Fantastic Children

Ep 19

Also, Tina's incarnations seem to somehow command devotion. Guys dying to get flowers and handkerchiefs for her, and Chitto's been similarly (although willingly) servile to Helga. I had wondered about that at the start, but it makes a little more sense now.

Hahaha, looks like I was onto something with this one. I'm gonna go ahead and predict that at least the first two of the three are incarnations of Soran. I think Chitto probably is as well, but I'm holding out on that one, because they might be going for the Thoma x Helga/Tina angle.

Also, cross-dressing Inspector Gadget?!?! D:

ep 16 -
Finally some back story. Wonder who Thoma is whether he is sesu or soran sure looks like soran but they could pull a switch. But that leaves chitto she seemed to trust him pretty quick

oh come on, the end is way too tacky

and they lived happily ever after

yeah, right

Episode 20

Man, am I confused now. Originally I figured that the scientists had managed to transfer Soran's spirit to earth or into another body before he died, but then they shake their heads after Tina asks about Soran, so presumably not. And they also say Sesu died. But then Thoma reacts to Sesu and Soran's names (presumably he's one of those two as he didn't recognise the scientists themselves, so I can't see him being another character) and I'm suddenly muddled again. I might just shut up and watch the rest of it. It's clear that making predictions is a poor idea.

I'm still at ep 12:
So they are ufos?? This is getting more interesting by the moment! Though I would like to see some improvement in Tohma and Helga's relationship.

ep 24
So thoma is Sesu well that sucks.

@gin I meant how georia or what ever he names wants tina as a weapon. if he has the tech to fly hundreds of light years across space they should at the very least be able destroy a decent size planet.

@coyotech
well...she could destroy the universe...which is why enma came for her, and considering they still fight with swords even if they have projectile and laser guns...well, i dunno.
i suppose the impressive part is that she doesnt need any gadgets for it, the other would be some sort of psychological edge if using her against her father...

ep26
oh come on, the end is way too tacky

Wouldn't say that, but it did leave open what happens to Grishia and their strange king.

and they lived happily ever after

yeah, right

I called it "let past be past, live here and now" and drew a parallel to Nadia. Cloud be how the Japanese usually manage problems...

Anyway here's Hesse's Irgendwo:

Durch des Lebens Wüste irr ich glühend
Und erstöhne unter meiner Last,
Aber irgendwo, vergessen fast,
Weiß ich schattige Gärten kühl und blühend.

Aber irgendwo in Traumesferne
Weiß ich warten eine Ruhestatt,
Wo die Seele wieder Heimat hat,
Weiß ich Schlummer warten, Nacht und Sterne.

Episode 13:

FINALLY! REVELATIONS!
Now that they've told us what is at stake, I am caring a lot more about it. The idea of aliens trying to return home is cliche as hell, BUT the interesting suspensful approach with its beautiful OST and back-to-basics animation gives it quite a refreshing twist. I hope the second half lives up to my expectations.

Episode 15:

1) Dumas must have so much fun randomly popping up wherever Dr Gherta is. Haha. No guy can resist having that kind of reaction on a woman. Makes me lol so much.

2) The music when Helga sees her old painting and realises she's Serafine is probably the most stunning accompaniment to a scene ever. I was enraptured.

3) Who the hell is that large lady in the tank and who are all those large guys talking to Dumas? Is this turning into some kind of imperial intrigue type stuff?

Episode 16:

Okaaaaaaaay.
So the background was explained, but the concept of this alien culture was rather corny - swords and knigths and royalty concept that could have come from absolutley anywhere. Tina is just some happy-go-lucky princess who runs around shouting 'Sesu!' and blithely going about her life. There's some nasty uncle who wants to take the throne.

Okay. So obviously Thoma is Soran, and Sesu is that little kid that accompanied Tina everywhere. What I want to know is how they all got reincarnated without the scientists knowing.

Lol. Anyone else here getting Sailor Moon rip-off vibes?

Episode 18:

Poor Sesu! His scene was the best in all the three episodes thus far. ;_;

Although, you know how Tina is worried that she's not human. Well, Soran is half robot, so I guess that works out!

Last edited:
Ep 19

Hahaha, looks like I was onto something with this one. I'm gonna go ahead and predict that at least the first two of the three are incarnations of Soran. I think Chitto probably is as well, but I'm holding out on that one, because they might be going for the Thoma x Helga/Tina angle.

Also, cross-dressing Inspector Gadget?!?! D:

Episode 19:

I would say that all the incarnations of her dying devoted companions are Sesu, not Soran. Because she never fell back in love with them. And you'd think a pair so star-crossed would feel some kind of connection upon meeting again in another life.

And here, right at the end is your detective. Probably the most boring element ever.

I too am enjoying the show, just not as much as I hoped I would. There are plenty of things here which are just childish and cliche, but then a few other things which go beyond the expected - in particular its knack for bitter tragedy and the odd bit of great suspense.

Episode 20:

Finally, we get to understand a bit more abut Dumas. In the past few episodes I kept thinking 'I don't see Dumas amongst the scientists... so how come he was running around with them at the beginning?'

So he's Tina's little half-brother via her evil uncle. It's rather unexpected, although I'm still holding out for an explanation of how he got to enter this world.

Last edited:
ep 10
Hmm somehow I feel the slow pace of this anime so far is forced - it's not flowing well. Many times already I was thinking "they could do it faster, and it would work better" or "this scene is kinda pointless". I hope it will pick up the speed, cuz so far, while it is interesting it isn't captivating. And in my opinion, captivating the viewer is the most important attribute for slow pace shows.

ep 13
Finally it starts to get some shape, which is a good thing cuz it's half of the show already after all :P Well they still left "Why the hell Thoma knows the landscape" stuff for later, which is also good since no mystery at all would cut the suspense ;] My opinion of the show slightly improved

ep 14
Ugh.. I hate recaps in shows that have less than 50 eps x[

Last edited:
ep26
Wouldn't say that, but it did leave open what happens to Grishia and their strange king.

I called it "let past be past, live here and now" and drew a parallel to Nadia. Cloud be how the Japanese usually manage problems...

Anyway here's Hesse's Irgendwo:

Durch des Lebens Wüste irr ich glühend
Und erstöhne unter meiner Last,
Aber irgendwo, vergessen fast,
Weiß ich schattige Gärten kühl und blühend.

Aber irgendwo in Traumesferne
Weiß ich warten eine Ruhestatt,
Wo die Seele wieder Heimat hat,
Weiß ich Schlummer warten, Nacht und Sterne.

sounds like romanticism...and if thats herman hesse your talking about that would be some sort of an anachronism...

i meant the part that soran actually managed to somehow get to earth (though he clearly died way before the whole process started)...even how they explained sesu being there...but yeah sure, love conquers all.

Ep 16:
WHAT?? This episode gave me the most ghasp-moments in the whole series. I always thought that Paruza and Mel were the most... you know, humane ones of the Children, maybe because of their relationship. They were also the first ones to fall.

I'm not quite sure yet, which one is Thoma, Soran or Sesu... But who is Dumas, some kind of enemy or what is his role? The Russian ending was beautiful, I thank myself for having studied Russian.

Also:
picplf.jpg

Automail? xD

ep 15 and 16
Woot they finally managed to caught me in the storytelling, and make me care about characters. Yeah, the romance is sort of cliched, and it is quite easy to notice who reincarnated as who, but I guess I like this kind of sweet stories :P.

End

Well, that ending was stupid. Predictable but not believable. Why the heck would the scientists choose to stay on Earth? It's like "Yeah, we've been striving to go back to our home planet, and may have soliloquised about it once or twice during our centuries-long attempt to find Tina, but actually Earth's okay too. It's, like, almost the same, and it's probably not important to live 20 times as long or be massive". Bleh.

Also, Soran's reincarnation finding Helga was pathetic. He just turns up, recognises the picture and then pulls the stupidest face imaginable. Hang on a second, I'll go and make a motivator out of it ...*time passes*... Ah, here you go:

motivator36ca5cef7068e7.jpg

Straight up, disappointing ending is disappointing. Overall, a decent enough show, but nothing spectacular by any means. Probably 6.5/10, I think. Good, but certainly not fantastic. :...:

Last edited:
Episode 21:

Things are swiftly collapsing around the ears of this show.
Helga's like 'You don't love anyone. Someone who doesn' tlove can't be the king of Girishia.' And I'm thinking 'How'd you figure that, oh wise one who only just realised she's a princess?' Dumas' story is going to be predictable as hell. I just know he's going to sacrifice himself for Helga despite mulishly deciding he's gonna bring her back into her old body EVEN IF IT MAKES HER MISERABLE! *sigh*

This a show of incredible lows and some average highs - most of which happened at the beginning. Still, not bad if you're like 12 years old and looking for something that isn't Gundam.

Episode 22:

Oh my God, I've so stopped caring. The episodes just can't finish quickly enough! I've even resorted to finally reading the books on John Major - yes, JOHN MAJOR - that I bought for research purposes while the series plays in the background. >_<

Episode 24:

Oh... interesting.
This show still retains moments of beautiful tragedy. That bit when Sesu kills Soran... that was amazing. And the music... god, the music...

But honestly, how did Sesu get reincarnated without going into one of those pods?

Last edited:
Back