Do you collect phisical mangas?

Discussion in 'General Manga Discussion' started by Clotilde, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Clotilde

Clotilde Well-Known Member

I don't know, I kinda got curious. I tend to read most of my stuff online since a lot of the stuff I like isn't licensed on my country, but every time I can, I try to support the industry and buy the physical copy. Plus it feels nice to have that two in one banana fish edition on my hand instead of a screen, hehe. I don't have that many tho. I have about twenty because, well, manga is expensive when you don't have a job ;-;

So when you decide to read something, do you buy the physical copy or do you read it online?

2. Lisebell

Lisebell Member

I don't think I own any physical manga, I tend to stick to digital copies (though I have on occasion borrowed from my library). I have heaps of books and I'm pretty much out of shelf space, it's just a lot more convenient to be able to read it digitally so I'm not stacking books to my roof.

howtoprocrastinate and Clotilde like this.
  3. FoodLife

FoodLife Active Member

I read all of my manga online, manga where i live is really expensive for a student like myself so online is the only option i have. But when i eventually earn money i'll buy the physical versions of my favorites whether it's licensed or not since i get to support the author

4. Yudesei

Yudesei Well-Known Member

Posted by Yudesei on Jun 7, 2021
    I have hundreds of them. Both in english and japanese.
    I've always preferred reading physical books instead of reading them on a screen, and it doesn't hurt my eyes.
    Furthermore, a lot of the manga that I'm interested in don't have official english releases. Some manga have at least a handful of chapters online - translated by fans - while others have nothing, so I import the books directly from Japan.
    I should probably clarify that almost all books I've bought are from series that I'm already a fan of.

5. AdmiralMuffin

AdmiralMuffin Well-Known Member

Physical manga and light novels are hard to come by here so I order them online from sites like Book Depository. Just a few selected titles, usually titles that I really like. The rest I read online.

Though I haven't ordered anything since the pandemic started...

6. Clotilde

Clotilde Well-Known Member

Same, It really tires my eyesight to read on a screen @[email protected]
    Wait, doesn't everyone do that...? :seriously:

howtoprocrastinate likes this.
  7. OkamiHime95

OkamiHime95 Well-Known Member

As a teen, there used to be a time where I would read some manga's online, on occasion, (mainly because for a lot of what I read at the time, there either weren't any physical copies, or the only English translation was online) but mainly I preferred to read physical volumes. There's just something about the "feeling" of physical manga & Light Novels that you can't get from reading them online. I'm probably the only one, but I actually love the smell of a newly bought manga from a bookstore lol. (Well, before the pandemic hit.)

Plus if for some reason you didn't have internet and/or electricity, or you're waiting for your device to charge, physical copies come in handy.

So yeah, I prefer to read and buy physical copies.

Edit: I also have lists of manga & Light Novels that I own, and ones that I wish to buy, so if anyone's interested, let me know and I'll link them.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  8. Yudesei

Yudesei Well-Known Member

Posted by Yudesei on Jun 7, 2021
    No, not necessarily. Not all manga have anime adaptations or related games. If the manga isn't available (for free) online, one would have to take a gamble and hope it's worth the money.

Clotilde likes this.
  9. Meron

Meron Database Moderator

Posted by Meron on Jun 7, 2021
    Clotilde and howtoprocrastinate like this.
  10. howtoprocrastinate

howtoprocrastinate Well-Known Member

I read manga online or from the library. Although, I haven't really gone to the library much since the pandemic. After I finish college, I might buy some of the manga that I've already read and enjoyed. Probably Berserk, which was one of my earliest reads.

Clotilde and OkamiHime95 like this.
  11. daisicles

daisicles Well-Known Member

I only read legit releases now, but I buy lots of digital books any more in the interests of space and cost. I still buy physical copies because I like having them, but digital is convenient too.

howtoprocrastinate likes this.
  12. AnnaSartin

AnnaSartin Database Moderator

I read a lot of stuff online, but also have a respectable collection of physical copies that I've been collecting since 1999.
    :ramen:

13. apoc9

apoc9 Well-Known Member

Posted by apoc9 on Jun 10, 2021
    Yes. I collect physical volumes of selected series for both sentimental and practical reasons.

Benefits of having physical volumes in 2021:
    Digital manga requires servers to be online unless you download everything into your phone, which isn't feasible.
    Censorship - at any point in time company, which sold you digital copy can delete the manga or book (e.g. Amazon) retroactively with a press of a button.

Downside is space. I have already full bookshelves and some series I had to put in boxes. It's also bit more expansive unless you live in Japan.

I do buy digital manga mostly for not so interesting series or manga I'm trying out and especially for older out of stock series.

14. SilentBookworm

SilentBookworm Well-Known Member

I buy physical manga and that's how I've always preferred reading books in general since I feel like digital can be slightly less engrossing especially with an internet connection. Although I do still have a digital manga collection, mostly for manga that either don't have a physical release, I'm just not as committed to or in the case of the Higurashi/Umineko series, I don't want to completely flood my shelf (plus the earlier volumes of Umineko are out of print and hard to find).

Clotilde and howtoprocrastinate like this.
  15. SodaFox

SodaFox Member

I had a pretty sizable manga collection late high school/early college. Easily over 200 volumes and dozens of completed works. Once I moved in with other people I donated my collection. I prioritized my video games and between the two collections I didn't have enough space for both.

I would love to have a huge bookshelf or small library in my dream home/super awesome gamer/nerd basement someday down the road but for now it's just not feasible to keep so many physical books.

I'm pretty old school and just can't get into digital manga/books. I'm slowly adapting to digital copies of video games though. That said, video games don't have that good "book" smell or texture, so it's a lot easier to make the compromise.

Clotilde likes this.
  16. Slaynoir

Slaynoir Active Member

I collected Blue Exorcist for a time up to vol 19. Sort of fell out of it since. At some point I'll pick it back up. I've never had much for actual physical objects unless they're important or something akin to use for reasons. I'm very minimal when it comes to things I own. I tend to get emotional over long held objects too, as I mainly keep them as feeler reminders as well. So if something has a bad vibe, it's not going to be around very long. Besides manga I do like informative books however; those I've a ton of.

Though now that I think about it, a lot of what I've got is actually from almost a decade or so. That seriously just made me age in a short span of thought lol

Clotilde likes this.
  17. hiyorii

hiyorii Member

I used to read physical copies of mangas at my local library but since the whole pandemic started, I've been reading mangas online and I enjoy reading webtoons as well

18. Slaynoir

Slaynoir Active Member

I only recently learned there was even a thing called webtoons. I had no idea until like, when I joined this site xD