Final Fantasy

THype for the remaster of FFXII coming this summer! I watched the husbando (the real life one :laugh:) play it forever ago so it'll be nice to get through it myself.
Oh, right, I had forgot about that one. Seems like most of the back catalogue is ending up on PCs as well, which is good for me, a terrible person whose TV is in storage.
You should try FFXIII then, that games does everything possible to slap your hand away from the controls so you don't nerd up its super important story with your incompetent game playing. It seems like they really wanted to make a super long movie that you had to pay $60 for.
Nice. To be fair to XII, the gambit system is what you make of it, so you can still do everything manually if you want. It's just hard to not use the option when it's there.
How I picture Hasse, to other FF fans:

Had to do eet, this thread can't go without the most glorious moment in FF.
I think he has a bit more gusto and conviction than me, but otherwise it's pretty spot on. And sadly it's not as funny to annoy people with these days since FFXII is mostly forgotten rather than maligned.

wasn't there some mini boss that if you used the FFXII gambit system you could just walk away and have your dudes fight it for hours on their own or something? i forget what the point of it was. probably for a drop item or just for xp

wasn't there some mini boss that if you used the FFXII gambit system you could just walk away and have your dudes fight it for hours on their own or something? i forget what the point of it was. probably for a drop item or just for xp
Yeah, it had like 50 million hit points, and almost all attacks cap out at 9999 damage, so it was death by a thousand cuts.

longest battle ever for sure XD

i remember being super sick at the time so i was sleeping on the floor just watching that for hours XD

According to the wiki, it takes at least 54 minutes to beat, but that's if you really cheese it. At least you can use gambits, unlike that marathon boss in FFXI that took like 18 hours to beat.

I see my 2 favorite FF's not being represented soo, I shall say something nice for them.

FF8: My first FF. The graphics may be terrible now but it has an extremely great soundtrack, the open world freedom was epic, the list of summons was huge. It had so much to do and the adventure and story portion matched it all for me. This was one of my earliest introductory games to gaming and just changed gaming for me.

FF10: My favorite FF for a few reasons. It paved the way graphically for the FF series for one, this was the revolutionary turn and a major advancement. Two - Blitzball.... I took it so serious it could be a stand alone game, clocked over 80 hours on just that. I thought the characters and adventure/story were really strong too. The sphere grid system was quite an interesting and fun way to develop your characters too, if I recall, it was the first breakthrough to having a more customizable approach to what character does what.

FFTactics: Special mention since it is one of the most forgotten. The experience was just so different.

I myself am waiting off on FF15 DLC for a sale, or till the whole package is out and hear from others how much content is truly added in all that, and how much/little fun it actually adds. While DLC is fine, a lot of companies are really putting this concept to shame by adding like 2 hours of content for $10, or it wasn't as good as advertised. Can't say that just being able to play the other characters would do it for me, I didn't really like the cast that much

For fun: I have never played FF7 past 1-2 hours yet, despite owning the PS1 copy, and the Steam copy.

FF10: My favorite FF for a few reasons. It paved the way graphically for the FF series for one, this was the revolutionary turn and a major advancement. Two - Blitzball.... I took it so serious it could be a stand alone game, clocked over 80 hours on just that. I thought the characters and adventure/story were really strong too. The sphere grid system was quite an interesting and fun way to develop your characters too, if I recall, it was the first breakthrough to having a more customizable approach to what character does what.
I really disliked the Sphere grid, it's on rails, which I don't mind as such (FF9's character progression was on rails too), but it basically allowed anyone on your team to be anything. When you complete the grid, which isn't actually all that hard, every character is capable of every move set, bar summoning. So they say "look, you can have Tidus as a black mage, or Waka as a Tank", and actually, it's not really true. You can have that in the end game, but up until that point, you're just railroaded into whatever's next on the grid.

There's nothing wrong with EXP and levels, the sphere grid was unnecessary. A case of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Even worse is FFXIII's Crystarium.

I totally agree about the Sphere Grid. It was convoluted and only gave the illusion of being able to control what role your characters could play.

In general, while I still really like Final Fantasy X, it's also the point in the series where a lot of the flaws became more glaring, and it's only seemed to get worse with every game since, then. I haven't played XV, so I can't comment on that one, but XII is the only FF game I've sort of liked since X. XIII and all of it's sequels were pretty damn bad.

All personal tastes in the end. The unlocking feeling is what was satisfying vs standard leveling up for me. I never got anywhere close to unlocking even half per character.

They are bringing out FF12 remastered this summer for PS4. Might be worth a go.

I think everyone should play FF15 that likes FF, it is good, but far from perfect too. There were two major disappointing pieces. One was the lack summons included, and how rare it is to get them triggered. The animations were pretty epic once they do come. Summons were always a core component when I think about FF, so this was an oversight I'd say. The other thing that was disappointing was the graphics didn't seem as epic as advertised (on PS4 Regular). Still decent, but something from the advertised videos and images from a year or so prior to release just didn't match what I saw in the actual product.

The combat was a really nice change, although your ally AI is rather stupid at times. They also redid the most boring chapter of the game which ran into the flaws of FF13, I haven't gotten to try the remade portion. Definitely pick the game up though at some point. It is easily a 100+ game if you take the time to enjoy a lot of the content. There are even post game high level dungeons which I never got to, definitely tons of content and enjoyment for your $.

Breaking news! DLC EPISODE KENNY confirmed for release!

C8Q4uhCXsAUvzbB.jpg

https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/848097613760970752

https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/848098130130157568

!!!

I knew I caught all the fish in the game for a reason!!

Oooh, me likes this thread. My two favorite FFs would be...

FFIX: The story, the characters, the huge amount of equipment you had to chase, the Moogles. Everything about this game was so damn good by the time I played it. I actually liked VIII more than IX, didn't know what I was doing at the time. Zidane is one of the most iconic videogame characters for me (screw Cloud); I remember how Vivi's story used to hit you right in the feels. And how can I forget the chocobo sidequest, I spent hours and hours on those damn chocographs.
Only thing that needed improvement was the card game, boy that was one mess I never figured out.

FFXIII: Yeah yeah, I know what you are going to say, but XIII has the best (that is right THE best), battle system of all the FF I've played (all besides XI, XIV and XV). Sure, the first half of the game makes it look like "press X to win" system, but when you got to really explore it, and when you faced tough bosses or special enemies, you had to actually use your head and time the cycles of attacks very carefully. I believe XIII gave us the perfect blend between Turn-based and Action-oriented gameply in a RPG.
Everything else, well yeah, it kind of sucked. But I don't think XIII deserves all the hate it gets, imo, X has all the flaws XIII does, and people still love it somehow.

FFXIII: Yeah yeah, I know what you are going to say, but XIII has the best (that is right THE best), battle system of all the FF I've played (all besides XI, XIV and XV). Sure, the first half of the game makes it look like "press X to win" system, but when you got to really explore it, and when you faced tough bosses or special enemies, you had to actually use your head and time the cycles of attacks very carefully.

Half of a game is a long time to stop being shit. Ideally that's something you'd want to work out before the game's even released but better late than never

Half of a game is a long time to stop being shit. Ideally that's something you'd want to work out before the game's even released but better late than never
Yeah, I think the game's difficulty curve could've used an adjustment. I do think it got a little bit better on XIII-2, but I don't usually count sequels.

XIII-2 was SO easy though. XIII wasn't as easy but still easy. I can't speak for the last one cause we (husbando and I) honestly lost interest an hour into the game due to poor game play. We'll get around to it eventually but yeah.

BUT don't get me wrong I actually am on your side and like XIII a lot. I spent over 100+ hours playing it and no regrets!! Hell I'd put it in my top 5 Final Fantasy's for sure.

VI
XV
IV
XIII
X

I haven't played through XII or IX myself yet (IX I'm actually making my way through atm and I'm waiting for the remaster of XII this summer to play) but I have a hard time believing they can dethrone my list the way it is now. (Maybe last spot though :P)

I shoulda posted this earlier when it was actually happening XD
but did anyone else catch the Final Fantasy series relay done by the RPG Limit Break people? (april 7-10)

Speed runs have always fascinated me as long as I've played the game before.

Fun fact. It takes 75 hours to play through ALL main FF games!! that's kinda bonkers. so that's 1-10, X-2, XIII, XIII-2, XIII-LR, Type-O (for some reason), and XV. 17 games!!

VIII, IX, X, XII are the longest ones to play through by far.

Loved Final Fantasy VI and VIII the most, but I liked every single title up until X.
XV does not look appealing to me at all, but I might give it a try someday just to be able to judge the game in its entirety as a former FF fan. I guess I'm one of the few people (except the Japanese ones) that prefer Dragon Quest over Final Fantasy.

Back