Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works TV 2

what was the point of Saber in a wedding dress scene?
FireWalker said:
Saber being bound and helpless? That just doesn't make sense.

Well lets see what we know.
Caster said she used a command seal on Saber in the recent episode and Saber is resisting because she can resist 1 command seal.
Caster also said that "Your servant body cannot resits me". While Saber has her ass stuck up in the air.

From that I can assume Caster used a command seal to make Saber be a horny slave or something.

As for the wedding dress, maybe Caster has a wedding dress fetish.

I suppose using more command seals would end Sabers suffering and enable Caster to get what she wants, but Caster is a sadist, so whatever.

I liked the episode btw, I'm looking forward to the battle scenes because that's when the anime looks weally weally pwetty.

Let's just be honest. Saber is in that position for no other reason
than to temporarily take away her agency so Shiro can save her. The writing had to bend over backwards just to accomplish this because Saber was established as such a badass even with Shiro's shitty mana support so they gave Caster this hax Noble Orgasm that allows her to just do whatever the fuck she pleases. Actually I think that's a better name than rulebreaker, just call it the "Does whatever the fuck I want dagger."

If the anime is anything to game is one big wank power fantasy for everyone playing Shiro.

Let's just be honest. Saber is in that position for no other reason
than to temporarily take away her agency so Shiro can save her. The writing had to bend over backwards just to accomplish this because Saber was established as such a badass even with Shiro's shitty mana support so they gave Caster this hax Noble Orgasm that allows her to just do whatever the fuck she pleases. Actually I think that's a better name than rulebreaker, just call it the "Does whatever the fuck I want dagger."

If the anime is anything to game is one big wank power fantasy for everyone playing Shiro.

Pretty much all of this. The scene is in the VN because Nasu wrote this whole franchise with his hand firmly on his dick.

Episode 14:

Well, that was some backstory that I didn't give to sh**s about. Medea was a witch with some OP special move who betrayed her former master. I didn't need to know any of that. I just want to see Shirou and Rin save Saber. So yeah, the first 15 minutes were really boring to me.

Can't wait for next week's episode. There's gonna be a lot of fighting:/action smile:
Gilgamesh is an awesome character; He's like Gary Oak was turned into a heroic spirit. Question for the big Fate fans: Why does Illya look and sound like she's ten, when she's at least 16-17 years old?

My thoughts on episode 2.
It was mostly a flashback that wasn't in the original visual novel.
While it consumed large chunks of the episode, it wasn't bad and it was interesting to see for the 1st time who Casters original master was, the visual novel didn't go into so much detail.

After the flashback we have some lighthearted moments to soothe our hearts and calm our minds, then right when we settle down, Gilgamesh appears from out of the sky, screws people up and cuts off a head, an effective mood changer.

Since this series is presented so well I can enjoy it even when the pace is being slowed down by extra scenes that wasn't in the source material. Like 80% of this episode was original material and regardless this episode was good stuff and enjoyable as always.

Episode 14:

[Question for the big Fate fans: Why does Illya look and sound like she's ten, when she's at least 16-17 years old?

I'm not a big Fate fan, but I can pretty confidently say it's because every harem needs a loli and make no mistake Fate Stay/Night is a harem. The big difference in each route is which girl Shiro is romancing. I know Illya doesn't have her own route, but from her excitement over Shiro showing up I think you can see it. If you want a less cynical answer then something, something grail vessel and only half human.

Troll screen, but still relevant.

HVWfEqB.jpg

If you want a less cynical answer then have you seen Fate Zero?
She's only half human.

Not really relevant but I find it amusing.

0zfkCZs.jpg
Might be troll, but I wouldn't put it past Nasu.

Troll screen, but still relevant.

HVWfEqB.jpg

If you want a less cynical answer then have you seen Fate Zero?
She's only half human.

Not really relevant but I find it amusing.

0zfkCZs.jpg
Might be troll, but I wouldn't put it past Nasu.

1: I've seen F/Z, but I thought that since she was half human, Illya would age normally.

2: I get the feeling that we're not going to be seeing those scenes in the anime XD

Episode 14

Backstory for Caster so we can see she really is the gentle woman Archer so eloquently said she was at the end of the last season, followed by build up to the inevitable grimdark bullshit that'll happen next week. Awesome.

Fucking hell this show is trying so hard to be taken seriously that they can't see just how far they've shoved their head up their arse, all that edgy bullshit with Caster's first master sacrificing kids to make mana made me roll my eyes so hard they're still looking out the back of my skull, Sella and Leys getting killed by the Fuckface of Kings was just as bad. And that's a huge gripe for me, Gilgamesh was one of the more interesting characters in F/Z, by no means was he a sympathetic character, but he was scheming, confident in his strength, and had respect for strong opponents, he was also pretty intelligent too. In this he's just a caricature of all that, we've seen his bullshit motivation about just wanting to kill a load of humans because he thinks there are too many, so he just comes across as a cheap psychopath.

I'm not looking forward to next week, I know what happens, and it's just gonna be a shitty dark-cuz-it's-kool mess.

Episode 2 or 14 or whatever

I don't have much to add to what Tae said about this episode.
The backstory wasn't a particularly bad addition to the story and I hate this version of Gilgamesh for exactly the reasons Tae lays out. Gilgamesh is the perfect example of how far apart the writing is between Zero and UnlimitedGrimdarkworks; he a complete asshole in both, but in Zero he's a compelling asshole that has a very specific point of view and a playful attitude because he truly believes he's above it all as the true ruler. This version of Gilgamesh doesn't have anything compelling to say and he doesn't even have Kirei to play off of. There's no sophistication to this version as Tae says he's just a psychopath.

The Caster backstory adds nothing to the character. The thing with the heroic spirits is the spirit they represent is supposed to inform their character so it would mean more if they showed a bit about Medea. I guess not everyone would be familiar with the mythology and a run down of her story would tell way more about the Caster than showing some blonde douchebag that doesn't know his ass from his elbow when it comes to magic. Just to echo Tae, adding in the bit where he's sacrificing virgins feels like a edgy teenager's idea of what is dark.

It's also just painful to watch Shiro and Rin interact. I hate every scene they have together. The story is bluntly pushing them together in a way I find very unpleasant. Partly because they are both unlikable and partly because their dialogue is fucking cringe-y and written by someone that I am not convinced has ever been a relationship before or ever interacted with the opposite sex. If anything they might have gotten everything they know about interacting with the opposite sex from anime because it's very basic cliches, but done in a way that's even more inorganic than usual. It probably has to do with how quickly she goes from having contempt for Shiro to salivating over his dick that creeps me out.

So a pretty bad episode. Next week's promise of action doesn't excite me much because I don't care about any of the characters involved.

Thoughts on episode 3/15
Lets get the obvious out of the way first, it's gorgeously presented as usual.

As somebody who has already played through the visual novel and has seen the UBW movie, I can appreciate the new content that Ufotable is adding, though there has been a little too much flashbacks as of recent. Still, I wonder how somebody who knows nothing about the UBW route would have taken this? Perhaps that flashback would have intensified any emotions that they had surrounding Illyas apparent death. She had a pretty lousy life, she was abandoned by her father in Fate Zero, had to go through all this holy grail shiz and then getting next to no love in Fate Stay Night - in this route anyways.

Other things worth mentioning.

Shirou is still an idiot, yelling like that.
Shinji is also still an idiot.
I wish Gilgamesh would change back into his gold armor like in the 2006 Studio Deen Fate route and in Fate Zero.
I like the unique ending sequence for this episode.

Episode 15:

The fight was boring, the flashback was overlong and only worked that way because Ilya straight up forgot she could use magic and Shiro drags the episode down even further by being a fuckwit.

The entire fight is a one sided curbstomp with Gilgamesh just standing there and spamming his treasury. All Berserker could do was stand there and block which made the fight a snore to watch. Berserker is a boring character with no personality no matter how the episode tries to build a relationship between him and Ilya. Yeah, he can't fight effectively because he has to protect Ilya, but that's just another excuse for making the fight a complete bore. Both Gilgs and Berserker are really overpowered and it took some bullshit to give one of them enough of an advantage to win the fight decisively and leave them both looking badass.

The flashback goes on forever and breaks the flow of an already boring fight,the flashback should have been done before to give the fight more impact, but with such a boring fight it wouldn't make much difference anyway. However, the big flaw of the flashback for me was the bit at the end where Ilya gets attacked by the wolves. We've already seen her sling around some impressive magic so did she just forget about her magic? It would have been more believable if she'd gotten surrounded and overwhelmed and then Berserker had to come and save her.

Then Shiro acts like a cuntwaffle.

I hated this episode quite a bit. It's one thing for the writing to be amateurish as I expect that from this series, but damn when even the action is boring as fuck I get really grumpy.

Episode 15

Knew what was coming, it was still shit.
Though I'm actually quite happy we didn't see Gil pull out Illya's heart, that would have been a grimdark step too far.

My main problem this week wasn't so much the exposition, it wasn't even really the characters as such, it was mainly just how ridiculously powerful Gilgamesh is this time around. In F/Z he's still really strong of course, but he still struggles against Berserker and Saber, and he has to use his trump card to beat Rider. In this he just spams Gate of Babylon, then the chains that were just chains back then suddenly have heavenly powers and shit. Heracles doesn't even land a blow, so there's no tension in the fight at all, and it seems that Heracles isn't actually immortal at all and he just needs to have 12 fatal blows. I guess that doesn't include the time Saber nearly cut him in half with Excalibur last season.

Illya's backstory was pretty dull, but nowhere near as bad as Caster's last week, though the shit with the servants in that weird pool all with weapons protruding from them was pretty shit. It also had a lot of shounen cliches, "THIS IS NOTHING" etc.

Also, you can't give a character one episode to try and make us care about them before you kill them off, it just doesn't work like that.

Yeah, at this point I expect the exposition to be terrible and the characters to be laughable, but I still thought I could depend on some good action. At this point I thought I was beyond being disappointed with Unlimited Bladeworks, but somehow it has found a new way to let me down. The problems with Gilgamesh all come down to writing. In Zero was able to make him the same asshole without being completely overpowered because it was understood a lot his character comes from the way he carries himself and has that absolutely confidence no matter what happens. Here he just stands with his hands in his pocket spamming attacks, it's boring as fuck to watch.

I'm not surprised to hear the flashbacks in this episode had added material because it felt like they were being padded out. I'll agree Caster's stuff was ten times worse, but the scene by the pool this week was pure faceplam as was Ilya forgetting she could use magic.

Episode 15:

it's funny you guys are complaining about how overpowered Gilgamesh is in this series when noone ever laid a hand on him in zero either, hell he even fought one of his battles while
sitting on a chair
and that was against servants who had free reign and didn't have to fight while protecting their masters but i guess nothing can be done when people decide they hate a show and won't see anything but the flaws.

anyway, personally i like this episode especially the last part because they didn't go through with "the thing" in the movie which led to a bittersweet ending instead of a grimdark one.

You might want to watch Fate Zero again because you're not remembering it correctly. Gilgs struggled several time when he bothered to get involved. Either way he certainly didn't stand in one spot with his hands in his pocket spamming Royal Whateverthefuck.

Episode 15:

it's funny you guys are complaining about how overpowered Gilgamesh is in this series when noone ever laid a hand on him in zero either, hell he even fought one of his battles while
sitting on a chair
and that was against servants who had free reign and didn't have to fight while protecting their masters but i guess nothing can be done when people decide they hate a show and won't see anything but the flaws.

anyway, personally i like this episode especially the last part because they didn't go through with "the thing" in the movie which led to a bittersweet ending instead of a grimdark one.

Which fight are you referring to?

As ZK said, maybe you should go back and rewatch it, Gil doesn't have many fights in all of F/Z, and in the ones he does, there is most definitely tension, and he fights on level, or at least nearer to level than this, pegging.
Against Berserker he has a dogfight after Berserker catches loads of his weapons and throws them back at him, neither servant is injured from the fight and both withdraw tactically.

Against Rider, he has to use a reality breaking weapon to defeat him, it is literally his most powerful weapon and is stated that it's the only way he could defeat him.

Against Saber, he thinks he has won, but then gets caught entirely off guard by Excalibur and gets fucked over by the Grail spilling over, the only thing that saves him is Sabers death, allowing Kirei to win the Grail.

Berserker in this show is supposed to be immortal, and if you read up on his stats, he is the strongest and fastest of all the servants summoned in this war, yet he doesn't land a single blow, he doesn't even come close to it. It's just shit writing.

Another couple of things that pissed me off about this episode
Those chains should be called Enkidu, as a homage to his only friend from his actual myth in The Epic of Gilgamesh, so it loses anything there by calling them The Chains of Heaven. Also, after thinking about F/Z again, he spares Waver after killing Rider, yet here he blinds and kills Illya seemingly for no reason. I don't understand why except for to try and make the show more edgy.

Episode 15

This could have been better if they put the flashback either a little bit before Ilya is killed or before the fight itself, not right in the middle of it (also it'd have been nice if they made it a tad shorter, it's not like those dead homunculi gave necessary info)

Those chains should be called Enkidu, as a homage to his only friend from his actual myth in The Epic of Gilgamesh, so it loses anything there by calling them The Chains of Heaven. Also, after thinking about F/Z again, he spares Waver after killing Rider, yet here he blinds and kills Illya seemingly for no reason. I don't understand why except for to try and make the show more edgy.

I admit there was no reason to blind Ilya, but she's killed for a reason which may or may not be explained in the next ep (it's mentioned in the movie btw)

You might want to watch Fate Zero again because you're not remembering it correctly. Gilgs struggled several time when he bothered to get involved. Either way he certainly didn't stand in one spot with his hands in his pocket spamming Royal Whateverthefuck.
i actually do remember correctly and gigls never struggled in any in his fights but you are right. he didn't have his hand inside his pockets while spamming, instead he had him crossed in front of him.

Which fight are you referring to?

As ZK said, maybe you should go back and rewatch it, Gil doesn't have many fights in all of F/Z, and in the ones he does, there is most definitely tension, and he fights on level, or at least nearer to level than this, pegging.
im referring to the
dogfight between him and berserker that he fought sitting on that flying ship of his without ever moving a step

Berserker in this show is supposed to be immortal, and if you read up on his stats, he is the strongest and fastest of all the servants summoned in this war, yet he doesn't land a single blow, he doesn't even come close to it. It's just shit writing.[/spoiler]
not immortal, just have more than 12 lives and again if this was a 1 vs 1 he totally would have came on top but everytime he tries to make a move on gilga he throws something towards illya forcing him to go back
Another couple of things that pissed me off about this episode
as nicknames said, he does it for a reason that will be revealed later

now i am not trying to say this is on the same level of f/z or anything, this will probably end up a 2.5-3/5 while f/z was 4.5/5 but the amount of hate and nitpicking going on is really getting on my nerves when there are far worse things out there. just start treating this like the shonen it is already instead of forcing f/z standards on it.

He didn't have his hands in his pockets or crossed during his dogfight with Berserk. He had to run around and maneuver before making a tactical retreat.

Here's the other thing even if we leave comparisons to Zero aside, this is still subpar material. The writing is pretty terrible and the show is so grim about everything with most humor being unintentional. This goes beyond shounen writing and speaks to the source material being poorly written. If this is an accurate adaptation then the source sucks as well. Of course the source has the general VN weakness of needing to pair Shiro with a different chick in each of the three arcs and crowbaring in sex scenes for its audience.

i actually do remember correctly and gigls never struggled in any in his fights but you are right. he didn't have his hand inside his pockets while spamming, instead he had him crossed in front of him.

im referring to the
dogfight between him and berserker that he fought sitting on that flying ship of his without ever moving a step

not immortal, just have more than 12 lives and again if this was a 1 vs 1 he totally would have came on top but everytime he tries to make a move on gilga he throws something towards illya forcing him to go back

as nicknames said, he does it for a reason that will be revealed later

now i am not trying to say this is on the same level of f/z or anything, this will probably end up a 2.5-3/5 while f/z was 4.5/5 but the amount of hate and nitpicking going on is really getting on my nerves when there are far worse things out there. just start treating this like the shonen it is already instead of forcing f/z standards on it.

Are you aware of what a dogfight is? That's like saying a pilot never struggles in battle because he only sits down and moves a control stick...

Back