutely refuse to belive that there is a velocity at which a lead bullet to the face can carry enough force to render someone unconcious without penetrating.

howtoprocrastinate likes this.
  17. Esper26

Esper26 Member

It's a shonen. It's a common trope even your enemy become your friend.

Personally this anime won't stop giving me Trinity Blood vibes. Which makes me ask is this going to be one season with a less than satisfying ending. You this was made by the same people that made Soul Eater.

18. Jamie

Jamie Well-Known Member

Episode 6
    He punched Bitchy McCunt so hard he knocked her ass into a flashback.

Pretty much all I wanted from the episode was for her to be served some humble pie.

19. LordAinz

LordAinz Well-Known Member

Soul eater is one of only four anime that I've given 5 stars, but honestly this just isn't grabbing me. The premise is good, but the characters are either bland or annoying. I mightgive it another episode or two I guess, but right now I'm kind of forcing myself to watch it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  20. 8MangaMan

8MangaMan Well-Known Member

The first episode gave me high hopes. It was pretty and seemed well directed.

episodes 2 - 4
    dashed those hopes with spotty animation and some of the worst direction and script writing I've seen in a while and unwelcomed fanservice with the character whose causing completely aware of a "lucky lewd" troupe she is... which imo makes it all the more dumb. There were scenes that looked to jump from point A to point C but shinra did a cool breakdance attack so at least some action scenes will still be entertaining.

5 and 6
    looked great and didn't have nearly as messy direction as the last few episodes, but still wasn't great. Wasn't a fan of that self proclaimed title Shinra gave himself and then he goes on to keep saying it even during his final attack which dampened that for me. Also there whole squad is to find and stop other fire squads from doing dirty shit but they just let them go at the end since she is the sisters only friend. Oh and make the baddy fall in love with our MC too cuz why not. I have a strange hunch that the next fire squad baddies they fight won't get off so easily since they don't have a fanservice masochistic lady as their captain. I did enjoy the little bit with captain Obi at the end due to how well shot lit looked. If it was just the joke of him missing out on the fight with subpar effort in the shot I doubt I would have found it that good.