Ex-Arm

Episode 1:

Someone really looked at Ajin and Inuyashiki and said, "no." And then decided to have the OP composed by... The All-American Rejects? Yeah, I don't know either. Wish I did, though. Knowing is half the battle after all, although with this show, I'm not sure if it's still worth it to win anyway.

I'm here for the Lottery Game and I'm bored as hell, so I've had no other choice but to pick up my screencapping habit from days of old. You sons of bitches, dropping this is but a sweet, sweet luxury for me. Watch me pull a Rorschach here and now to go, "I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me."

3a1yT.jpg

3a1yU.jpg

Gotta love Big Bro for setting the scene so neatly for us here. Hates tech and loves to cook. Got it. I'm sure those bits will come in handy later on.

3a1yV.jpg

3a1yW.jpg

3a1yX.jpg

Piss off a nerdbro real quick and tell him his action figures are dolls. You know, like pissing off an animebro real quick by telling him all anime is cartoons. Just be prepared that he might actually whip out a picture of his diorama or something. Or worse, a poorly-edited vlog of his Gundam unboxing/constructing process.

3a1yY.jpg

3a1yZ.jpg

3a1z1.jpg

This is our main character, by the way. A Luddite who goes so much against the trend, he also elects not to join his classmates on a mixer. That's done with the lamest excuse ever, too - who even forgets their ID picture for things like these anyway? - but hey, he makes it work.

3a1z2.jpg

I love how they just show us this random mugging that's about to escalate alarmingly quickly and then just decide to not follow up on it at all.

3a1z4.jpg

Believe it or not, I have also been described in a similar manner. Just not verbatim. That's because the working terms used in my case were, "you're as stubborn as a divorced Caucasian expat with his gut hanging out." I know, I was burned so badly by that, too.

3a1z5.jpg

Aw, geez. What a way to talk about a human brain encased in a titanium shell. But some back-up these bozos turned out to be. There goes my initial plus points for you, Batou Wannabe.

3a1z6.jpg

3a1z7.jpg

In this anime, you either die a CGI-rendered hero or live long enough to see yourself not get the privilege at all or else become CGI-rendered anyway without half the effort. You die in all scenarios regardless, by the way. And I wonder what SSAT stands for? Super Special Attack Team? So-So Animation Tactics? Somebody Save the Animation Team?

3a1z8.jpg

Oh, geez, if that's the best we can hope for technology-wise 10 years from now, we are probably so, so fucked. Who wants to live together in CGI-rendered dreams anyway? And super special technology normal weapons can't penetrate? Bah. Hypnosis Mic did it better, you wannabe bastards.

3a1z9.jpg

3a1za.jpg

3a1zb.jpg

Did she just call our MC a dumbshit? I think she just called our MC a dumbshit.

3a1zc.jpg

3a1ze.jpg

3a1zf.jpg

Again: also a thing that's been said about me at some point in my life.

3a1zg.jpg

3a1zh.jpg

Now he has become foot, the destroyer of worlds. Teenage sewer dwellers living in 2030 better watch the fuck out now.

3a1zi.jpg

3a1zj.jpg

Winning lines for a first date, this one.

3a1zk.jpg

3a1zm.jpg

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT GIRL ALREADY, YOU SHINJI REJECT

3a1zn.jpg

Gen X-Arm babies around the world: the hero in a what

okay so first off animation is bad like really bad but if you watched first season of RWBY you can get threw it. story line it self seem interesting but nothing overly new as off yet. first episode I give a 2 for animation and a 5 for story.

edit: apparently the manga pretty good more authors
edit 2 (1 week later): okay caught up to the manga and lets just say anime is doing this story really dirty and leave it at that

Last edited:
Episode 1: In case you've ever wondered what the cutscenes on gen 1 consoles looked like, the answer is: Better than this. Drink it in, kiddos. Drink in that sweet, sweet Dreamcast aesthetic.

Also,"Througharm?" Pfft! Hahahahahaha! Oh my god, my eyes teared up. Best laugh I've had in forever. I'm going to enjoy every minute of this anime's horriblosity. Might have to run play by plays starting next episode.

Episode 1:

I'm here for the Lottery Game and I'm bored as hell, so I've had no other choice but to pick up my screencapping habit from days of old. You sons of bitches, dropping this is but a sweet, sweet luxury for me. Watch me pull a Rorschach here and now to go, "I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me."

So glad to be locked in here with you.

Nope, nope, can't do the rule of three. I could force myself to watch Kemurikusa, but this is even worse than that.
Choppy fight scenes, lousy art design, and that's not to say about the nail-in-the-eyes CGI.
Dropped at episode 1, and I really liked the premise...

Honestly the animation is so bad that most of the characters don’t blink or only have one facial expression. The plot isn’t that interesting either so I’m going to drop the show altogether.

okay so first off animation is bad like really bad but if you watched first season of RWBY you can get threw it
at least RWBY's action sequences and Monty's directing was enthralling

this feels and looks like someone took a poop on an oven rack and baked it for an hour at full blast

Last year, I promised myself I would, as an "anime New Year's resolution," deliberately try watching anime from genres I don't typically like. And, assuming this newfound crippling addiction to idol shows is something that makes me cooler, I think it worked out pretty well for me.

So, in the grand tradition of all successful New Year's resolutions, I am continuing that journey with the Winter seasonals of 2021.

And, yeah, this was hot garbage. Which I have already dropped. Good heavens.

And, honestly, I probably would have given it a second episode if it stuck to either its crappy CGI or it's crappy standard animation, but it's seemingly random hodge-podge use of both just makes the already-dubious quality of the story that much worse. (Though, ironically, the only reason I made it through the whole episode was because that incongruous aesthetic choice rapt me with the same morbid fascination with which one might stare at a car wreck.)

he also elects not to join his classmates on a mixer
In fairness, he had a health incident that made the world go all swirly and sent him to the infirmary.

I assume he got such an erection from looking at the "hotties" on his classmate's cellphone that his blood pressure dropped. But I'm no doctor.

I love how they just show us this random mugging that's about to escalate alarmingly quickly and then just decide to not follow up on it at all.
If I were writing this as the 12-year-old who wrote this, that random mugging victim would turn out to be the non-android cop who woke up the MC.

Romance ensues.

Love triangle with android girl.

Again: also a thing that's been said about me at some point in my life.
This just made me laugh. And I wanted to let you know.

Drink in that sweet, sweet Dreamcast aesthetic.
Oh, if only this were an homage...

if you watched first season of RWBY you can get threw it
I agree with you both.

It's amateurish, which is bearable, but there was a charm to RWBY, early on, that made its inelegance irrelevant to the enjoyment. This show is, I assume, supposed to be more professional, which hurts it, no question. Even so, I think it could be overlooked (or acknowledged without world-breaking consequence) if there was something else to latch onto, here. But the knockoff [insert cyberpunk anime series of choice] is nowhere near enough for that.

Episode 1
Mostly just boring cookie-cutter crap. It's like a third-rate Ghost in the Shell derivative, but with the pro-fascism bent toned down in favour of wonky pseudo-teenage antics. The way the poor CGI budget kills any sense of pacing in the dialogue.

Episode 2
I'm glad the anime has the good sense to let us know which characters will be recurring or not based on whether they deserve the CGI treatment or not.

Oh, noes, gender bender kiss censored! I'll be charitable and write it up to this anime not wanting to endorse disregarding consent. Or maybe they didn't want to show how much clipping was involved.

Moan girl deserves an Oscar for her performance in the episode's first half.

this feels and looks like someone took a poop on an oven rack and baked it for an hour at full blast
i wont argue that ... damn it just caught up to the manga and the art in it is pretty decent...anime made a real mistake going 3D

I thought the animation would be the worst part (severely mediocre story aside) but somehow, the second episode is even worse than the first? I'm not sure if it's because this time, I knew I was in for more trash, but there's a scene where a character says something off-camera that really SHOULD have been on camera to make narrative sense but they're just....left off-camera.

Idk if this necessarily counts as a worthy spoiler next time you see them, they're dead on the floor?? If you're going to kill them off camera, then leave their body off camera too??

Is it the director or the editor who messed up? I'm just confused as to where the incompetence starts. I know most of the main staff has literally never worked on anime, so is that it? Did they run out of money halfway through? Did they have to shut down production because of the pandemic and that's why the show looks like a group project where no one talked to each other? What's happening? How is it this much of a mess?

I already know that I'm going to watch episode 3 because I just love to hurt myself or something. It's such a horrible train wreck that I just have to see how bad it gets.

I have to go watch something else as a palette cleanser. I'm never complaining about RWBY again - the CG animation was hard to watch but at least you could tell that the people making it actually cared about the story and its characters. Ex-Arm looks like it was made by people who hate anime. I'm so confused.

Episode 2:

Is there ANY reason we have to go both at once? What is going on with this direction? Also, can you explain HOW anyone is able to drive with that box somehow still that size? I don't understand the politics of this world.

Not spoiler reaction: "So... Church and CG? Am I still having a fever dream?"

Episode 1

I just had to see how bad this was and... wow. At least the CG animation is fluent but that does not make it good, at all. What made it even worse was the bizarre decision to combine 2D and CG with some of the characters being 2D and whenever both are shown on screen at once the result is really fucking weird looking. The lip sync is also horrid with the facial expressions being downright strange. Look at this, is it just me or does it look like she's enjoying this???
unknown.png
As far as RWBY comparisons go, even volume 1 at it's jankiest was far better than this. If someone tells me that AoT Final Season's CG is the worst thing ever I'll just tell them to go watch this episode as this is a perfect example of how not to do CG in anime.

I'm guessing it's probably just a low budget production, at least seems that way. If that's the case I feel kinda bad. It's good to give support to the aspiring artists. I could see this being sort of ok if it only had decent animation.

I'm guessing it's probably just a low budget production, at least seems that way. If that's the case I feel kinda bad. It's good to give support to the aspiring artists. I could see this being sort of ok if it only had decent animation.
As far as I can tell, it's directed by some live-action dude, animated by a studio that's only done backgrounds up until now, and storyboarded by an IT firm.

This just made me laugh. And I wanted to let you know.

Say, thanks! The pleasure's all mine, friend-o.

Episode 2:

Aw great, I just figured out why they've reduced our MC to a talking block of titanium. It's so they have less lip movements to animate. You notice how everybody's mouth barely even moves? Almost? See how that's also the reason why most of today's baddies are in hoods, so they don't have to do any extra animation for them? And that slow motion - that's because anything faster than that will make their systems overheat from all the extra high-def work, you dig?

I'm glad the anime has the good sense to let us know which characters will be recurring or not based on whether they deserve the CGI treatment or not.

CGI's also helpful for knowing which character's going to do a lot of moving later in the episode.

3ac9K.jpg

3ac9L.jpg

wait I forgot what this guy meant is he talking about Facebook

3ac9M.jpg

Are they sure she's being upgraded though, 'cos to me it just looks like she's... nah, I'm not gonna say it.

3ac9N.jpg

A visual representation of what should be a sane reaction to whatever the fuck this thing thinks is animation.

3ac9P.jpg

All this damn talk about the stupid Megafloat and you'd think they were talking about protesting a goddamn parade. Turns out it's just the same old political bullshit.

3ac9R.jpg

Minami's WHAT

3ac9S.jpg

Extract her WHAT

3ac9T.jpg

Now that they've introduced this super quirky fun character who sounds less than impressed about being dragged out of the lab to take part in this shitshow, watch her do absolutely nothing from here on out.

3ac9U.jpg

Technology's still living large in the year 2030, I see.

3aca6.jpg

3aca8.jpg

3aca9.jpg

3acaa.jpg

3acab.jpg

You know what, I'm just gonna go and... yeah.

3acac.jpg

OH HELL YEAH WELCOME TO THE YEAR TWO THOUSAND AND THIRTY BABYYY

3acad.jpg

"Except you sisters up there on top. Thanks for not doing a single goddamn thing, you goddamn backseat drivers. Yeah, you two can go take a hike."

I wasn't interest at this anime before, but after the infamous rumour about CG of this anime. I decided to check it out.

I can say that this anime is totally phenomenon. Such intrigued, masterpiece. I shall remember this anime that is giving me experiences of:

- Opening Music, that bleeding both my eardrums
- CG animations that bleeding both my eyes
- Random zoom in-out + editing transition that is breaking my jaw
- etcs. Too much too point them out

2 episodes and I am speechless. I am expecting more of these, it is like getting high. lol

Well, seriously this anime is totally awkward joke.

Back