Etrian Odyssey

I honestly don't think I get that thinking either tbh, it's not like you're really playing EO for the story anyway in this instance.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bonus content, is just fantastic to me, knowing, I still get to do more stuff in my favorite games.

Besides, for every EO there's a reason why the postgame floor and superbosses are there. It's not like they're just tacked on to extend the playthrough - there's lore surrounding their existence and they are canonically the true evil/threat of each labyrinth, so technically you haven't saved the day or conquered the labyrinths' mysteries until you slay them.

Besides, for every EO there's a reason why the postgame floor and superbosses are there. It's not like they're just tacked on to extend the playthrough - there's lore surrounding their existence and they are canonically the true evil/threat of each labyrinth, so technically you haven't saved the day or conquered the labyrinths' mysteries until you slay them.

And Atlus fans are masochists.

• It will be a “true culmination” of the series.
  • It will have a lot of map drawing. (“So much mapping, players will dislike it.”)

These two points highly interest me. A true culmination, sounds like this is going to be a really epic finisher to the 3DS line. Also, pfffft.............one can never have enough map drawing, that silly head. MAPPING IS LUV, MAPPING IS LYFE. Bring on all the drawing.

Last edited:
it even spawned a spinoff with a crossover of genres with Shiren the Wanderer, which is also niche.
a) there's actually 2 Etrian mystery dungeon titles (although the second is only in Japan...)

b) pretty sure the Pokemon mystery dungeon games took it out of the niche already

a) there's actually 2 Etrian mystery dungeon titles (although the second is only in Japan...)

b) pretty sure the Pokemon mystery dungeon games took it out of the niche already
Even had a mini-series in Nintendo Power for a few months.

Progress report: I got to the Hollow Queen yesterday... and now I guess I'll have to grind a bit with the overworld FOEs, because that bitch is tough (+ that evasion :o )

I was thinking of posting too since I started #4 up last day again after finishing other games.
I believe I am close to the queen myself. Those bulls with the rampage skill that hit 3 members really hard, and the flowers that put your full party to sleep and 1 shot them then, were a harsh awakening initially when entering the place. They are still a huge pain. Everything comes as such a brutal surprise, resulting in quick death the first time, lol. Like those bugs on BF1 of Lab2. Walked past em wondering why they didn't hit, then quickly realized what happens when you get an encounter near them.

If I ever had to describe the experience to someone: This is a game you live dangerously at all times and have to yolo to understand. Reminds me of Dark Souls, just gotta charge in, see how you fare and what happens, and learn from it to improve upon, lol.

Those bulls with the rampage skill that hit 3 members really hard, and the flowers that put your full party to sleep and 1 shot them then, were a harsh awakening initially when entering the place.

Those War Bisons? You can just prepare some buffs/debuffs first, since they only attack after you hit them - making them one of the easier monsters to deal with imo.

The Petaloids can go suck a dick though

Those War Bisons? You can just prepare some buffs/debuffs first, since they only attack after you hit them - making them one of the easier monsters to deal with imo.

The Petaloids can go suck a dick though
The characters I have that debuff are power break / sand throw, and I swear the sealing snipes never trigger for me even at 8/8. Relying on luck a bit with the blinding effect but it seems to mostly work out.

Oddly enough BF1 seemed to be the hardest. The enemies on the others are somehow really straight forward.

The characters I have that debuff are power break / sand throw, and I swear the sealing snipes never trigger for me even at 8/8. Relying on luck a bit with the blinding effect but it seems to mostly work out.

Oddly enough BF1 seemed to be the hardest. The enemies on the others are somehow really straight forward.
No love for nerve throw? Once I got access to that I maxed it asap, it's saved my ass a lot already! Although it seems like some FOEs can't be paralyzed? (or at least I never manage to paralyze them)

------------
After a huge scare yesterday (my SD card suddenly looked corrupted and it took me a couple of hours to fix it.... ), I managed to beat the Hollow Queen on my third try! Although I made sure to do that side quest that gives you a third burst slot first.

I'm currently loving how hard my Nightseeker and Runemaster are hitting, and my Landsknecht's Sword Breaker has been saving me a lot as well. In combination with my Medic who can Revive to almost full HP (drains TP a lot though, at 17 TP per revive) and my Dancer for buffs (and Energy Tango to save TP!), my team's actually doing better than I thought :D

No love for nerve throw? Once I got access to that I maxed it asap, it's saved my ass a lot already! Although it seems like some FOEs can't be paralyzed? (or at least I never manage to paralyze them)

------------
After a huge scare yesterday (my SD card suddenly looked corrupted and it took me a couple of hours to fix it.... ), I managed to beat the Hollow Queen on my third try! Although I made sure to do that side quest that gives you a third burst slot first.

I'm currently loving how hard my Nightseeker and Runemaster are hitting, and my Landsknecht's Sword Breaker has been saving me a lot as well. In combination with my Medic who can Revive to almost full HP (drains TP a lot though, at 17 TP per revive) and my Dancer for buffs (and Energy Tango to save TP!), my team's actually doing better than I thought :D
Hrmm, I didn't do paralyze because I found that it's a bit hit and miss in terms of it actually stopping them from attacking. Especially on enemies that can do multiple hits per action, if they fight through paralysis that turn, they hit everyone. If they are blinded, odds are they might hit 1 character max, if at all.

Bosses or super units just have a much higher resist or the game would be too easy. I think levels are relevant because I went back to do the boss in the first lab, and was able to apply all debuffs easily.

I accidentally fought her once earlier, thinking once you enter the room you have to walk to her still like lab1, only got her down half, but that was at lvl 19. Got revive skill and lvl 26 now and most of the highest gear from the store, so going back in a bit I think.. The NPC you get to help you is pretty powerful too for applying head snare and some party wide healing.

How does your Nightseeker hit hard? Mine does such minor damage even with 130 attack does 20, unless the enemy is ailed then 35ish, but the sniper/warrior do more still at around 100 dmg a hit. My revive is the same level too, it looks like you are meant to bring some TP regen items for bosses because it gives around 40 to healer. Your party is so diff from mine O.o, no fortress to tank and no sniper for binding, makes me wonder who is taking the hits and how they survive.

Beat #4 and all extras minus stalling on the last boss cause I just felt too lazy to go around and collect the 5 ingredients. I was a bit surprised when the dragons died to the instant death thing on one of the bows (only has 2 points of it). The whole game seemed to get easier and easier, but I did at one point spend a few hours breeding rare FOE for power leveling.

Moved onto #5 and the classes, skills pages, and UI feel so wierd. The dragoon doesn't seem to be as solid a tank not having taunt, and there seems to be a lack of ailment inducing, I don't see one with blind. The loli necromancer is cool though and the wraiths are cool. I like the graphics, a lot nicer to look at and the 3D factor feels a lot more immersive, almost reminds me of Pokemon.
Also, I swear the "shy" voice sounds like English Madoka, could be the same VA.

Hrmm, I didn't do paralyze because I found that it's a bit hit and miss in terms of it actually stopping them from attacking. Especially on enemies that can do multiple hits per action, if they fight through paralysis that turn, they hit everyone. If they are blinded, odds are they might hit 1 character max, if at all.

Bosses or super units just have a much higher resist or the game would be too easy. I think levels are relevant because I went back to do the boss in the first lab, and was able to apply all debuffs easily.

I accidentally fought her once earlier, thinking once you enter the room you have to walk to her still like lab1, only got her down half, but that was at lvl 19. Got revive skill and lvl 26 now and most of the highest gear from the store, so going back in a bit I think.. The NPC you get to help you is pretty powerful too for applying head snare and some party wide healing.

How does your Nightseeker hit hard? Mine does such minor damage even with 130 attack does 20, unless the enemy is ailed then 35ish, but the sniper/warrior do more still at around 100 dmg a hit. My revive is the same level too, it looks like you are meant to bring some TP regen items for bosses because it gives around 40 to healer. Your party is so diff from mine O.o, no fortress to tank and no sniper for binding, makes me wonder who is taking the hits and how they survive.

Somehow totally missed that you replied to me here :pokerface: oh well

- the paralysis thingy just saved me so many times, even on some of the FOEs, that it just automatically became my go-to status condition. I'll still have to see if sleep wouldn't be even better though

- my Nightseeker does about 100 damage normally, but ofc if the opponent has resistance to slashes that's a lot less. High levels on Ice Knife and Biding Slice definitely help though (still just arrived at 3rd land btw, I've been playing some FE in the meantime)

- for the tanking I mostly use my Landsknecht. And my Medic cleans up whenever someone dies (revives restore almost full HP atm)

Somehow totally missed that you replied to me here :pokerface: oh well

- the paralysis thingy just saved me so many times, even on some of the FOEs, that it just automatically became my go-to status condition. I'll still have to see if sleep wouldn't be even better though

- my Nightseeker does about 100 damage normally, but ofc if the opponent has resistance to slashes that's a lot less. High levels on Ice Knife and Biding Slice definitely help though (still just arrived at 3rd land btw, I've been playing some FE in the meantime)

- for the tanking I mostly use my Landsknecht. And my Medic cleans up whenever someone dies (revives restore almost full HP atm)
Haha, a bit old now :P Just a tip, you want to up blind/paralyze for late game and use Releasal spell which is from the arcanist chain. The nightseeker does get incredibly powerful later with foul mastery and because the best/easiest weapons to get were the blades.

Once you get subclassing, it is a major game changer and made the game quite fun. I would research some good combos or the wiki for an idea of what synergizes, ach class seems to be 1-2 good synergys only and the rest a complete waste. Based on how hellish the later stuff was damage wise, I kind of wonder if no fortress will be possible for protecting your rear party and general survival. I noticed the LK got quite tanky, especially with the next class you unlock as its subclass, but something needs to protect your back units I think.

When you finish, you should get 5. Been playing it all night and it's quite different, seems a lot harder, although the start is a bit basic, but it still feels nice and looks a lot better.

Haha, a bit old now :P Just a tip, you want to up blind/paralyze for late game and use Releasal spell which is from the arcanist chain. The nightseeker does get incredibly powerful later with foul mastery and because the best/easiest weapons to get were the blades.

Once you get subclassing, it is a major game changer and made the game quite fun. I would research some good combos or the wiki for an idea of what synergizes, ach class seems to be 1-2 good synergys only and the rest a complete waste. Based on how hellish the later stuff was damage wise, I kind of wonder if no fortress will be possible for protecting your rear party and general survival. I noticed the LK got quite tanky, especially with the next class you unlock as its subclass, but something needs to protect your back units I think.
yeah I unlocked the subclasses and have been postponing more playing until I find the time/energy to research the subclasses a bit.

My Nightseeker's Nerve Throw is maxed out already though, so no problems there :p

Back