Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro

Uh... the latter.
Ah. Fair enough.

Either way, if it's deliberate on the MC's part that just makes him even a wackjob wimp instead of just a wimp.
I mean, the show's about a guy being bullied/"bullied" so it stands to reason that it has a guy who is bulliable in it. If he wasn't a solid target for her, it'd be a different show.
I think the flashback to his childhood bullies, last week, shows us that he'd react differently than he does to Nagatoro if he actually felt like he was truly being harassed: he'd shut down, rather than react.

And he's definitely wimpy. I'd never argue that point. But, regardless of whether it seems like narratively justified wimpiness or not, I think it makes sense that he'd continue the behavior that seems to be getting him what he wants (i.e. Nagatoro's attention).

Though, at the same time, he changed his tactics just as much as she did, this week: where she teased/flirted rather than tormented, he went along with or somewhat called her bluff rather than crumpled into a heap and cried.

It's like Pride and Prejudice up in here.

Episode 2! I liked this episode a lot more than episode 1, which at times just seemed more cruel than funny
The archer scene was perfectly overdramatic! Honestly, I liked the gags in the episode-except for the cold open, which is a shame. The vampire theme for the first gag made me laugh, though it was a little stretched out. I get the role reversal with the 'get lucky gag, but if the gag it's based on is overused, is this...unfunny?
I don't really know :baka:
I liked the cafe scene- it helps cement that Nagataro only teases people she finds interesting, or deems worthy of teasing. Also, I like how Nagataro's friends aren't 1 dimensional mean girls, and seem like individuals in their own right. I hate how friend groups are sterotyped. I look forward to seeing more of nagataro's friends in the next ep

if the gag it's based on is overused, is this...unfunny?
Oo, I like this question.

I think the joke here works--structurally--because of the setup (the teasing about the manga), which means that the joke isn't the inadvertent groping but that the inadvertent groping happened. (Further, that it happened to him rather than to her. (Further that she mocked him for the cliche, then found herself as the perpetrator.))

I like how Nagataro's friends aren't 1 dimensional mean girls, and seem like individuals in their own right.
Great point. It was a good scene to get across that they've both got these personas they play with, when they're in "gal" mode. Which might not be all that different from their regular personalities, of course, but it's certainly a deliberate exaggeration.

or is it that you think it just doesn't land?
that.
I mean, i get he is likely playing into it on purpose anyway (or not on purpose but he doesn't oppose it) but this feels stupider, i prefer to stick with the whole thing not landing with me personally, that way its more of a subjective opinion in that i can't maybe appreciate.

The bullying has very much turned into the teasing and schoolyard flirtation (where the girls chase the boys, to the great confusion of the boys) that last week's torment seemed to hide, making this episode much more palatable, even if it sort of--just a little bit--retroactively makes her Ep 1 behavior that much worse, by comparison.
I will agree here though, the "toned down" bullying feels better in that i can at least begin to accept its supposed to be teasing... but yeah it does make episode 1's behaviour seem worse by comparison...

Also: shoutout to Big Boob Vampires and our MC's recognition of the all-important hot springs episode.
Big Boob Vampires in its self is a pretty funny name! But yeah i will grant the MC a point, he knows what matters!

he went along with or somewhat called her bluff rather than crumpled into a heap and cried.
He was so close to winning the nipple game, man if nothing else i think i might of laughed seeing her expression if he would of continued (and if the phone didn't ring).

I liked the cafe scene- it helps cement that Nagataro only teases people she finds interesting, or deems worthy of teasing.
I did enjoy this scene, whilst it was interesting to see the contrast in her behaviour around MC to normal dudes hitting on her, it did as you say create the dynamic of knowing its just MC she behaves like this around. It also sold me extra points in she was still "hard" on them both (apparently), she dug down into there pitiful excuse of pickups and sailed them down the river (i personally enjoyed the dude who "it doesn't feel like your into it"... that comment must of stung, especially if true. The other guy was just a moron and deserves to walk away.

I look forward to seeing more of nagataro's friends in the next ep
Though i can't say i look forward to this.
Putting my feelings aside for Nagatoro, i can't help imagine a group around this guy will return to episode 1 style torment/bullying over tease, I'm not saying this will happen, just it seems quite probable is all. I would hope the episode its self proves me wrong and it isn't so bad.

The first ep was a disappointment for me. It was way overdone somehow and not was I was expecting, but I guess they wanted to set the stage somewhat and overdid it as usual. I mean, are they deliberately portraying the mc as weaker and more feeble than he is? Or did I remember wrongly from the manga? Hm...
Well it was fun to see it as an anime in any case. I have hopes for it and I like the manga and how the story progress so I really hope this will be as good.

The only thing that annoys me as usual is the stupid sound effects that the business use over and over. His swallowing is so exaggerated that it puts me off. Serioustly? No one sounds like that... EVER! :frustrat:
Any how, I'm looking forward to how they will portray Nagatoros friends next time. :)

Though i can't say i look forward to this.
Putting my feelings aside for Nagatoro, i can't help imagine a group around this guy will return to episode 1 style torment/bullying over tease, I'm not saying this will happen, just it seems quite probable is all. I would hope the episode its self proves me wrong and it isn't so bad.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I did hate seeing him get gang bullied in the first episode. However, now we have that connection between Nagataro and Senpai, I'm sure the dynamic will change. It seems like the show will point out the difference between Nagataro's teasing and the others flat out bullying again, maybe?

I'm just going to sit here and repeatedly appreciate noodletoro arms finally being animated:

06d.gif

I really prefer this over the other teasing shows and the character development on top is nice, Takagi was too sedate and slow for me. *runs away*

I'm just going to sit here and repeatedly appreciate noodletoro arms finally being animated:

06d.gif

I really prefer this over the other teasing shows and the character development on top is nice, Takagi was too sedate and slow for me. *runs away*

I dropped that after one episode. dude was too slow.

I mean I guess for this type of show to work, the MC needs a level of naivety, but the level of dumb ass I could tell that MC was ended up more annoying than entertaining.

I mean I guess for this type of show to work, the MC needs a level of naivety, but the level of dumb ass I could tell that MC was ended up more annoying than entertaining.
The tenor changes noticeably in the second episode--though I don't think I'd make a strong argument for it changing enough to turn people around on it unless they fully dropped their impressions of the first episode. (And, really, even then...it probably wouldn't take.)

ep1
I have to say I don't see the appeal whatsoever.
The guy clearly is traumatized from being bullied in the past. The girl is abusing him even further because he has lost the ability to stand up for himself. Why are we glorifying abusive relationships now? There is nothing cute or charming about this, its literal abuse and torment.

Why are we glorifying abusive relationships now? There is nothing cute or charming about this, its literal abuse and torment.
In fairness to her, she technically doesn't know he's traumatized.

And it, um, gets better in Ep 2?

It does get better in Ep 2.

I don't think you're gonna like it, but it's much less...this. If that matters.

ep1
I have to say I don't see the appeal whatsoever.
The guy clearly is traumatized from being bullied in the past. The girl is abusing him even further because he has lost the ability to stand up for himself. Why are we glorifying abusive relationships now? There is nothing cute or charming about this, its literal abuse and torment.
I got slammed in the back of the head by a math book once. That was abuse. What she's doing is trying to get this dude to stand up for himself a little.

I don't think you're gonna like it, but it's much less...this. If that matters.
I'm still pretty "on the fence" for this show but i will agree to this, episode 2 is toned down from bullying the poor kid out of his lunch money to just teasing him for the best part, and the teasing wasn't really terrible.
There are still issues but it is a very different feel from episode one. I will be fair to it there, it feels like they opened the show in a pretty bad way, might wanna try the 3 episode rule here.

I got slammed in the back of the head by a math book once. That was abuse. What she's doing is trying to get this dude to stand up for himself a little.
Totally off topic but man do i wish teachers could do this to kids, i would apply right now to be a teacher! I get the feeling you wasn't talking about a teacher but i felt it relevant for people to realise i clearly have a terrible sense of delivering divine punishment on people... maybe i should request prison guards can do this and apply for that job... i will get myself checked out, i swear.

Totally off topic but man do i wish teachers could do this to kids, i would apply right now to be a teacher!
My 8th grade English teacher hit me and several other kids with an English book on numerous occasions. Aiming for the head but mostly hitting our arms as we defended ourselves. She finally got fired a couple months before end of year when she was denigrating me in front of the class again one day, and another student stood up for me. She threw the book at his head and bloodied up his nose and lip.

Don't be like my 8th grade English teacher, Madoka. That bitch was crazy.

Back