Durarara!!x2 Ten

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by Guest, Jun 30, 2015.

1. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

Not quite as hyped for this one unless the new studio really ups it's game. Last season was good but didn't have the magic touch that made the first season so entertaining.

2. commonxreaction

commonxreaction Well-Known Member

Agreed.

It needed more IzayaxShiruo. That's what i'm hoping for from this season.

3. Tents

Tents Forum Moderator

Posted by Tents on Jul 1, 2015
    All I hope is for the animation not to look like ass-butt again. That was one fantastic drop in quality after the first season.

4. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

Looked fine to me.

5. commonxreaction

Episode 1

Well, other than the opening, which I think is awful. Completely atrocious really. This season seems business as usual for Durarara. I guess it's going to be focused on Izaya though. Which is probably pretty obvious, just from the cover. It'll definitely be interesting to see more of Izaya, and hopefully we'll get some IzayaxShizuo moments.

Otherwise, I've been wondering, since the end of Season 1 I suppose, where is Durarara headed, in terms of plot? It doesn't seem like there is a main antagonist, although I guess, arguably, Izaya could be called that. Each Season has had it's own stuff going on, building on the last, but without collectively reaching towards anything...

I'm not sure how this will end up ending in the long run.

6. randomredneck

Episode 1.
    Good God. That OP is almost as bad as the one from Parasyte. Yuck. Anyway...
    I can't say I'm a fan of Suicidey there. Her design is kinda meh, and she seems kinda boring for someone who wants to kill Izaya. And...dickhead Aoba is in their house. Super...

7. randomredneck

Episode 2.
    That was about fucking pointless.
    A whole episode focused on two morons who quit being interesting after the mystery from season 1's first half was solved, Namie's stupid brother complex, and a cameo by the Annoying Twins to really drive home the insufferable nature of it all.
    Suck episode.

8. commonxreaction

You think everything sucks. Everything can't suck, or else nothing sucks.

Probably won't ever get used to this new opening...

Basically all we found out is that Mika is crazy, trying to eat people's heads. I wouldn't say the episode sucked, but nothing really happened.

9. Jehowi

Jehowi Member

It's business as usual at DRRR!! as after each episode I keep asking myself: what the hell just happened? And then at the ending of the season it all starts to make sense. Hopefully this time again.

10. randomredneck

Episode 3.
    Are we ever gonna get back to Aoba showing up at their apartment? Akabayashi is cool and all, but we really didn't need a whole flashback episode focused on him right now.

11. g3data

g3data Well-Known Member

2:
    No real point to this episode since Namie and Mika haven't been relevant in forever, so them coming to some bizarre understanding doesn't mean much. Did get a good chuckle out of hearing what Mika wanted to do with Celty's head though.
    3:
    Eh flashback episodes aren't exactly what I needed to get back into Durarara (last season itself took a bit too long to get things moving) but at least Akabayashi racked up some more cool points this week I guess.
    A bit late on this but the new OP is really lame compared to what I've come to expect.

Op1>3> -Power gap- Op 3> -Another power gap- Op 4

12. randomredneck

Episode 4.
    Another episode focusing on a random side character.
    This time it's the profoundly uninteresting Varona. With guest stars The Annoying Twins to make me care even less.

13. commonxreaction

Episode 3 & 4

I want to like the opening... but it's so unimpressive compared to previous Durarara openings.

They are really dragging this season out it seems... not sure where we're going or what we're doing.

The only thing I know at this point is that Shizuo and Varona need to do it.

14. ZetsubouKaiji

Episode 4:

I thought the episode was great.
    I liked the way that it played out showing step by step what each rumor got started. I found the last thirty seconds to be hilarious when the kidnappers were trying to act tough and say they weren't scared. They just didn't want a battle with a Yakuza family. It was a brilliant way to end an episode that started with a bunch of wild rumors.

Plus it's been a long time since we've spent this much time with Shizuo even if most of it was watching him from Varona's perspective. Nice to remember how much fun his character can be even when he's not the focus or constantly sending people and debris flying. I almost feel sorry for the poor sap that tries to threaten him at the start of the episode.

I'm not sure the plot is ever going to quite match up to the first half of the first season, but even if I wasn't thrilled about the second half of the first season or last season I still thought they had their fair share of memorable moments and the finale of last season was just a ton of fun. I'm not sure where the plot is heading at this point, but I'm fairly sure it will come together in the end even if it doesn't reach the perfection that was the first half of season 1.

15. randomredneck

Episode 5.
    Do something already! I am getting seriously bored here.

16. g3data

g3data Well-Known Member

Posted by g3data on Aug 2, 2015
    5:

Well looks like Masaomi finally marks his return to relevance next week. Never thought I'd say this but I kinda miss the obnoxious jackass he was before Saki was introduced. He's been all mopey and shit ever since the Yellow Scarves arc.

17. commonxreaction

I think this episode may be the starting point for things to start happening. At least, it felt like it.

18. ZetsubouKaiji

I hope so because it's been half a season cleaning up loose threads from last season or even the first season in one episode's case. Flashback episodes and focus on minor and secondary character are okay, but I feel like this season has no momentum right now. I wasn't particularly jazzed with last season's plot and this season seems even less focused thus far. It's Durarara so I like the characters and there have been a few great moments in this season which are enough to keep me watching without complaining too much.

19. commonxreaction

Well all the major players are assembling once more. So I think whatever is going to happen will be starting soon.

That being said, this entire "ten" segment feels more transitional than exciting. I'm hoping that "ketsu" will be more like the first season, and that they'll pick up a better opening.