ERASED

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by g3data, Jan 3, 2016.

1. g3data

g3data Well-Known Member

Posted by g3data on Jan 3, 2016
    ERASED
    Alt title: Boku dake ga Inai Machi

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

I'm expecting this to be one of the better things airing this season based off of what I feel about the manga so far. Don't let me down again, A-1!

2. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

Re: Boku Dake ga Inai Machi

...How the eff does that long ass title translate to "Erased"?

hushasecret likes this.
  3. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Jan 3, 2016

Time travel = all my fucking yes. Hopefully it's as good as people have told me it is because I love seeing time travel stories done right.

4. thor123

thor123 Well-Known Member

Posted by thor123 on Jan 3, 2016

How does "pretty cure" translate to "glitter force"?

5. g3data

g3data Well-Known Member

Posted by g3data on Jan 3, 2016

It doesn't. It really means "The Town Where Only I am Missing". I have no idea what the hell they were thinking with this one.

hushasecret likes this.
  6. xCanaxCherry

xCanaxCherry Active Member

I guess they just wanted a shorter name.

7. CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow Database Moderator

Yeah, I guess "The Town Where Only I am Missing" is too long to be marketable. :laugh:

8. commonxreaction

commonxreaction Well-Known Member

This is something I have my eye on. I'll probably wait and see what everyone's reaction is from the first episode or two though first.

9. AdmiralMuffin

AdmiralMuffin Well-Known Member

I just caught up with the manga a few days ago and the story is taking some interesting turns.

Like I mentioned before, I'm excited and scared at the same time. Man, I hope this adaptation goes well.

10. CaptainSlow

^
    You and I both. I love the heck out of the manga, and I think it will translate well to screen. I'm still worried that they'll go to town on the story and chop it down to an acceptable-to-broadcast length, whist sacrificing some of the tense atmosphere that the manga has. :sweat:

11. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

This is one of the few things I can say I'm looking forward to this season. It's one of the only unique and interesting sounding premises of the season. Now we just have to hope that A-1 can execute.

12. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

Episode 1:

This was one great first episode. It was the first time in a long time where a first episode hooked me so completely. The episode just smoothly draws you in with how it introduces it premise while filling in the characters and the setup for the overarching mystery. It's an episode that creates a strong atmosphere without being heavy handed about it. It's not a gloomy episode. It has plenty of light hearted moments, but when it needs to turn on the atmosphere it does it very smoothly. I got chills during the scene where
    the mother got killed and also when he was sitting by the river talking to Yuuki.

It's clear the main character was deeply marked by the events that occurred during his childhood and it perfectly informs his current negative view on life. I'm finding him more engaging and sympathetic than Sohei from last season's Perfect Insider, they're both cynics with a bit of a penchant for navel gazing, but Erased's main character has a pretty strong reason for being like that whereas Sohei is just kinda an unpleasant person. I'm not saying Sohei is a bad character, but I already feel more invested in Satoru.

I like the Gimmick of him being able to travel back in time and hopefully it will be well used throughout the course of the series. He's already traveled back to the 1980s, but I'm hoping he'll have small jumps while there like he does during this episode because it's too interesting of a hook to leave out of the series after the first episode. I like the way it was introduced and used this episode. I doubt there will ever be much of an explanation for it as the anime is going to be more about him setting the course of history on a different path.

What I did gather from this episode is I doubt he will be able to fix everything. He isn't able to come to the best outcome, but instead he's usually just able to push events into a more neutral outcome rather than a downright disaster. I'm also interested to see if it doesn't cause him additional unintended problems like his mother getting stabbed because he asked her to look around during his second jump back.

I'm also curious how the girl in this episode will play into things. She wouldn't even be born during the events in the 80s, but the way she's introduced she seems like she's more important than just a minor character in the first episode. Maybe he will meet her family or something.

Anyway awesome first episode.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
  13. g3data

g3data Well-Known Member

Posted by g3data on Jan 7, 2016
    1:
    This could be the most I've been interested in a noitaminA show in real long time, and it's just the 1st episode! Morose, but not edgy. Philosophical, but not in an overly didactic and boring way. Best of all, this take on time travel isn't likely to be some magical fix-all on its own since it's very possible that Satoru might not be able to change anything in the way he intended with his revivals since its up to him to find what doesn't look right.

I must say that I am a tad disappointed that they skipped over one bit from the manga
    with Satoru having a flashback that took him to the moments before he discovered his mom and his attempted capture of the culprit that ends in failure. This part here is what really drove home that his "revivals" aren't foolproof fix-alls since it actually ends with him in an even more incriminating position. Here the police just teleport and immediately treat him as a person of interest. Meh.
    It was an unfortunate blow to an otherwise great start.

14. AdmiralMuffin

AdmiralMuffin Well-Known Member

Episode 1:

I have to apologize to the people who are only watching the anime because I'll definitely be comparing this to the source material as it goes on. I'm a big fan of the manga so I can't really help it. Don't worry. I'm not gonna ruin everything and bitch about how superior the manga is to the anime. Any comparison to the manga and spoilers will definitely be marked.

Well here we go:

Episode 1 is basically the first six chapters all crammed together. First chapter is 40 plus pages while chapters two to six are around 25 or 30 I think. So yeah. A lot of stuff got altered, shortened or just completely omitted. Again, no complaints. I just wanna inform everyone that a lot of stuff got cut. The episode overall was actually pretty good and it was really well-directed. While a lot of stuff did got cut, the overall plot, tone and atmosphere are still pretty much intact. Most of the stuff that got omitted were just minor scenes anyway and dialogue that fleshes out the characters more. Nothing major that'll affect the plot. The first few chapters of the manga were a slowburn so I guess these changes were understandable.

I was pleasantly surprised with Satoru's adult voice. It really suits him and the guy voicing him is still pretty new. In fact this is his debut work. I think he's an actor or something before all this. If he's moving to seiyu work then he has a bright future.

So... For those who are interested and don't mind spoilers I'll be posting the stuff the anime cut out. Think of it like as some sort of bonus or something . It's pretty much like what I did in the Gakkou Gurashi thread. I won't be posting everything of course. Just some of the more important or interesting scenes or events.

WARNING: MAJOR MANGA SPOILERS. DON'T CLICK IF YOU HATE SPOILERS.

[​IMG]
    The first revival scene was slightly different in the manga. He had to keep flashing back in order to find what's wrong and how he saved the boy was different.

[​IMG]
    Satoru has a lot of internal monologue in the manga, but it's understandable why these had to go in the anime.

[​IMG]
    A bunch of flashback scenes were gone, but they will more likely appear in future episodes.

[​IMG]
    Satoru being questioned by the police after the truck incident is gone in the anime, but it's not really important.

[​IMG]
    The introduction of Satoru's mother is longer in the manga and has a lot of dialogue. Again, nothing really important. Just some amusing banter between parent and child.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Most of chapter 3 didn't make it in the anime. It involves Satoru and Airi saving a bunch of kids in an abandoned building thanks to his revival ability. It ends with Satoru reminiscing about his old childhood gang who will play important roles in the future.

[​IMG]
    A very minor scene. Satoru has an argument with his mom after Airi's departure and smashes a window. Nothing important but this further implicate Satoru after the murder of his mother.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The discovery of the murder is a lot different and more intense in the manga. Satoru attempts to chase the suspect and it also shows his ability can't save everyone.

And that's it.

15. LinkSword

LinkSword POPEE BELIEVER

Damn. I want more right now.

16. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

Looky there. It's my first 1 and done of 2016. What a snore. And after Rokka, I'm not getting suckered into another mystery show.

1 out of 5.

alover982com likes this.
  17. Etue

Etue Well-Known Member

Posted by Etue on Jan 7, 2016
    Episode 1

Yeah, what can I say, I enjoyed it and am interested in it.

18. commonxreaction

commonxreaction Well-Known Member

Episode 1
    I really like this, a great opening to the Winter Season for me, as the past couple of season have had mostly let downs.

The characters in here are really interesting, and I wasn't expecting it to end how it did. I had completely forgot about the synopsis I had read. I definitely wasn't ready for his mom to die, but I'm glad he's got a chance to make everything right.

If anything, I'm surprised at how fast this moved, I guess it's because it was adapted, and you can see that in Admiral's post. As such, I think I will definitely read this manga. Although, I may wait until after this season is over, so I don't have a repeat of Yamada and the Seven Witches.

19. CaptainSlow

キタ━━━(゜∀゜)━━━ッ!!
    Episode 1
    I like the VA for Satoru, he's despondent without mumbling through all his lines like some VAs would.

And of course, they had to cut out some stuff. Suprisingly, it hasn't seemed to muck with the pacing of the show much (maybe) but in the manga the first Revival (and I think the second in the supermarket carpark) showed that they weren't an instant fix and in some cases had to be repeated multiple times like a Groundhog Day loop. It was explained that it wasn't (in a rather pretty sequence I might add), but I liked the show-don't-tell approach the manga took with it.

They've also made Satoru's mum a bit gentler in this. Her introduction, I remember, was basically her nagging the heck out of Satoru and Satoru being all like "god-damnit mum why". :laugh: (Also, I think they've cut out the part about her being a journalist? Maybe? I for some reason remember her being a journalist in the manga...)

I'm seeing glowy butterflies added in before a Revival event is triggered. This ain't Nijigahara Holograph, guys. :laugh:

I also don't remember it being implied that the abductor in the carpark killed Satoru's mum... also don't remember the landlord catching him...

Well, in terms of manga vs. anime comparisons, there's been a lot of chop-and-changing. I mean, Satoru's major time-jump (that gets the main story going) doesn't happen until chapter 6. That's a lot of content missing, and I think it's made a reasonable dent in character development since a lot of the flashbacks that Satoru and his Mum had (that aren't there in the anime) helped with that and it also gave a more complete picture of the events in 1988. Sure, there's also a heck-load more foreshadowing (outside of the flashbacks) and the limitations to Revival are a lot more apparent, but I guess they had to cut all that out to fit the show to a reasonable length. :crying:

Also, Satoru's reaction to finding his mum was a deal more heart-wrenching in the manga. Just saying. :laugh:

20. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Jan 7, 2016