Doctor Who Thread

Well, Pope Benedict IX is an actual historical figure... Must be some reference to past Doctor Who, perhaps before the 2005 series, because I have no recollection. Or I guess it could be one of those middle of the nowhere, never previously seen things that this series likes to do sometimes.

So the pope appearing in the episode was the modern one in the Doctor Who Earth. Perhaps that clears up why he wasn't speaking Latin. Not that I know enough about what language a modern pope speaks in. Still seems weird that the TARDIS wouldn't translate it, though.
Well, here's your answer. Basically boils down to "Just cause".

So, why did the aliens need an entire simulation again? They could see the entire of human history, including its future, with those threads- why on Earth did they need to run a simulation?

Also, what the hell? The price of the Earth went from 'we'll save every single living thing on the planet' to 'we'll give back a blind man's sight' I feel like Bill was ripped off.

Why the hell didn't the doctor tell her he could regenerate or something? Or if that would take too long to explain, just say his species is fire proof? It's not like the explosion would actually kill him, it'd just be a bit unpleasant for a while.

And seriously, what kind of shit lab was that? The fact that the air locks could both open at the same time makes them completely useless. Might as well not bother. And obviously the only time they attempt to do their job properly is when someone's about to die. Well, regenerate.

And don't even get me started on how in the hell a mistake in decimal point could cause such a deadly disease. At the very least, if they were working with such dangerous chemicals they should have at least got control of the ventilation system just in case anything like this happened.

For fucks sake.
Nardole is dead.
The big threat was a goddamn germ.
And Bill just went Moffat writing stupid and doomed the world.

That episode sucked.

"Empress of Mars"
Now there is an obscure cameo.
Alpha Centauri of all characters. It last showed up in a Third Doctor serial...and it's still as annoying as it was then.

That aside, very enjoyable episode.

Yay! So glad we're back to good episodes again.
Gotta say, I'm pretty concerned the Doctor has seen Frozen but not Terminator. I mean, of all the films you could watch...

Pretty average episode. Certainly enjoyable, but easily forgettable.
I have to say, though, I am a little concerned that Bill didn't question the fact that an alien who's been in hybernation since probably before English even became a language could speak English, but wonders how a Roman can speak it.

"World Enough And Time"
This episode could have been great. I mean, it wasn't bad or anything. But the two driving "twists" if you so choose to call them,
Simms Master and Classic Cybermen
have been advertised for weeks. Hell, they were both in the promo for this episode last week. If I'd have gone into this surprised, I'd have loved it.

As it were, it was just okay.

This would have been brilliant if we'd actually gone into it not knowing what was happening. Why would you have the big shock at the end of the episode in the preview for it? That makes no sense.
Why the hell was the Master wearing a disguise anyway? Not like anyone there knew who he was.

Also, just because they're from the same planet they're destined to evolve in exactly the same way? With the exact same appearance even?
Complaints aside, it was a pretty cool episode. Just a shame that it wasn't as good as it should have been.

Why the hell was the Master wearing a disguise anyway? Not like anyone there knew who he was.
I think that's just a reference to old show Master. He was taken to disguises and such...like, really taken.

This whole finale looks to be a giant nod to the very oldest of Doctor Who. I mean,
regenerating on an ice planet after fighting Mondasian Cybermen is how the FIRST Doctor ended his tenure.

Oh, for fucks sake. What a load.
Spent half the frigging episode on a goddamn farm.
Simms did basically nothing the whole episode.
And yet another goddamn fakeout regeneration.

That episode sucked.

Since when could the doctor stop his regeneration? Like, he's dying, he really shouldn't get a choice in the matter.

And I totally forgot about that girl from the first episode. What a... nice surprise?

And seriously, Missy/Master better not be dead. I know they're not, why the hell would they kill them off, but Missy didn't exactly show many signs of regenerating. They better have a decent excuse for that.

Since when could the doctor stop his regeneration? Like, he's dying, he really shouldn't get a choice in the matter.
A few times, actually. Especially when Ten was involved. I cite the Metacrisis Doctor and his delaying of his regen into Eleven.

Didn't make it any less stupid here, though.

Holy shit. A female doctor! I dropped the show somewhere mid-season 8, but maybe I should give it another chance :)

If you do, be warned. Season 9 is AWFUL. Clara just becomes the absolute WORST. Really, Capaldi had one good season. Which sucks, cause he was a good Doctor.
I have nothing against Capaldi or Clara, but the writing had been atrocious since around season 6. Leave it to Moffat to fuck things up. Same thing with Sherlock.

I have nothing against Capaldi or Clara, but the writing had been atrocious since around season 6. Leave it to Moffat to fuck things up. Same thing with Sherlock.
Well, that's why he's leaving. I think he finally realized his welcome was worn out. The episodes he wrote for season 10 (Which was great. Bill, Nardole and The Doctor made it a treat) were the worst of the season.

Back