Durarara!!x2 Shou

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by Naga, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Naga

Naga Well-Known Member

Posted by Naga on Jan 1, 2015
  2. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

I'm looking forward to this one even if I thought the first season wrapped up pretty neatly and didn't require a sequel. However, there are indeed many stories that can be told with a cast this varied and a setting this interesting so I'll be interested to see where things go. Hopefully the change in studio won't be too noticeable as the first season had a nice bright crisp aesthetic that gave off a sense of vibrant energy which was matched by the pacing of the show.

3. Madoka

Madoka Well-Known Member

Posted by Madoka on Jan 2, 2015
    well i will be watching but that's the thing, i felt the first one was pretty well wrapped up, sure i guess you could find things to make this work, I'm just being a little cautious for now on how they plan on doing this one.

4. Sixpounder

Sixpounder Well-Known Member

Well, I wanted more ever since I finished first season, super excited for this.

5. JohnWatchAnime

JohnWatchAnime Active Member

we better get some cool Shizuo action

6. LinkSword

LinkSword POPEE BELIEVER

The first season was a load of fun but it never really wrapped up many of its plotlines. So I really want to see what's next in the novels' content.

Please, DRRR2, be that solid ground in the shit mire that is the winter season.

7. Funkgun

Funkgun Forum Moderator

Posted by Funkgun on Jan 3, 2015
    My wish was a continuation of baccanno!, However this will do for Exclamation series.

8. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Jan 10, 2015
    A pretty nice starter episode and a welcome return to the series.

Episode 1:

This was mainly all re-introductory stuff with the old and new characters but I thought it was handled pretty well nonetheless despite not jumping straight away into the action. It still feels like it has the same original wit, charm, style and fun atmosphere I remember from the first season and it was energetic enough to keep me fairly engaged throughout. Going back into the franchise I realized I missed a lot of these characters that's for sure and it'll be interesting to see what all these new faces bring to the table.

So yeah, it may have started a little slow but then again the last season was paced in a similar fashion at the beginning. I'm expecting things to get really crazy very soon and pretty damn excited to see where all these underlying plot lines are going to take this in the future.

Also, I enjoyed the OP too actually much like the first seasons' and thought the song was kinda catchy.

Definitely looking forward to more.

P.S. Random note but man, there were so many references stuffed in this episode. :laugh:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  9. CaptainPancakes

CaptainPancakes Well-Known Member

Episode 1

Still good fun

WHO ARE YOU

EDIT: I'm also glad they're reusing some of the old OST, like the one with the recorders. That one is the most nostalgic ;-;

The OP was pretty good. I feel like the first season had better ones though, but I still love the style of them.

10. Etue

Etue Well-Known Member

Posted by Etue on Jan 10, 2015
    Episode 1

Despite some sloppy animation here and there the episode was fine as a reintroduction to the characters and implied mild setup for the (sub) plot. As expected her headless sexiness Celty was again the major focus of the first episode as she should be.

and of course Hanakana is back to voice our shortstatured busty other female lead using her ever famous timid girl voice.

Commenting on the plot won't do me much good here, as a few potential elements are introduced and some things are hinted at. The music wasn't striking but not distracting either fitting the anime. This episode was rather subdued and easy going while still putting a smile on my face.

Now let's see if Newbie-studio can keep up or improve on this standard of quality.

11. tootalls

tootalls Well-Known Member

yeah, Glad they are reusing the most, makes me feel right at home.

I got a kick out of them alluding to celty maybe being pregnant and they the flashback buzz kills it with the real reason the word momma was used.... Celty is the cutest headless female ever......:love:

Hope one of the plot line involves her rejoining with her head, could be what Izaya was alluding to..

good stuff.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  12. randomredneck

randomredneck Well-Known Member

Episode 1.

I hate the hyper bitch in the glasses.

That is all.

13. ieatanime

ieatanime Active Member

Episode 1:

Well, that was bland. nothing really happened and they didn't even reintroduce all the old characters let alone the new ones and didn't even set any direction for where this is going. so overall, i am not really amused at all.

14. thepgo

thepgo Active Member

Oh well, good old durarara is back. So far nothing out of ordinary, but it's not like I expected anything flashy. Actually it's better, fits the style. Looking forward to see new characters in action.

It feels like they just froze the production staff 5 years ago, and now unfroze them so they just continue producing itlike nothing happened.

Also, the various mangas and novels references were nice. Chuckled at a nice sum up of To Aru world :)

edit: oh, they changed studios? barely noticeable. although i spotted a few badly done details here and there.

15. oninosweeney

oninosweeney Active Member

episode 1...... the more things change, the more they stay the same.
    looked, felt and was as convoluted as the previous series. i approve.

lets see where this one goes this time!

16. Funkgun

Funkgun Forum Moderator

Ep1
    Have to admit, I felt a little lost. Took me a bit to recall everyone.
    The dad looks to be as bat-shit crazy as before. Celty vs
    Bike cop, and other randomness made it worth while, but how did she loose that money in that skin-tight smoke bike suit?
    I am with Etue, Animation dipped in spots. The place in particular was where Celty gets paid looks skippy and had low frames.
    It made up for it a scene laterwith a gorgeous background.
    Op was fun but felt long. End sounded like synthetic voice fun, and loved the classic character panning that was in the older Durarara!!
    Lupin the III reference, and references to Irregular Magic High School were interesting touches.

17. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Forum Moderator Database Moderator

Episode 1:

I guess I had a bigger problem with the dip in quality than most. Some of the animation was downright janky and overall the colors are a lot more muted this time around. It looks enough like Durarara that it is not completely distracting, but I think the downgrades are going to be more noticeable with the burden of them producing three seasons close together like this.

As for the episode itself, it was okay.
    It had that vibrant Durarara feeling with it's billion characters and a ten different story openings. There's not much to comment on yet because we don't have nearly enough information to know how any of these potential threads connect yet. We don't even really get enough of any individual story to comment on where those are going either. However, that exactly how the first season started so I am fine with giving it time to pull everything together. For now I just enjoy being reintroduced to the characters once again and I kinda wanna see that low budget vampire movie, looks like just the sort of bad movie I'd watch on Netflix.

Celty is the only character to get substantial screen time this episode. She is just as adorable as always. Her bits this episode were the funniest and I loved the high speed chase, it definitely felt like gold old times.

Really needs a few more episodes to develop and see where this is going before I can say much else.

18. Madoka

Madoka Well-Known Member

Episode 01
    Decent episode for me, kind of felt a little blank though as it wasn't exactly last week i watch season 1 so recalling the whole thing isn't easy but for a reintroduction i felt it was done decently none the less.
    The use of the OST was nice, it's always good when you get to hear some old tracks which are actually good.

Also, i loved the scene with Celty vs the cop dude, nothing like that old thing xD
    As a whole, i thought it was a decent episode.

19. tootalls

tootalls Well-Known Member

well I actually did just finish the 1st season like 8 hours before this episode aired so what happened and the visuals are fresh in my mind.

touching on the visuals, it's hard to believe a different studio is doing it because it looks mostly identical except for Mikado's character design looks noticeably different. But that could be chalked up to it being 2 years and he's still a growing teen.

20. Schizm

Schizm Forum Moderator

Episode 1

Welcome back to Ikebukuro! As someone who watched the first season only a few months prior, I also felt right back at home. I'm glad the visual style is mostly the same and that they use some of the same tunes.

I loved the first season and gave it a near perfect score, so I hope Shuka can at least meet my expectations. So far I'm not worried and looking forward to what transpires in this season.