Drifters

Episode 12:

I liked this episode quite a bit. Toyo's battle with Hijikata was pretty great and it helped show how the responsibility between the drifters is divided. I was also amused by Hannibal essentially explaining his strategy at the battle of Cannae in the silliest way possible.

The Black King should have just promised Hijikata a whole pile of mayonnaise if he wanted him to withdrawn quickly.

This set the stage for the next season pretty well, but of course who knows when that's coming since there isn't a lot more manga for them to cover at the moment and being a monthly manga it's going to take time for it to build up more material.

I think this show did itself a major disservice by cutting the OVA in half and making it the first two episodes. The OVA flowed better as a whole and provided a good introduction into what the appeal of Drifters is. Splitting it in half left the first episode feel pretty underwhelming with all the cool stuff going in the second episode. With two episodes wasted showing the same thing as the OVA it crippled the early pacing of the series so it took forever to get to any of the really good stuff.

There's more story to Drifters than there was to Hellsing, but that's not necessarily a good thing, because story is not this kind of show's strong suit. The fantasy land here is pretty bland and the story is a lot of tired fantasy cliches.

The good parts are the over the top characters and crazy action. When the show got to that stuff it became much more entertaining.

The artstyle is cool, but Hood's animation was pretty meh.

Overall, I found this to be a mixed bag, but the good stuff was enough to leave me wanting to see a second season, which will probably be a lot more consistently entertaining now that the set up is out of the way. 6 out of 10

I agree with mostly all of this. The start is good (but better in ova) and the finale is nice enough as a set-up for next season, but the middle part was really meh. Animation/sound/OP/ED were good enough imo. I'm going with a 3,5/5

I hope they'll have the anime go beyond the manga next season. I mean, this studio is called Hoods Drifters Studio, and announcing S2 so fast should probably mean it'll be soon.

It was pretty good overall, didn't really go anywhere, but I guess the fact it's just the start of the story is more to blame. Really well made anime; soundtrack and effects were pretty damn good. I think my favourite thing about this has to be Toyohisa's Satsuma accent though. It is the most glorious, yet disgusting thing to listen to. I am looking forward to season 2 anyway. 3.5/5

I'll just take a wild guess and say that BK is Jesus.
(don't tell me if I'm right or wrong)

I loved the anime and the manga but every single time I have watched this anime I just keep feeling like it would be amazing as a game. Imagine starting out in the distant past of Japan then get thrown into the brand new world full of fantasy. Instead of just saving that new world you would be dominating it as your own. You would also have the benefit of being able to play as all these powerful characters and go through their perspectives of everything. If this anime came out as a game I would 100% buy and play it!!!

I dropped this anime because I got sick of switching between sub and dub versions of the same show just to understand what the fu**ing elves are saying. What kind of show translates the Japanese to English but doesn't add subtitles to the made-up language scenes...

I dropped this anime because I got sick of switching between sub and dub versions of the same show just to understand what the fu**ing elves are saying. What kind of show translates the Japanese to English but doesn't add subtitles to the made-up language scenes...

If you'd bothered to keep watching, that is explained. lol. Being unable to communicate due to the language barrier gives the anime a greater sense of realism and is crucial in the beginning when they have no way of communicating with the elves. You gave up b/c you couldn't be bothered to read? You really missed out on an amazing anime for that dumb reason.

I really love the art style. When ever i want to watch a dark, gritty pure action anime i want this art style 90% of the time. Still, Hellsing Ultimate did better to show it off.

The show itself was alright, it was really trying to ride "the rule of cool" all the way to end but the slow middle kind of gave it up.

Characters were all ok, but no one really stance out as it was a short prologue. I think there is real potential for characters and story. Need a season 2 so we can get into the real stuff.

3.5 or 4/5 ?

Last edited:
Back