Devilman: Crybaby

Episode 2 (fuckin' took me long enough...)

Fuck all the rest of that, was that girl making strangely realistic donkey noises while fingering herself?! Please tell me she wouldn't do that during actual sex, because that sounds like a hell of a mood killer...

Shut up I know it was an artistic choice, and as someone who sadly doesn't live alone it's one I can appreciate for at least not blasting this girl's orgasm sounds through my speakers...

Episode 2 (fuckin' took me long enough...)

Fuck all the rest of that, was that girl making strangely realistic donkey noises while fingering herself?! Please tell me she wouldn't do that during actual sex, because that sounds like a hell of a mood killer...

Shut up I know it was an artistic choice, and as someone who sadly doesn't live alone it's one I can appreciate for at least not blasting this girl's orgasm sounds through my speakers...

One man's mood killer is another man's fetish.
Turning the erotic into something twisted is a major theme in the series. It's about crossing boundaries and making the audience uncomfortable by twisting the familiar into a horrific shape.

Episode 3:
This show really loves the hell out of boobs. Don't get me wrong, I love boobs too, boobs are amazing... but I'm not sure it really needs to throw them around as much as it is.

And so far, it really hasn't been playing up the real stakes very well, the stakes of Akira's humanity... they've certainly hinted at it, but I just feel like it's still a little too in the background for my taste. But I'm sure they're getting there, it's just taking its time with that aspect... probably so they can front-load more demonic gore and gratuitous boobies to get more people to watch longer...

Episode 4:
My opinions on this show are so fucking mixed... There are some really great subtleties, but there's a lot of stuff that doesn't thrill me at the more obvious level...

Symbolically connecting Akira joining the track team as a representation of always trying to catch up to his parents: loved it. This dude from the rap crew and his interactions with Miko are starting to grow on me, even if I'm not a huge fan of the rapping (I'm just not a fan of rap or hip-hop in general... but I will concede, what's in this show is not outright offensive to my ears, and I appreciate what the lyrics are saying). And the subtly disturbing undertone in the characterization of Miki's parents is great (they're openly tracking their teenage daughter's GPS history like it's just a normal thing!).

But holy hell, the surface level shit is largely not grabbing me that much anymore, and even as someone who's normally pretty forgiving on art, I just can't get used to this art style... and I suspect part of it is just how inconsistent everything about it is... Well, I'm still gonna keep watching, but it's definitely a mixed bag for me so far.

Episode 4:
My opinions on this show are so fucking mixed... There are some really great subtleties, but there's a lot of stuff that doesn't thrill me at the more obvious level...

Symbolically connecting Akira joining the track team as a representation of always trying to catch up to his parents: loved it. This dude from the rap crew and his interactions with Miko are starting to grow on me, even if I'm not a huge fan of the rapping (I'm just not a fan of rap or hip-hop in general... but I will concede, what's in this show is not outright offensive to my ears, and I appreciate what the lyrics are saying). And the subtly disturbing undertone in the characterization of Miki's parents is great (they're openly tracking their teenage daughter's GPS history like it's just a normal thing!).

But holy hell, the surface level shit is largely not grabbing me that much anymore, and even as someone who's normally pretty forgiving on art, I just can't get used to this art style... and I suspect part of it is just how inconsistent everything about it is... Well, I'm still gonna keep watching, but it's definitely a mixed bag for me so far.

It's a very unique style and I agree that it's not for everybody, I've been meaning to watch more by Masaaki Yuasa, mainly due to this video...

I kinda feel his whole portfolio is just a crazy rollercoaster ride.

It's a very unique style and I agree that it's not for everybody, I've been meaning to watch more by Masaaki Yuasa, mainly due to this video...

I kinda feel his whole portfolio is just a crazy rollercoaster ride.

You should definitely watch that movie and Tatami Galaxy as they make a nice pairing with dovetailing themes. I'd recommend all his stuff, but I know it's not for everyone.

The Coach as a character was probably inspired by the Taoist philosopher Zhuangzi, who's known for a story of him admiring butterflies and getting into deep levels of existential understanding. Hokusai made a nice painting of him:
0084_large.jpg

As for the show, it just doesn't pull any punches, and I love that. It conveys perfectly how raw and exhilirating life can be when you get to that level of sensing things, or when you go through big changes. I felt a kinship with the (non-)transformation of Akira.

Hey, I'm finally back!

Episode 5:
Holy fucking hell, wet dream firehose of cum apparently O-O So glad that's nowhere near realistic, that would be a bitch to clean up every time you just need a wank...

Anyways... it was pretty clear throughout the whole episode that Akira has a lot of pent up sexual frustration, stemming largely from having the hots for Miki, who he probably feels like he's not supposed to have those feelings toward because of (as far as I can tell) being raised almost like siblings, doubly so given the apparent conservative bend in the house. And having a literal demon inside him is only making it worse.

Miko's transformation is so extreme that (between that, it happening off-screen, and the length of time since watching the last episode) it took me a hot minute to realize it was even her XD

And this whole thing with Kaim sacrificing his life so Silene could taste victory and then her just dying with that feeling before it was actually achieved... Meh.

Oh yeah, and... why does Ryo's new secretary look like the creepiest blow-up doll ever?

Episode 6:
Alright, well for one thing, this confirmed my suspicions that there were some sibling-like attachments between Miki and Akira, so... go me.

We've kinda known from the beginning that Ryo's a bit of a shitbag who's not right in the head, but he continues to outdo himself. Further, it's pretty clear he's hiding something: this creepy blow-up doll looking secretary has got to be some sort of hellish demonic experiment, and he suddenly has some sort of serum that forcefully transforms and enrages "devilmen" with no explanation? Something's up, and it's not good.

If Miko weren't an OP-as-fuck devil hybrid now, her back would be snapping in half from the cinder-block sized chip on her shoulder and those beautiful, enormous boobs. And now Miki was the one who pulled her away from the rampaging bull devil, so hopefully they deal with how pissed off that should make her.

Episode 7:
"God will protect me" Is that a death flag I hear?

Tell me I'm not the only who noticed Miko killed that guy and just kept on fucking... She really wanted to finish first... Guess she's gotta finish first somewhere since she could never do it on the track

I'm sorry, how do you not notice your son suddenly has racoon eyes and a tongue as green as Eddy's? Also how and when did this happen?

I don't even know what the hell is going on anymore. I mean, I do, but like, why is anything? The gaps in writing are getting to me. I think my opinion is going to fall somewhere in the middle, but edging slightly more towards negative at this rate... we shall see though, a good ending could swing that around.

I haven't actually watched the original stuff but I feel they tried to pack the previous 39 episodes into these 10 episodes so I feel we're missing a bit of stuff here and there that might have had better explanations. Also I'm wondering if modernising the show might have caused some issues.

I had no problems with the modern feel, but I do think they could have also tried to upgrade the show's final moral. I will agree about the length, a whole bunch of stuff got crammed into the last few episodes, only for the hyped Good vs. Evil conflict to get resolved just as quickly.

Back