Dororo (2019)

Ep. 8,
Is it just me or did I get Tokyo Ghoul vibes from that giant centipede? Kids have to be strong in a sense cause this was the feudal era, its kill or be killed.

Eh... I was thinking more of Osiris the Sky Dragon from Yu-Gi-Oh!:

tumblr_oh3z9bAVLi1tge3hno1_400.jpg

It seemed more like a dragon than anything. It's rather off-putting to think about the fact that the black cloud that it was swarming through was the very dead skin that it was molting. That thing was gross.

Eh... I was thinking more of Osiris the Sky Dragon from Yu-Gi-Oh!:

tumblr_oh3z9bAVLi1tge3hno1_400.jpg

It seemed more like a dragon than anything. It's rather off-putting to think about the fact that the black cloud that it was swarming through was the very dead skin that it was molting. That thing was gross.
His name was Slifer...

Ep9:
Finally the backstory episode for little Dororo. It's even better than the original.
There are no deviations storywise, but this version had it a bit simplified. In the original Dororo's father was a monstrous fighter that could level a building and the betrayal was drawn out more. But simplifying made it a bit more nihilistic, which fits the tone of the remake much better.
His parents were strong, but not superhuman and by making the betrayal more mundane, it appears more bleak and something one can do nothing against. It is more inevitable.

Also, Hyakkimaru is precious trying to help Dororo. Carrying him around and asking for help with the limited possibilities of him. I like all the last episodes showing the bond between them.

I wonder though why the reveal was so nonchalant, just kinda an afterthought. Both the manga and the original anime had it fairly at the end. Even if it's kinda cute how they handled it with Dororo blushing and Hyakkimaru trying to ignore it when asked. Maybe they'll pick it up again, because both manga and original anime was quite specific that Dororo identifies as a boy.

Ep9:
Finally the backstory episode for little Dororo. It's even better than the original.
There are no deviations storywise, but this version had it a bit simplified. In the original Dororo's father was a monstrous fighter that could level a building and the betrayal was drawn out more. But simplifying made it a bit more nihilistic, which fits the tone of the remake much better.
His parents were strong, but not superhuman and by making the betrayal more mundane, it appears more bleak and something one can do nothing against. It is more inevitable.

Also, Hyakkimaru is precious trying to help Dororo. Carrying him around and asking for help with the limited possibilities of him. I like all the last episodes showing the bond between them.

I wonder though why the reveal was so nonchalant, just kinda an afterthought. Both the manga and the original anime had it fairly at the end. Even if it's kinda cute how they handled it with Dororo blushing and Hyakkimaru trying to ignore it when asked. Maybe they'll pick it up again, because both manga and original anime was quite specific that Dororo identifies as a boy.
Thanks for clarifying the "identify as" part - I've seen it before so I knew, but after watching this episode I thought Dororo might be just pretending to be a boy since travelling as a little girl would probably not be smart.

Thanks for clarifying the "identify as" part - I've seen it before so I knew, but after watching this episode I thought Dororo might be just pretending to be a boy since travelling as a little girl would probably not be smart.

I kind of assumed Dororo was a girl since episode 1. He looks much softer, and feminine than most other characters. I was actually surprised when he started calling himself a boy. I was like, "Is you though?"

They handled the source material with so much respect so far, so I don't think they will change it. It would be a real bummer if they did that. With how subtle they handled everything I imagine it will come up again in little bits and pieces for us.

It’s strong episodes like this that will pull this show into greatest.
2019-03-04_225633.jpg

:crying::crying::crying:

Yeah, the last three episodes, but this one in particular solidifies it as my favorite of the season. I like Neverland, but this has become that one "must watch as soon as I can" show for me.

The episode was heartbreaking, but it also makes me love the bond Dororo and Hyakkimaru have formed all the more. They've both been so beaten down through life that they really deserve having someone they can completely trust. Hyakkimaru has come a long way actually staying three days to help nurse Dororo back to health. His road to becoming something more than a demon killing machine has had a lot of bumps, but his nearly wordless progress has been great to watch.

The simple brutal betrayal was well done. I'm glad it wasn't dragged out. I'm also kind of glad that the guy that betrayed then was just being pragmatic rather than being evil or sadistic. He's still an awful person and his callous treatment of the pair still make me hate him, but it could have been even worse. Funny enough I think Dororo did understand a bit about what the guy was saying about using your brains because strength alone isn't enough. Dororo became a survivor and he's definitely one to use his head and search for an angle.

Episode 9:
Man, layin' it on thick with the classic spider lily symbol. I love it =D Manjushage is actually a name I haven't heard for them before, usually I hear Higanbana, so that was neat to learn something more about something I thought I already knew pretty well. Funny how it keeps coming up this season...

But yeah, this was a nice episode, I'm glad this is getting 2 cour so they could take time for stuff like this rather than having to keep rushing through killing the demons. I may not have a ton of things to keep up with this season, but they are some good shit :o

Episode 9.
Boring and depressing. I want demon fights, not dreary ass backstory.
I don't even care that he's a chick.
This episode was a snooze.

2S4rs.jpg

2S4rt.jpg

2S4ru.jpg

2S4rw.jpg

WELL GUESS HE'LL DIE

I MEAN SHE

HOLD UP WAIT A MINUTE IS THIS SHOW FOR REAL?!

I have a dirty, dirty confession to make, and it's that I didn't pay much attention to everything else that came after the reveal, because HOLY SHIT WHAT?! I thought the subtitles must have messed up a part somewhere, but oh well, there it is, Dororo's a girl and this necessitates a rewatch of the highest order, just so I can get the chance to see this series in a whole new light. Show's not even done yet and I already want to see it again. That's when you know this one's something special.

Besides that, I think one of the other big reveals was that Dororo, our little fighter Dororo, is an actual child of the yakuza. Tough poor folk rising up against The Man? Yeah, man, best believe that's where the yakuza got their roots from. I think? Well, whatever. Point is, they're poor people trying to rob and kill the rich. If that's not gangsta enough for you, then I don't know what else is. Speaking of which, I hope Itachi's long dead in a ditch. There's probably a reason he hasn't shown up in the present timeline, and I hope that's because he's dead, that slimy little asshole fuck. He might make a dramatic return, yeah, okay, but I think that dramatic entrance is already reserved by Other Baby, who also had some lightning flash so ominously in his face just like his father.

Isn't it interesting and cute to find out Hyakkimaru and Dororo's fathers are sworn enemies? Look at our two protagonists, forging bonds and breaking misconceptions along the way, they're so easy to root for and I love it. I'm basically using suspension of disbelief right now when it comes to Hyakkimaru's remarkable understanding of the Japanese language despite being mute and deaf since birth, but still. These two are the best duo right now, nothing else can compare.

Great, now I'm sad. This episode makes me sad. Just when I thought nothing could ever top Mio and her kids, they gotta go and lay the kid's entire backstory on me. That's not fair. They gotta know I can't process so many feelings all at once, right? Man, they gotta.

2S4rx.jpg

2S4ry.jpg

2S4rz.jpg

*Hyakkimaru awkwardly hides the red spider lily he brought home as a get well soon present for Dororo*

Further thoughts on episode 9,
the fact that Dororo has been hiding her gender makes a lot of sense in the long run. Its the same sort of reason why Arya Stark hid her gender on Game of Thrones. People are depraved, and you have to do whatever it takes to protect yourself. Others may feel different, but I think this episode was important for the character.

Further thoughts on episode 9,
the fact that Dororo has been hiding her gender makes a lot of sense in the long run. Its the same sort of reason why Arya Stark hid her gender on Game of Thrones. People are depraved, and you have to do whatever it takes to protect yourself. Others may feel different, but I think this episode was important for the character.

It's a sad but realistic take on life. Women are already scared to walk the streets by themselves nowadays, imagine back in those days...

If I had time I'd make quite the lengthy analysis post about the latest episode but since I don't I just gotta say, I am proud of the show for doing such a nice gender switch on us and it makes me appreciate the character designs a whole lot more.
Good.

Dororo's Dad was a bad ass and all, but I could see where Itachi was coming from. I mean, Itachi is a bitch, and his existence slanders the name Itachi, but Dororo's Dad was basically fury before family. Granted, it seemed like he was about to get swayed by his wife, but at the end of the day, it all caught up to him. Luckily Dororo became pretty damn strong and self-reliant, but it was still pretty rough seeing her full backstory. I'm not sure if it was more or less rough than Hyakkimaru's really. Mostly because I feel like Hyakkimaru wasn't aware, and was unable to feel the pain and heartbreak that I imagine Dororo had to endure.

I said I suspected Dororo was a girl after the 1st episode, but I actually knew she was a girl because after the 1st episode I googled that shit. So, I wasn't surprised at all, but I do think the way it was revealed was well done. Although, at the end of the day, I also feel like it was wasted on Hyakkimaru because he probably doesn't fully comprehend these things right now. He's over here like, "I don't know what that word means." He was just like, "Dororo, body, hot." So, I don't feel like there are any ramifications to that revelation, other than it's a little more interesting that Dororo is a young girl helping Hyakkimaru with this shit than if Dororo had been a boy. The main thing about it now is, how is that going to affect the future?

I'm also excited about the reveal at the end. We now know for sure that shit dad knows that his cursed child is alive, and well. So, what's he planning to do about that? I'm definitely looking forward to some sort of confrontation soon. Either Hyakkimaru and shit dad, or Hyakkimaru and his brother.

Back